follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

View Poll Results: Which sub <$1,500 coilover?
Tein Street Flex yo! 23 19.01%
Buddy Club Race Spec Damper.. hai! 19 15.70%
Other...please state 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #85
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
You gonna run the tires to go with stiff springs? If not, you can end up slower. You gonna lower a lot? Then you need other suspension parts to fix your roll center or you'll have to really go stiff on the springs. Doing this all with stock bushings?

Every time I look at modding suspension, it's like starting into the abyss. Everything is compromised and stock is damn good. I think I just need a bit more camber on stock suspension.

Oh, and tell me why my front tires are wearing faster than my rears, huh?
Tires: Heart set on DII and PSS (switch on and off as time/wear goes by), maybe even try the RE11a.

Lower: Just a conservative 1.25" to maybe 1.5" ..1.25" to me is perfect (for both function & appearance) from what I have seen - not too low (ie: sittin' on chrome gangster, supa dorifto or riceboi 2000), and not too high (ie: 1" lowering springs and the Ohlins r&t, to me, is kinda too high and almost stock lookin, and really itches for at least a tad more lowering). 1.25" also looks great/easy on geometry, cv joints and the lca's/axles parallel to the ground.

Bushings: No thanks lol. I do not want to fuss and GAS over every little thing, when stock is more than sufficient for an enthusiast/hobbyist (and even for many more serious track racers). Not to mention bushings are a pain to install. This is not going to be a serious racecar. Although I am sure I'd love it's improvement and feel, it's something I just don't want to upgrade.

I'm sure I would love almost everything - from a turbo/sc kit, to 10k coilovers, to every single aftermarket suspension piece out there, to 8k wheels, to a real LSD, to a rebuilt motor, to a fully upgraded drivetrain, etc., etc... but that doesn't mean I need it, want it, nor can even afford it, nor want to put up with the hassle of upgrading it ...I'm keepin it simple. OEM pride!

The abyss: Yes, totally agree. I want to avoid GAS as well.. especially when OEM parts are ultra reliable, have unsurpassed QC, top notch materials and super quality and is totally sufficient for hobbyists and occasional track/autox use for fun (ie: not competing). No need for GAS and replacing every little thing, if it aint a serious competitive racecar (hell, even mostly stock, it's still good enough for competitive racecars (as many many others have proven))

Last edited by fooddude; 03-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #86
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
What rates are you running on your SRC's for the track btw?
We usually vary between 9k and 12k for the front, and 10k to 14k for the rear.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #87
Carlysh

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a hard time deciding with one like the OP dont know if going with the Rce/Koni combo ( then i will want to change it for coilovers in the long run) or going coilover from the start and not waste double the money on suspensions if coilover I was thinking a 1,500 budget but when I do the research for 200 dollars more I can get the tarmac 0 and I know those coilover are top notch and can be DD and weekend warrior and have reliability.
Or building a fortune 500 with swift spring is better?
Sorry for the grammar I am working and I am on my cellphone lol
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #88
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We usually vary between 9k and 12k for the front, and 10k to 14k for the rear.
Ah..nice. Your car in the youtube tire commercial video looks like it handles great!

Do you DD or drive this car on the street as well?

Maybe I should try the same stiff spring rates on the cheap Feal/Fortune Auto (lol!) ...Go big or go home, right? haha

...maybe I'll try either 9k square, 10k square, or f/r 9/12k..he he he

ps: I don't even give a sh*t or flying f@ck about DD comfort/ride/etc anymore honestly.... just give me race coilover setup with super duper stiff firm rates and damping (not joking haha) and I'll be happy ...dd comfort/ride, half @ss soft rates/damping ...been there done that...no more BS for me.

Last edited by fooddude; 03-08-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #89
Carlysh

Garage
Quote:
Ah..nice. Your car in the youtube tire commercial video looks like it handles great!

