follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2022, 12:25 PM   #57
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
In my OG when I took people for their first time in the car I'd often get a comment about the road noise, just in the same way they would comment about how low they were.

Honestly you just get so used to your own car that you stop noticing this stuff.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #58
Burrz

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't find it that bad on my blizzak winter tires, I've driven much worse (My old SUV was super noisy). And anyways I usually have SeriusXM playing quite loud
Burrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #59
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So, not to resurrect this thread, but I have to share in my setup, its way worse in this model than last gens for my own car.

I owned a 2013 BRZ limited, 2017 BRZ w/ PP, and now the 2022 BRZ limited. Idk if my memory is foggy or the fact that turning "dirty thirty" in February made me more aware of nuances, but I swear this one is way louder. Specifically wheel noise coming from the rear quarter. Like, I enjoy the sounds and the feel of a "racecar", but it's so bad that cruising at 75-80 literally has the wheel equivalent of gnarly exhaust drone.

It's to the point that I am temped to gut the interior and install dynamat, or stinger roadkill, or some form of sound deadening in the cabin.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I just that lucky and got the lemon in the road noise category?
Old 02-27-2022, 01:38 PM   #60
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,898 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedex View Post
So, not to resurrect this thread, but I have to share in my setup, its way worse in this model than last gens for my own car.

I owned a 2013 BRZ limited, 2017 BRZ w/ PP, and now the 2022 BRZ limited. Idk if my memory is foggy or the fact that turning "dirty thirty" in February made me more aware of nuances, but I swear this one is way louder. Specifically wheel noise coming from the rear quarter. Like, I enjoy the sounds and the feel of a "racecar", but it's so bad that cruising at 75-80 literally has the wheel equivalent of gnarly exhaust drone.

It's to the point that I am temped to gut the interior and install dynamat, or stinger roadkill, or some form of sound deadening in the cabin.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I just that lucky and got the lemon in the road noise category?

It’s the tires. Did you ever put PS4 equivalent tires on your other cars? The primacies are very quiet compared to a performance tire.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #61
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
It’s the tires. Did you ever put PS4 equivalent tires on your other cars? The primacies are very quiet compared to a performance tire.

Funny enough, I had Pilot sport 4s in 255/35r18 on the 17, and I dont remember it being that loud.
Yoshoobaroo (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #62
PLF69

Drives: 2020 M340i, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedex View Post
Funny enough, I had Pilot sport 4s in 255/35r18 on the 17, and I dont remember it being that loud.
PS4 and PS4S are very different tires and the former is much louder than the later
PLF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PLF69 For This Useful Post:
Daedex (03-06-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #63
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think this really show how much variance you get between tires and pavement types.

I recently road-tripped 2000 miles across 8 states with my oldest daughter. We experienced just about every type of pavement condition possible. Her 2nd Gen Mazda3 has little sound deadening in it and on her Conti DWS 06+'s we experienced everything from total silence to shouting to communicate across the car.

There are so many variables in those conditions, let alone a person's hearing sensitivities, the best any of us can do is sympathize.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
azndavepgh (02-28-2022), Daedex (02-28-2022), Tcoat (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #64
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I think this really show how much variance you get between tires and pavement types.

I recently road-tripped 2000 miles across 8 states with my oldest daughter. We experienced just about every type of pavement condition possible. Her 2nd Gen Mazda3 has little sound deadening in it and on her Conti DWS 06+'s we experienced everything from total silence to shouting to communicate across the car.

There are so many variables in those conditions, let alone a person's hearing sensitivities, the best any of us can do is sympathize.
The difference in pavement can not be understated!
This is a big part of why people with the same tires can have such varied levels of complaints. On my daily commute I drive over three very different surfaces and the changes are huge between them. It is like having a different car on each one of them. Anybody that drives primarily on a good or bad surface may just be missing out what others are experiencing.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #65
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Asphalt GOOD, Concrete BAD, Grooved Concrete VERY BAD...
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
H380 (02-28-2022), Tcoat (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #66
ATreiDes

Drives: 2022 BRZ - Limited - Sapphire Blue
Humming/Drone from under front of cabin

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the site because this is my first BRZ.

2022 MT Limited in Sapphire Blue - Just received it back on December 21 after waiting nearly 4 months. I did exhaustive research for nearly 6 months before finally deciding on this car for it's drivability, handling, affordability, and fun... as well as the Subaru name.

