follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #57
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why is there a bowling alley in the back?
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #58
Itgb

Drives: 2003 BMW M3, 2006 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer305 View Post
Love it! keep it RWD!
I would rather they make this than the convertible. 6-speed RWD hatch would be awesome.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #59
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Wow, they managed to take something that could easily have been excellent looking and make it look like an ugly crossover wannabe.

There was a one on Jalop a while back that looked a bit more FF-like. That would be much better.

God, that weird plastic trim crap they put all over the wheel arches and sides is fugly.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #60
a2cpc

Drives: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The chassis its riding on won't allow it. You do know what chassis it rides on, right?

Why yes, yes I do. But with the new "engine back design( or whatever they call it) used in the new WRX...

A stretch here , a tuck there and voila! The concept already seems to be a bit thicker in the engine compartment anyway.
a2cpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #61
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2cpc View Post
Why yes, yes I do. But with the new "engine back design( or whatever they call it) used in the new WRX...
3 door WRX with less utility is a waste. 3 door BRZ with AWD is not entertaining as it just gained 100-200lbs right there, handling be damned.

Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 11-21-2013 at 12:34 PM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Concepts generally look exciting and have a variety of purposes, hence, all the postings. Production? Questionable.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #63
JRP

Drives: 2013 Perl White FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I have no idea what demographics a car like this would be targeted towards. I have a family of 4 including 2 girls; a larger than average 14 year and a smaller than average 10 year old. Whenever the 4 of us take my FR-S somewhere, I move my seat just forward enough to give our 10 yo enough room to sit behind me which makes me uncomfortable; I’m 5’8” of average build. Our 14 yo gets the passenger seat and had to move it forward putting her in an uncomfortable position to give my wife enough room to sit behind her. An extra 2” of room in the back is not going to help. Having only 2 doors is not going to make it easy to get children out of a car seat from the back either.

I really don’t see a need/market for a small RWD station wagon, sorry shooting brake, version of our car. I just hope Subaru doesn't try to do to the BRZ that BMW is doing with the MINI Cooper; a version for almost every demographic.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #64
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I just want this with rear doors. If it gets that then... trade in meow.
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #65
BadCompany235
#TrackAddicts

Drives: The Dipped Car
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
The demographic would be the people cross shopping Audi and volvo turbo hatches... not to mention mazda and ford hatches... and then there are those who see the FF ambition Subaru has undertaken here. i mean obviously not a v12, but a 268 hp 4 in a 3 door that can seat 4 realistically?

if anything this would be more 86 than the brz is. all depends on the engineering. i say go for it. i'd buy it. by the time this comes out (if) the amount of miles and abuse on the FRS will leave it as a toy only. why not commute in a fun 3 door?

Chadbee Photography / Passion Moves Photography
BadCompany235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #66
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
I have no idea what demographics a car like this would be targeted towards. I have a family of 4 including 2 girls; a larger than average 14 year and a smaller than average 10 year old. Whenever the 4 of us take my FR-S somewhere, I move my seat just forward enough to give our 10 yo enough room to sit behind me which makes me uncomfortable; I’m 5’8” of average build. Our 14 yo gets the passenger seat and had to move it forward putting her in an uncomfortable position to give my wife enough room to sit behind her. An extra 2” of room in the back is not going to help. Having only 2 doors is not going to make it easy to get children out of a car seat from the back either.

I really don’t see a need/market for a small RWD station wagon, sorry shooting brake, version of our car. I just hope Subaru doesn't try to do to the BRZ that BMW is doing with the MINI Cooper; a version for almost every demographic.
That demographic would be me. I want to daily drive my nice sporty RWD car. I don't have kids, nor do i plan to, but a little more practicality for my wife and the dog would be great to have. As it is, I don't like taking the dog in my FR-S because he is basically in the front seat no matter where he is in the car plus I don't like cramming him in through the front doors because he is like a bull in a China shop and could care less about the paint around my doors. Plus, I love hatches. They look great.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
P@ul (11-28-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #67
a2cpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post

I have to think you need to take a different car out if you are all uncomfortable. The rear seat in a BRZ is there for the insurance and maybe for an emergency it was never designed for 4 adults.

Personally, I wouldn't put anyone in the rear seat of either the BRZ or this concept except in an emergency. The market might be just because that there isn't a small RWD 3 door hatch offered in the US. let alone an AWD one if they could do that.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #68
a2cpc

Quote:
3 door WRX with less utility is a waste.

How, except for the ingress and egress or the rear seat passengers or maybe throwing your briefcase in the backseat. is it any less utilitarian?

Quote:
3 door BRZ with AWD is not entertaining as it just gained 100-200lbs right there, handling be damned.

It might not be as entertaining as a BRZ, and the handling is supposed to be better with this new Front axle layout in the new WRX. Would it feel like a BRZ...nah. Could it feel better than the current WRX and have faster lap times than both...possibly. I would be willing to chance it.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #69
JRP

Drives: 2013 Perl White FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to think you need to take a different car out if you are all uncomfortable. The rear seat in a BRZ is there for the insurance and maybe for an emergency it was never designed for 4 adults.

Personally, I wouldn't put anyone in the rear seat of either the BRZ or this concept except in an emergency. The market might be just because that there isn't a small RWD 3 door hatch offered in the US. let alone an AWD one if they could do that.
I forgot to mention that the FR-S is my daily driver and we have a '12 RAV4 as our "family car". Sometimes we like to take the FR-S to car meetings hence the reason we all piled into my car.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #70
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
How, except for the ingress and egress or the rear seat passengers or maybe throwing your briefcase in the backseat. is it any less utilitarian?

It might not be as entertaining as a BRZ, and the handling is supposed to be better with this new Front axle layout in the new WRX. Would it feel like a BRZ...nah. Could it feel better than the current WRX and have faster lap times than both...possibly. I would be willing to chance it.
Because this isn't a 3 door WRX, it's a BRZ with 2" more rear leg room and a hatch. THIS is NOT utility like a 3 door WRX in WRX size (King size candy bar vs. Fun size, nahmean?). You want a 3 door WRX with AWD, build it off that chassis...don't bastardize my lightweight RWD platform.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
DylanFRS (11-21-2013)