Maybe I should try the same stiff spring rates on the cheap Feal/Fortune Auto (lol!) ...Go big or go home, right? haha

Yeah go big o go home lol invest in a part well made and know it will last than buying a cheap part twice
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlysh For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #90
CSG Mike

Quote:

ps: I don't even give a sh*t or flying f@ck about DD comfort/ride/etc anymore honestly.... just give me race coilover setup with super duper stiff firm rates and damping (not joking haha) and I'll be happy ...dd comfort/ride, half @ss soft rates/damping ...been there done that...no more BS for me.
The CSG BRZ is street driven; a lot of socal members haven gotten a ride, and generally comment on how smooth the ride is. They have no idea how high the spring rates are...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
juliog (03-12-2014), mokinbird87 (04-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #91
fooddude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The CSG BRZ is street driven; a lot of socal members haven gotten a ride, and generally comment on how smooth the ride is. They have no idea how high the spring rates are...
I think I've read that your SRC's are custom valved... but, do you know if the standard, off the shelf, SRC's can handle those stiff spring rates you're using too? (I assume, yes (correct me if I'm wrong) ..since they are "race" coilovers, don't come with springs (your choice of spring rates) and even the lower model Teins are already pretty darn stiff (MonoFlex is 8kg/9kg, StreetFlex is 7kg square).
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #92
CSG Mike

Quote:
I think I've read that your SRC's are custom valved... but, do you know if the standard, off the shelf, SRC's can handle those stiff spring rates you're using too? (I assume, yes (correct me if I'm wrong) ..since they are "race" coilovers, don't come with springs (your choice of spring rates) and even the lower model Teins are already pretty darn stiff (MonoFlex is 8kg/9kg, StreetFlex is 7kg square).
The Super Racing Dampers (SRD) are high end street dampers. We package them together with everything you need, including springs, to create the Super Racing Coilover (SRC).

You are indeed correct, the off-the-shelf SRC can handle 7-13k in the front, and 9-15k in the rear. The recommended range is 8-12k front, and 10-14k rear, for a longer service interval.

Tein recommends you inspect the damper for damage every 30k miles.

We are still in the process of developing a custom valved (CSG-Spec) SRC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-09-2014), Wonderbar (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #93
fooddude
Banned

@CSG Mike: Ah ic, thanks....so basically, +/- 2kgmm recommendation (or, what the damper can ideally handle) from what it comes with (I just read your old ad, that it came with FR 10kg 12kg stock).

Edit: I think I've made my decision (and in the future when I have saved up enough), that I will ask Fortune Auto or Feal to make me a coilover (FA500 or Feal 441), closest in spec, to the Tein SRC/SRD (single adj though, and not dual adj) - with FR 10kg 12kg rates, the most digressive they make/offer, with damping that can handle those rates and with damping closest to the function and shock dynos of the SRCs. Basically..an inexpensive knockoff Tein SRC coilover with the same spring-rates/damping specs and handling (or, at least as close to as they can get).

@Carlysh: I agree...but not everyone (and not all racing hobbyists) is super rich and can afford 3.5k-6k+ coilovers. Even $1.5-2k coilovers takes a while to save up for for many. Also, just because something costs 2-3x more and is more well-known, doesn't necessarily mean it will "last" a long time and have the same reliability as OEM. A lot of true "Race" parts are actually not that reliable as OEM, nor built to OEM longevity/reliability, as they are commonly/usually changed out, replaced, blown, broken, tested, etc. during race seasons. And, I have read and seen many pictures of more expensive "well known" coilovers breaking or being damaged too - ie: HKS, Tein, KW, etc., etc., etc.

I wouldn't feel as bad if my $1500 coilover got damaged or broke, vs a coilover I spent $4k+ on. I would certainly feel like cr@p, after I spent $4-5k on a coilover, after only a year of usage, to see that, let's say, my HKS damper rod bent, or my Tein lower strut mount cracked and broke off or the clicker broke off, or my KW CS mounts or shock bodies warped, etc., etc. (all of those thing have happening to those "more expensive" and "well known to be quality" coilovers, btw). My point is - just because it's super expensive and costs 3-4x more than Feal or FA, is a well known reputable Japanese company..doesn't always mean it'll last forever and doesn't mean it'll be super ultra reliable. How would you feel, after you spent $4k on a coilover system, if it broke after a year of usage?

