follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
KiK
Member
 
KiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 19 GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 32
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me decide: KW V3 vs KW V3 Clubsport

Hello, here I am with another indecision since the last post I created about suspensions.
Since I want to order the coilovers next month the deadline to make a decision is approaching, last post I was settled on the V3cs but I obtained new information that may shift the decision.


So, the new information I have:

KW V3: Front 4K-200mm spring / Rear: 5K-200mm spring

KW V3 Clubsport: Front: 6K-170mm spring /Rear: 7K -170mm spring


Both coilovers also feature a helper spring and valving to match.
Both can be revalved and rebuilt according to KW Europe
The clubsport top mounts can be bought and installed into the standard V3.


This means that the total cost of the setup (incl. shipping) will be:
V3 + CS Mounts = 2776 €
V3CS = 3492€

A total difference of 716€


Now, facts about the planned build route:
- Coilovers will be professionally installed with corner balancing and alignment.
- The car will be, eventually, on 18" with 235 Eagle F1.
- Although I still haven't made my mind yet, I am considering also installing them alongside with SPL RLCA.



My use case:
-Car is daily driver (Location Europe: lot of cobblestone roads in sh*t condition)
-Car sees the track infrequently (1-4 times a year)

-Car sees a lot (weekly, sometimes multiple times a week) spirited canyon runs and backroad fun.

My goals are (sorted by priority)
1- Improve handling and overall car behavior both on track and on my canyon runs (I understand that this is heavily tune dependent).
2- Retain or improve ride quality and comfort (I don't want to drive an S class, but I also don't want to feel like the car is about to fall apart every time I ride on cobblestone road)
3- Achieve a 0.78" - 1" drop for looks (20mm to 25mm)



Based on these, I am asking the internet to decide how I will spend my money .

Last edited by KiK; 10-31-2023 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Wrong conversion from mm to inches
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:34 PM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 2,776
Thanks: 5,561
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Hello, here I am with another indecision since the last post I created about suspensions.
Since I want to order the coilovers next month the deadline to make a decision is approaching, last post I was settled on the V3cs but I obtained new information that may shift the decision.


So, the new information I have:

KW V3: Front 4K-200mm spring / Rear: 5K-200mm spring

KW V3 Clubsport: Front: 6K-170mm spring /Rear: 7K -170mm spring


Both coilovers also feature a helper spring and valving to match.
Both can be revalved and rebuilt according to KW Europe
The clubsport top mounts can be bought and installed into the standard V3.


This means that the total cost of the setup (incl. shipping) will be:
V3 + CS Mounts = 2776
V3CS = 3492

A total difference of 716


Now, facts about the planned build route:
- Coilovers will be professionally installed with corner balancing and alignment.
- The car will be, eventually, on 18" with 235 Eagle F1.
- Although I still haven't made my mind yet, I am considering also installing them alongside with SPL RLCA.



My use case:
-Car is daily driver (Location Europe: lot of cobblestone roads in sh*t condition)
-Car sees the track infrequently (1-4 times a year)

-Car sees a lot (weekly, sometimes multiple times a week) spirited canyon runs and backroad fun.

My goals are (sorted by priority)
1- Improve handling and overall car behavior both on track and on my canyon runs (I understand that this is heavily tune dependent).
2- Retain or improve ride quality and comfort (I don't want to drive an S class, but I also don't want to feel like the car is about to fall apart every time I ride on cobblestone road)
3- Achieve a 1-1.15" drop for looks



Based on these, I am asking the internet to decide how I will spend my money .
Neither. RCE Yellows and B6s.
Unless drop is actually #1 on that list then the non clubsports.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:15 PM   #3
Ruben_86_
Member
 
Ruben_86_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: spain
Posts: 55
Thanks: 31
Thanked 53 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If it helps you, I have KW Clubsport with 7kg / 8kg custom springs, for the city I wish it was a little softer, but it is not a very hard suspension, and on the track it works very well.

Nor do I think you are wrong with a normal V3.
Ruben_86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:45 PM   #4
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,525
Thanks: 8,911
Thanked 14,169 Times in 6,830 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Your drop means you'll want the CS spring rates to not bottom out.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:02 PM   #5
Pat
Senior Member
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2023 BRZ
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,807
Thanks: 1,482
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Achieving those three goals simultaneously is awfully difficult. Keep your expectations low in that regard.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
__________________
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:34 AM   #6
KiK
Member
 
KiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 19 GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 32
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Neither. RCE Yellows and B6s.
Unless drop is actually #1 on that list then the non clubsports.
Hello, I am locked on the KW because they feature the required certification for the car to be road legal here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben_86_ View Post
If it helps you, I have KW Clubsport with 7kg / 8kg custom springs, for the city I wish it was a little softer, but it is not a very hard suspension, and on the track it works very well.

Nor do I think you are wrong with a normal V3.
I see that you are based in Spain,we are neighbors by a few hundred KMs.
How does the suspension handle in cobblestone roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your drop means you'll want the CS spring rates to not bottom out.
I am an idiot and somehow managed to screw the conversion from mm to inches. What I actually want is to lower it 20mm to 25mm or 0.787 inches to 0.984 inches. Does that change anything in your answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Achieving those three goals simultaneously is awfully difficult. Keep your expectations low in that regard.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Don't break my heart like that
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiK For This Useful Post:
J95 (11-24-2023), x808drifter (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,403
Thanks: 3,414
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
KW V3 with 5k/6k rates and OEM top mounts would be my recommendation. Or just the front camber plates if you want more than -2.2 degrees camber in front.

I'm on a similar set up right now with KW based coilovers and it's very good. I live in Baltimore city and the next street over from me is cobblestone. The roads are really bad here too. This set up is the right balance for me and how I use my car right now. About 20mm lower and comfort is important to me.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 10-31-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
KiK (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
Ruben_86_
Member
 
Ruben_86_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: spain
Posts: 55
Thanks: 31
Thanked 53 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Hello, I am locked on the KW because they feature the required certification for the car to be road legal here.



I see that you are based in Spain,we are neighbors by a few hundred KMs.
How does the suspension handle in cobblestone roads?


I am an idiot and somehow managed to screw the conversion from mm to inches. What I actually want is to lower it 20mm to 25mm or 0.787 inches to 0.984 inches. Does that change anything in your answer?


Don't break my heart like that
In Paris I had to stop and adjust the suspension because it was terrible😅
Ruben_86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruben_86_ For This Useful Post:
J95 (11-24-2023), KiK (11-01-2023), MrSkubi (11-02-2023), Shark_Bait88 (11-07-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:45 AM   #9
Pat
Senior Member
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2023 BRZ
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,807
Thanks: 1,482
Thanked 1,249 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
__________________
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,525
Thanks: 8,911
Thanked 14,169 Times in 6,830 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
I am an idiot and somehow managed to screw the conversion from mm to inches. What I actually want is to lower it 20mm to 25mm or 0.787 inches to 0.984 inches. Does that change anything in your answer?
V3 with slightly higher spring rates.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
KiK (11-01-2023), Racecomp Engineering (10-31-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:06 PM   #11
KiK
Member
 
KiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: 19 GT86
Location: Europe
Posts: 32
Thanks: 14
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
KW V3 with 5k/6k rates and OEM top mounts would be my recommendation. Or just the front camber plates if you want more than -2.2 degrees camber in front.

I'm on a similar set up right now with KW based coilovers and it's very good. I live in Baltimore city and the next street over from me is cobblestone. The roads are really bad here too. This set up is the right balance for me and how I use my car right now. About 20mm lower and comfort is important to me.

- Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
V3 with slightly higher spring rates.
Thanks for the answers guys! What exactly is the point of retaining OEM top mounts? Reliability? Noise? Wont it make the adjustment window more narrow?

Regarding the spring rate, so the plan is to order the KW V3 and swap the springs from the rear coil to the front and buy this for the rears:



I believe this setup conforms to the setup you guys suggested.
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiK For This Useful Post:
J95 (12-20-2023), MrSkubi (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #12
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 5,403
Thanks: 3,414
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Thanks for the answers guys! What exactly is the point of retaining OEM top mounts? Reliability? Noise? Wont it make the adjustment window more narrow?

Regarding the spring rate, so the plan is to order the KW V3 and swap the springs from the rear coil to the front and buy this for the rears:



I believe this setup conforms to the setup you guys suggested.
OEM top mounts just improve comfort and will be quiet. The KW camber plates are pretty good in that regard, but nothing will be as good as OEM.

You could also use the Pedders top mounts that are like OEM but add camber and caster.

Yes 60-200 will work great.
Edit: 60-170 is better.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 12-21-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-02-2023), J95 (12-20-2023), KiK (11-03-2023), Ruben_86_ (11-10-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 02:39 AM   #13
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 14,525
Thanks: 8,911
Thanked 14,169 Times in 6,830 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Based on your stated use case, it is for comfort.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
J95 (12-20-2023), KiK (11-03-2023), Racecomp Engineering (11-02-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:57 PM   #14
J95
Member
 
J95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: BRZ
Location: ES
Posts: 97
Thanks: 183
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Thanks for the answers guys! What exactly is the point of retaining OEM top mounts? Reliability? Noise? Wont it make the adjustment window more narrow?

Regarding the spring rate, so the plan is to order the KW V3 and swap the springs from the rear coil to the front and buy this for the rears:


I believe this setup conforms to the setup you guys suggested.
Hey man, did you end up mounting that setup? Can you share your impressions? I think about doing the same, or even going 5/7 or 6/7, with the KW v3.

@Racecomp Engineering if you don't mind my question what length of springs should I choose? You recommend 60-200, but I saw that KW CS have originally 170 instead of 200.
The oem top mounts vs KW CS top mounts would make any difference in the length decision?

PS - I would love to go for RCE suspensions, but Im in EU and we have huge overprice due to importing and taxes
J95 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KW Clubsport 3-way Valving TRAKRAVN Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 7 12-20-2019 10:45 PM
Using KW Clubsport top mounts for KW V3 thpark93 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 2 03-20-2019 11:39 AM
Tein SRC vs. KW clubsport 86wtywly Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 17 04-02-2017 04:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.