So far, I love everything about the car, minus one thing that makes it nearly unbearable for me. I am at my wits end and I am hoping that someone... anyone, can confirm what is going on for me because if I can't figure this out, I am going to have to sell the car. My best guess is that it is the PS4S tires, but that doesn't explain hearing the sound as I drive up a gravel driveway...

FYI, I have owned cars before that had quite a bit of road noise with the tires (2006 civic si, 2001 mustang bullitt, 1997 chevy k1500 jacked up on mud tires), but this car blows all those out the window with the most annoying, incessant drone/hum coming up through where the pedals are in the front of the cabin. I see a lot of people complain about the rear tire noise, but that doesn't bother me in the least bit because it sounds like typical road noise.

Does anyone else hear a noise similar to a hum/drone coming from the front end as the car warms up on the Pilot Sport 4s and approaches 50-60 MPH, vibrates slightly, changes pitch with differing road conditions, but then also happens slightly when driving on a gravel driveway at no more than 10 mph after driving it for a bit?

I am going to try swapping the back tires with the front to see if it is a tire balance issue. If that doesn't fix it, I will swap tires to some ExtremeContact DWS 06s, and if that doesn't fix it, I am lost... Maybe it could be an engine mount issue, struts / shocks making the noise, something else I am not aware of as a new Subaru owner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ATreiDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:52 PM   #67
AK2112

Drives: 22 BRZ
Coming from a bone stock 2016 Focus ST (which is a surprisingly QUIET and refined car)...

The BRZ is a little louder but even on trash interstate roads, its barely worse. I'm shocked by how decent it is on the highway. Conversation in cabin is easy and whats really shocking- it rides better than the ST.

Compared to my wifes 2017 Mazda 3 Grand Touring (on Continental DWS 06+), the BRZ (on the Primacys) is about the same when it comes to noise. Not great but not terrible. Totally livable. Not an issue at all.
AK2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #68
RyzenShine

Drives: '17 Civic Hatch
[QUOTE=*Off highway, don't notice noise. When I go driving for fun, I mostly avoid highways anyway; I like backroads.[/QUOTE]

Useful. Thanks
RyzenShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #69
RyzenShine

Drives: '17 Civic Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Axel View Post
As much as I hate to say it, I thought the roadnoise complaints were spoiled whiners just use to higher end cars. I had not taken it out on the highway 'till last week. Wow! It's loud.

I had already planned on sound dampening/deadening in the spring when I run speaker and amp wiring. But yup, it's loud, road noise, that is.

I can live with it if I get too lazy to do the work. It wouldn't have kept me from buying or keeping the car. I don't listen to much music anymore anyway. And the road noise makes things seem exhilarating, adds adrenaline.

Off highway, don't notice noise. When I go driving for fun, I mostly avoid highways anyway; I like backroads.
This is helpful, thanks. I’m really torn between the trims as I like the appearance of the interior/seats of the base and then buying my own set of tires/wheels.
RyzenShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:40 PM   #70
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATreiDes View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post to the site because this is my first BRZ.

2022 MT Limited in Sapphire Blue - Just received it back on December 21 after waiting nearly 4 months. I did exhaustive research for nearly 6 months before finally deciding on this car for it's drivability, handling, affordability, and fun... as well as the Subaru name.

So far, I love everything about the car, minus one thing that makes it nearly unbearable for me. I am at my wits end and I am hoping that someone... anyone, can confirm what is going on for me because if I can't figure this out, I am going to have to sell the car. My best guess is that it is the PS4S tires, but that doesn't explain hearing the sound as I drive up a gravel driveway...

FYI, I have owned cars before that had quite a bit of road noise with the tires (2006 civic si, 2001 mustang bullitt, 1997 chevy k1500 jacked up on mud tires), but this car blows all those out the window with the most annoying, incessant drone/hum coming up through where the pedals are in the front of the cabin. I see a lot of people complain about the rear tire noise, but that doesn't bother me in the least bit because it sounds like typical road noise.

Does anyone else hear a noise similar to a hum/drone coming from the front end as the car warms up on the Pilot Sport 4s and approaches 50-60 MPH, vibrates slightly, changes pitch with differing road conditions, but then also happens slightly when driving on a gravel driveway at no more than 10 mph after driving it for a bit?

I am going to try swapping the back tires with the front to see if it is a tire balance issue. If that doesn't fix it, I will swap tires to some ExtremeContact DWS 06s, and if that doesn't fix it, I am lost... Maybe it could be an engine mount issue, struts / shocks making the noise, something else I am not aware of as a new Subaru owner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are you able to post a video of it - We might be able to tell you if its just roadnoise or something else like unbalanced wheels.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote