follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #477
69gtojeff

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I talked to the technician who is working on my car a week ago and he said the driver's side intake OCV had a cracked connector and the cams wouldn't move with techstream, so I said replace the OCV and let's see how the cams move. However, don't be surprised if the code won't go away. We'll hit rock bottom on the waterfall flow chart and it will need an ECU. I had to call the dealer (they didn't call me) at the end of the week and they got the tech on the phone. He said the cams are moving just fine with techstream and the cam sprockets are acting normal. He said he had printouts of the learn values and everything looks good except the P0018 is still present. I said go ahead and replace the $675.14 ECU. No news today (we're starting week 3 in the shop now), so I called the service desk. Code is gone. Apparently the "abnormal noise" from the engine chased it away. I informed the service writer that the engine did not have any noise before the valve spring replacement. Good thing I never took position of it. The Toyota rep usually stops at this dealer on Fridays. There's a chance he may come in earlier.
69gtojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtojeff For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-06-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #478
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Someone is going to figure out how to reprogram these ECUs and then whamo garage sale! YOU get an ECU! You get an ECU!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kinghurl For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-07-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #479
69gtojeff

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Ultramarine
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got my car back yesterday with the new engine and new ecm after 7.5 weeks. The CEL is off. It surged a little at idle and I figured the idle air control system was still learning, so I drove away. In about 15 miles of driving the engine stalled about 10 times when pushing the clutch and getting off the gas for a stop sign or stoplight. I'll be doing a key drop so the car is waiting for them Monday morning for another round. A vehicle with an engine that dies at intersections is not safe.
69gtojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtojeff For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (09-22-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #480
ninjabutt

Drives: White BRZ 2014
Small update, I changed my cam gear (I thought I left one of the chain guide bolts loose so I opened it back up again to the tune of another 3hrs of gasket scraping lol) and ran a 1000 mile round trip to tougefest with about 4 hrs of full powerband use and after about 1500 miles on the new cam gear, the ILVs are still exactly the same. I was hoping they would slowly budge upward but I don't think they will and I'll probably have to swap the ecu to fully get rid of the problem. I'm further convinced (though still a theory) that the cam gear related camshaft correlation code is a single event failure and may not necessarily be indicative of a faulty cam gear.

Relatedly, we just got our Dyno fully operational so I'm going to throw the 86 on there before the ecu and tune to see if having a "permanent stored" p0016 code and no pending or thrown codes still limits VVT operation as has been stated a few other places.
ninjabutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #481
J Greg BRZ

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Garage
I have a 2016 BRZ with 17,202 miles on it and the CEL popped today for P0016. I've been reading threads all over the site about the issue, and I noticed it was really only happening in 2013 MY cars. So am I just that unlucky, or is it common in later year twins?

This was the first new car that I ever purchased and I'm just absolutely bummed right now.
J Greg BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #482
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Greg BRZ View Post
I have a 2016 BRZ with 17,202 miles on it and the CEL popped today for P0016. I've been reading threads all over the site about the issue, and I noticed it was really only happening in 2013 MY cars. So am I just that unlucky, or is it common in later year twins?

This was the first new car that I ever purchased and I'm just absolutely bummed right now.

Hey bro I have a 2013, and had the camshafts position sensor cell pop on my Brz , the car was under warranty so I just took it the dealer and they fixed it . The symptoms the car gave was that it would idle funny and also when came to a stop the idle would lag . Nothing to crazy to stress on , just take her in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:12 AM   #483
LukasD94

Drives: Subaru BRZ AT 2013
Hi guys. I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ Automatic Transmission. Bought with 70,000km. At 81,000km experienced P0016. Did all steps according to service bulletin. The last one was changing the cam sprockets. However, after that the P0016 still comes back.

Did anyone experience that the ECU relearns its values and the problem is solved after some time after the cam sprocket change or is it necessary to change the ECU.

I am based in Europe (Lithuania) so finding an ECU is a bit of the problem for me. The only way to do that is to ship it from U.S. i think. My ECU is SU003-00433 and I think i need SU003-04567.

Now my mechanic will search for an ECU and I will be using the car normally. Should I have any hopes that driving it will solve the problem eventually, as there is no mechanical problem now for sure, only a "toasted" ECU.

Thanks.
LukasD94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #484
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasD94 View Post
Hi guys. I have a 2013 Subaru BRZ Automatic Transmission. Bought with 70,000km. At 81,000km experienced P0016. Did all steps according to service bulletin. The last one was changing the cam sprockets. However, after that the P0016 still comes back.

Did anyone experience that the ECU relearns its values and the problem is solved after some time after the cam sprocket change or is it necessary to change the ECU.

I am based in Europe (Lithuania) so finding an ECU is a bit of the problem for me. The only way to do that is to ship it from U.S. i think. My ECU is SU003-00433 and I think i need SU003-04567.

Now my mechanic will search for an ECU and I will be using the car normally. Should I have any hopes that driving it will solve the problem eventually, as there is no mechanical problem now for sure, only a "toasted" ECU.

Thanks.
The tech bulletins indicate that it could take up to 5K miles to relearn fully. Most folks aren't willing to wait that long to have car back to full function. This suggests that it will eventually relearn. Dont know of anyone who's done it successfully. Hopefully someone here will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #485
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghurl View Post
The tech bulletins indicate that it could take up to 5K miles to relearn fully. Most folks aren't willing to wait that long to have car back to full function. This suggests that it will eventually relearn. Dont know of anyone who's done it successfully. Hopefully someone here will chime in.
I believe that statement is the estimated time for a new ecu to tune its valve timing servo to that specific engine. In order for an iteration of the tuning algorithm to update the values in that table, it must receive an 'ok' value from the system startup diagnostic.

