follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #533
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
thanks. didnt really read the beginning.
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #534
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar View Post
My ECU was 1 number shorter on the part number, SU003-04521. I hope it has the appropriate corrections.
So I'm the one that had my cel issue at 5700 miles which was 5000 miles ago. Hard parts replacement didn't fix the issue so they gave new the new ecu ending in 811 instead of 810.

Adding the pic of my old ecu and the paperwork from the dealer I found. Interesting that they didn't have a part number but the tech put them in the notes. I don't see these part numbers matching with anyone else unless that's not the part number.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Last edited by Yruyur; 09-18-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Yruyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #535
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Remember, until yesterday's leaked document this problem didn't officially exist. As far as Toyota/Scion of North America is concerned there's no VVT problem which spans across 100's cars, we're individuals which they're dealing with on a "case by case" basis....

I'm beginning to doubt my own earlier argument that Toyota was doing a reasonable job in responding to this problem. There are so many reports of so many different responses at the dealer level to the problem. I have to ask: Doesn't anybody know what they're doing?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #536
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
something tells me there are 2 different 811 ECU's. my vin is above 6xxx according to the DRL TSB and I have the 811 ECU, so this replacement must be an updated version?

im gunna test this ECU and note any slight changes i can find. once its here of course.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #537
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Black Box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I'm beginning to doubt my own earlier argument that Toyota was doing a reasonable job in responding to this problem. There are so many reports of so many different responses at the dealer level to the problem. I have to ask: Doesn't anybody know what they're doing?
I believe there's a group talented engineers at "Toyobru" responsible for engine development who screwed up, are deeply sorry for the problem, and are doing everything they can to make it right. Culturally the Japanese aren't very forgiving of themselves when they make serious mistakes.

This is a classic "Black Box" type of problem...

... we're trying to understand what's wrong with our cars based on what Toyota and Subaru are doing to fix them. To make matters worse there's a pretty good indication (to me anyway) there's may be more then one problem they're trying to solve (other wise just the new parts or just the new ECU would resolve the issue for all of us, and that's clearly not the case).

Toyota/Subaru dealers are effectievely in the same boat we're in trying to understand what's happening. At least I think my dealer is, everyone I have spoken gives me the same consistantly believable blank stare when we talk about the issue.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 09-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-19-2012), Marrk (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #538
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
The Supply Chain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I'm beginning to doubt my own earlier argument that Toyota was doing a reasonable job in responding to this problem.
Speaking to a previous post of yours, I think part of this is a supply chain problem. I have an hunch that you understand what I mean when I say this but I'm going to explain for those reading who may not...

I'm personally assuming two things

Number 1. It's pretty likely they understand the root cause and have the fix in place, moving going forward for every new engine currently being produced. A huge problem for them are all of the engines produced before they fixed the issue;

> There's a lead time needed to make enough engines to get a production run started. They may have made 10,000's of these engines with the defect

> They produce cars with these engines

> The first few runs of completed cars gets shipped to North America

> Customers buy them and they break <----- This is the critical point...

...because now they have to work backwards: rework the cars already in customer hands, the cars sitting in dealer lots, the cars in the shipment process, the cars being produced on the assembly line, and the engines sitting in the crates waiting for the production line.

Number 2. The possibility exists (and remember, this depends entirely on what the engineering defect is and how it's resolved) that those of us who bought early will be stuck with the legacy of these defects for as long as we own these cars. The engines in the 2013 cars will work differently than they do in the 2014 cars.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #539
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've now been in contact with Toyota Japan, Toyota Europe and also Toyota Sweden. They are aware of the issue and working on it as much as they can. Still waiting for cam parts here according to Toyota Sweden
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (09-19-2012), ftc~brz (09-19-2012), Marrk (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #540
Free Jazz

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
As a new owner as of last Saturday, I'm gravely concerned. I love this car, but I'm now seriously wondering if it's worth sticking it out, considering the probabilities...
Free Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #541
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknian_Culprate13 View Post
Ok guys even if they rip apart the engine and replace parts that are still ok with new ones what's the big deal your getting new parts anyways and work is professionally done only thing losing is time right?
I guess it isn't the biggest deal and that's why I am not kirking out completely. I expected minor first year glitches. But to have 70 miles on a car and have it wanna choke to death on it's own idle, that's a bit more uproar worthy than a cricket chirp and a window button that sticks.
I'm pretty sure they tested the engine before production. Granted anything can go wrong down the assembly line but those kinds of kinks should have been taken care of prerelease don't you think?
I get the explanation of random misfire from service <-to vague for me. random leads me to thing it's a misread by a sensor somewhere along the exhaust route and not a hard part. But if I pulled my engine apart myself it would void the warranties. Also none of us are in charge of the chain of repair for either toyota or subaru.
I'm sure we would have all preferred a push back on the release date iso copious amounts of quality time with a sub par loaner.
I would take the anticipation of waiting a few more months to get the car over waiting to see my cel come back 3 more times, or have it spend 30 days total for it to be deemed a lemon and replaced with one that is not finicky.
Either way the only thing we all can do is wait and see what comes of it all. I'm only butt hurt because I got to drive it. If I didn't have that taste of greatness, I would just wait patiently and pester my sales lady for delivery a date.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (09-19-2012), Marrk (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #542
Ericbdrummin

Drives: Scion FR-S
Got the FRS back today. So far so good, and all they did was reprogram the ECU.
Taking it out to put some miles on it right now, I'll keep you all posted if it takes a crap again. My service writer told me that as of yesterday, the official fix is to reprogram the ECU......BS ? We shall see.
Ericbdrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ericbdrummin For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (09-19-2012), ftc~brz (09-19-2012), Marrk (09-19-2012), rapidcars (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #543
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eri***rummin View Post
Got the FRS back today. So far so good, and all they did was reprogram the ECU.
Taking it out to put some miles on it right now, I'll keep you all posted if it takes a crap again. My service writer told me that as of yesterday, the official fix is to reprogram the ECU......BS ? We shall see.
I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you:happy0180:
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #544
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Minor update: Was supposed to have it back this afternoon but they're still "putting it back together" so it will most likely be tomorrow morning now. I confirmed that all they replaced was the cam sensor.
rapidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #545
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcars View Post
Minor update: Was supposed to have it back this afternoon but they're still "putting it back together" so it will most likely be tomorrow morning now. I confirmed that all they replaced was the cam sensor.
Keep us posted if that actually fixed it, considering all the ECU "fixes". And also what errorcode it showed before
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #546
mlrsguy1982

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (World Rally Blue)
Wow, just found this forum and noticed alot of people having the same problem as me. Subaru said I was the first BRZ they heard of with the CEL and Traction light problem. Anyways, I had the following info to add to the list,

2013 Subaru BRZ, 1300 miles, 3 Weeks in dealer, replaced the usual mechanical parts, the the ECU. Fixed now for 2 days lol and no issues yet..
mlrsguy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mlrsguy1982 For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-19-2012), Marrk (09-19-2012), rapidcars (09-19-2012), soconfoozed (10-27-2012)