Last edited by fooddude; 03-09-2014 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fooddude For This Useful Post:
Carlysh (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #94
raytrix

Drives: Series 10 FR-S
Stance Super Sport with Swift spring upgrade.
raytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #95
Carlysh

Garage
Quote:
@CSG Mike: Ah ic, thanks....so basically, +/- 2kgmm recommendation (or, what the damper can ideally handle) from what it comes with (I just read your old ad, that it came with FR 10kg 12kg stock).

Edit: I think I've made my decision (and in the future when I have saved up enough), that I will ask Fortune Auto or Feal to make me a coilover (FA500 or Feal 441), closest in spec, to the Tein SRC/SRD (single adj though, and not dual adj) - with FR 10kg 12kg rates, the most digressive they make/offer, with damping that can handle those rates and with damping closest to the function and shock dynos of the SRCs. Basically..an inexpensive knockoff Tein SRC coilover with the same spring-rates/damping specs and handling (or, at least as close to as they can get).

@Carlysh: I agree...but not everyone (and not all racing hobbyists) is super rich and can afford 3.5k-6k+ coilovers. Even $1.5-2k coilovers takes a while to save up for for many. Also, just because something costs 2-3x more and is more well-known, doesn't necessarily mean it will "last" a long time and have the same reliability as OEM. A lot of true "Race" parts are actually not that reliable as OEM, nor built to OEM longevity/reliability, as they are commonly/usually changed out, replaced, blown, broken, tested, etc. during race seasons. And, I have read and seen many pictures of more expensive "well known" coilovers breaking or being damaged too - ie: HKS, Tein, KW, etc., etc., etc.

I wouldn't feel as bad if my $1500 coilover got damaged or broke, vs a coilover I spent $4k+ on. I would certainly feel like cr@p, after I spent $4-5k on a coilover, after only a year of usage, to see that, let's say, my HKS damper rod bent, or my Tein lower strut mount cracked and broke off or the clicker broke off, or my KW CS mounts or shock bodies warped, etc., etc. (all of those thing have happening to those "more expensive" and "well known to be quality" coilovers, btw). My point is - just because it's super expensive and costs 3-4x more than Feal or FA, is a well known reputable Japanese company..doesn't always mean it'll last forever and doesn't mean it'll be super ultra reliable. How would you feel, after you spent $4k on a coilover system, if it broke after a year of usage?

It's very very true what you said I don't want to pay 4k on coil overs it's way to much I prefer buying the fortune 500 with swift spring and I think will be a good setup
I am with you between 1,500 budget and I think they are good setups out here in that price range
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlysh For This Useful Post:
fooddude (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #96
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you break something, FEAL rebuilds most coilovers

http://www.rallyracingsuspension.com/page12.php
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #97
CSG Mike

Quote:

If they can truly make a damper that can accurately emulate a SRC, I'll be the first to switch.

Rebuilds for high end dampers typically start in the $1000 range. I'm seriously skeptical that a $1500 damper can emulate a $4000 damper; I've seen many, many attempts at it, and have yet to see it actually happen.

Breaking in a year? That's what warranty is for.

Race parts are not made for reliability. The SRC is a Street damper, not a Race damper. The N1 is the race version of the SRD.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #98
fooddude
Banned

Although Feal, Fortune Auto (and several other coilover brands, including even the more "well known" and expensive companies I bet) uses Chinese/Taiwan made parts (exterior parts, bodies, mounts, plates, perhaps)...

..the fact that Fortune Auto (or, at least, as they have stated before) use 95% of Internal damper parts(which is what matters most in performance anyways) from Japan and Germany (including Ohlins parts) is very attracting... Additionally, they also respond to the following link with so much detail.. honest and useful information, data, dynos and knowledge; and, that is really setting them apart from many many other companies. For these reasons, I think I would have to choose a set of FA 500/510 over other similarly priced coilovers, including the very comparative Feal 441 (though, I would bet Feals are similarly just as good from what I've read ...it's just, the aforementioned things just give FA the edge and really make you want to love them and trust their coilover builds, designs and quality... on the other hand, I don't really see much of the same similar info being given out by Feal, nor many user reviews from pros or more suspension knowledgeable heads).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=46

from here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34685

Last edited by fooddude; 03-09-2014 at 10:39 PM.