The values in that table are part of that init calculation. One thing that can be inferred is that it may have taken up to 5000 miles before ECU eventually pegged itself trying to compensate for the root fault.

The trick is to catch the fault before the ECU drives a value in the init table so far that, should the fault suddenly be corrected, the startup diagnostic still returns an acceptable value for the "ok" flag. This is why I was thrilled when OBDLink added the VVT params to their software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I recommend this $70 device and using its proprietary application that I demonstrated here. A $5 in-app purchase gets you the extended monitors. I'm not aware of any other real-time monitor but hope to eventually see it cracked for OpenPort II.

Watching the valve timing slew will give you peace of mind as you cross your fingers and wait for the ECU to re-learn whatever offset it needs. Maybe the offset is represented by one of the mystery values I am logging here. That would be cool.
Quote:
If anyone has one of these OBDLink doohickeys, their software can now monitor vvt data real time.

I put together this dashboard with all the parameters that I figured were significant. A couple, like the target and actual angles, are intuitive but I don't know what the others mean. There are a couple times in this clip where the actual value seems to lead the target. I think that's aliasing due to the low sample rate. ...I think.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:43 AM   #486
LukasD94

Quote:

The trick is to catch the fault before the ECU drives a value in the init table so far that, should the fault suddenly be corrected, the startup diagnostic still returns an acceptable value for the "ok" flag. This is why I was thrilled when OBDLink added the VVT params to their software.

I am not by any means a mechanic/programmer, but if I understand correctly you are saying that there is a way to show to the ECU that everything is fine mechanically with the car and it should not pop-up the error code?
Old 05-18-2020, 11:52 PM   #487
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I am not by any means a mechanic/programmer, but if I understand correctly you are saying that there is a way to show to the ECU that everything is fine mechanically with the car and it should not pop-up the error code?
Well, yes and no. I've considered cobbling together a device to trick the servo circuit but it would only work for a specific engine speed. Maybe an arduino-based device could make a delay line as a function of input frequency blah blah blah... That would trick the ok flag but that bank would run like shit and I have no idea how quickly the delay could be dialed out as the ECU relearns, or if it would just immediately throw some other code. I've done something like that in the past but it was a completely analog device for a fixed frequency. Totally pulling the idea out of my ass.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:38 AM   #488
LukasD94

Quote:
Well, yes and no. I've considered cobbling together a device to trick the servo circuit but it would only work for a specific engine speed. Maybe an arduino-based device could make a delay line as a function of input frequency blah blah blah... That would trick the ok flag but that bank would run like shit and I have no idea how quickly the delay could be dialed out as the ECU relearns, or if it would just immediately throw some other code. I've done something like that in the past but it was a completely analog device for a fixed frequency. Totally pulling the idea out of my ass.
Hi guys, just to update. Received a programmer contact from my mechanic who is working exclusively with EVO and STI computers. We tried to reflash the ECU, first time the error did not dissapear but the second time with different software we hard reseted the ECU and uploaded new program form SUBARU (as far as I understand). The error code disappeared, the car is very responsive, everything works as it should, full power. I drove around 500km after reflash and approx 30 cycles. Hopefully the problem is solved without replacing the ECU... (keep in mind we changed the Cam Sprockets firstly).
The Following User Says Thank You to LukasD94 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #489
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Hi guys, just to update. Received a programmer contact from my mechanic who is working exclusively with EVO and STI computers. We tried to reflash the ECU, first time the error did not dissapear but the second time with different software we hard reseted the ECU and uploaded new program form SUBARU (as far as I understand). The error code disappeared, the car is very responsive, everything works as it should, full power. I drove around 500km after reflash and approx 30 cycles. Hopefully the problem is solved without replacing the ECU... (keep in mind we changed the Cam Sprockets firstly).
Please share more. Specifically, how can we reproduce this work?
Old 09-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #490
ArCha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
I've recently been dealing with this as well, P000C slow cam response and P0018 camshaft-crankshaft correlation. I check data logs and could see as per the P000C code that the camshaft was in fact not tracking correctly. Swapped the position sensors and oil control valves separately to confirm that it was a problem with the sprocket. No change. Swapped the sprocket and the P000C went away. Data logs show that the camshaft is now tracking correctly but the P0018 code remains. Confirmed the learning tables in Techstream were still showing an out of tolerance value of 47.49deg, what it was before the swap. Tried a bunch of ideas to reset the value, reflashing, calid, etc, but no luck. I could see that the learned values had minor changes in the my exhaust cams after each try but the intake cams were held static. Decided to test the ECU in a friend's car, it has an ECUTEK license and I really didn't want to replace with everything going on this year. Lo and behold, it starts in his car (with a stock ROM) with no code and his learned cam values were within tolerance. He drove around with it for a couple days with no problems. It's now back in my car and it's also running fine for a couple days. Learned values are within spec. Might be worth trying rather than replacing an ECU if you have access to another BRZ/FR-S/86.

TL;DR
You replaced the sprocket and still have a P0016/P0017/P0018/P0019 code? Try swapping the ecu into someone else's car. Maybe it just needs to go into comms mode but I can't try that now.

Procedure to swap ECU:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
ArCha is offline   Reply With Quote