follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2020, 01:29 AM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Hi everyone so here is an update. Originally when I said I tested all the fuses, that was the fuse box under the hood. I completely neglected the fuse box inside the car under the dash. Please forgive my ignorance.

Upon testing the fuses, I saw that the brake light fuse was blown. Put another one in, along with the switch from Subaru that came in today. I put it in and the car still would not start. I checked and my brake lights won’t come on, switch had to be good, it is brand new, so I checked the fuse and it’s blown again. Honestly I thought maybe I had put the blown fuse back in thinking it was thinking it was the fuse, so I grab another new fuse pop that in, and it blows again.

So the brake light fuse keeps blowing, the good news is I have figured out the problem. The bad news is, why does the fuse keep blowing? I don’t have a clue. Any ideas? Thank you all for your help and patience in dealing with me by the way.
NO! You get 3 demerits -

Well, the first thing I would suggest is that you read up on which circuit(s) are controlled by the fuse that keeps blowing.

Then, as ol soundman98 suggested, start with the brake light bulbs/sockets, then work your way back up to the fuse box to see if you can see/detect a condition that would cause a short.

Think - what have YOU done to your car lately, that could have smashed a wire to the stop lights?

Or, maybe you have a hungry rodent that chewed through a wire?

Bubba suggests that you pull the fuse, jump the fuse slots with a piece of heavy wire, stand back, wait a few, then look for the sparks/flames/smoke - BINGO there is the short -

PAY NO ATTENTION TO BUBBA TONIGHT, Saturday is his beer drinking night -

Happy hunting.

PS - check out this video - it most likely has nothing to do with your problem - but, the girl doing the work is kinda cute -

Last edited by humfrz; 05-24-2020 at 01:43 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Slade (05-24-2020), soundman98 (05-24-2020), vintagemxer (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #16
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
NO! You get 3 demerits -

Well, the first thing I would suggest is that you read up on which circuit(s) are controlled by the fuse that keeps blowing.

Then, as ol soundman98 suggested, start with the brake light bulbs/sockets, then work your way back up to the fuse box to see if you can see/detect a condition that would cause a short.

Think - what have YOU done to your car lately, that could have smashed a wire to the stop lights?

Or, maybe you have a hungry rodent that chewed through a wire?

Bubba suggests that you pull the fuse, jump the fuse slots with a piece of heavy wire, stand back, wait a few, then look for the sparks/flames/smoke - BINGO there is the short -

PAY NO ATTENTION TO BUBBA TONIGHT, Saturday is his beer drinking night -

Happy hunting.

PS - check out this video - it most likely has nothing to do with your problem - but, the girl doing the work is kinda cute -

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!!!

First off a huge thanks to Humfrz, Opie, and Soundman98. None of you had to take the time to help me, but you all did, and for that I am grateful! A lot of good came from this situation, I learned how to use a fuse tester and I got a new battery haha. But let me explain, so like I said last night I discovered the fuse kept blowing seconds after putting it in, which led you all to tell me there was a short somewhere.

When Humfrz said this: "Think - what have YOU done to your car lately, that could have smashed a wire to the stop lights?"

I literally stopped to think what did I do. All I did to the car was install my Whiteline rear sway bar links, (which by the way, make the car handle great now that I can finally drive her!). But I had to keep thinking, what else did I do? I completely neglected that after I installed the sway bar links I put in a new bulb in my rear fog light! Completely forgot about that!

I undid the electrical tape on the wiring and I saw that one of the wires was black instead of copper, so that must have been where the short was. I didn't do the wiring for this but the guy who did do it told me he wired it to function as a rear foglight and a 4th brake light. I think you all can tell by now I don't know much about electrical, so I couldn't tell which wire was which and honestly I'd rather have my car start then worry about a rear foglight, so I cut all three wires. Taped them individually so they wouldn't touch inadvertently, popped a new fuse in and saw it didn't blow. So I went and started the car and boom it started right up.

I did notice my brake lights were on even though I was out of the car, I thought I had another issue on my hands, but then I remembered the link that Opie posted where the brake light switch has to be adjusted. So I did that and now everything is ok!! I lost my rear foglight but whatever. Again thanks everyone for the help and your patience. If I can ever return the favor let me know. I am very grateful! Now I'm gonna go on a nice cruise to the beach, I love the way she handles.

P.S. yes that woman in the video is very cute haha

-Fabrice
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slade For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #17
humfrz

Quote:
PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!!!

P.S. yes that woman in the video is very cute haha

-Fabrice

Yaaaaaaa......... have fun at the beach -

Yep, she be a cutie -
Old 05-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #18
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Taped them individually so they wouldn't touch inadvertently
hopefully with ELECTRICAL tape. other tapes don't do well with weather, or electricals.
humfrz (05-24-2020), Slade (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #19
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
hopefully with ELECTRICAL tape. other tapes don't do well with weather, or electricals.
Will this do? It says its "tar-coated cotton with a vulcanized rubber adhesive".

It tears off straight, not like that vinyl stuff -

It has served my family well for generations.

Attached Images

Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Will this do? It says its "tar-coated cotton with a vulcanized rubber adhesive".

It tears off straight, not like that vinyl stuff -

It has served my family well for generations.

it's probably a little dried out by now unless you're keeping it in a humidor.
humfrz (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
it's probably a little dried out by now unless you're keeping it in a humidor.
Ya, I jest put it in a dish with a spoonful of water and microwave it for 20 seconds on HI - makes it good as new -

Yep, it IS ma nap time - ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Slade (05-24-2020), soundman98 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #22
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Definitely!
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slade For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-24-2020)