follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ah yes... the pristiiineee sunfire. With a name like that you can't go wrong. I mean... you could catch on fire but...
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dude, you got a sunfire?!??? thats the holy grail of rentals! I wish i could get one of those, all i got is a stupid impala. A sunfire is a spot on substitute for the '86!
zohare (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
zohare

Garage
Hahaha! Heelll yeeaahh. I'll be sure to have fun I'm whatever I get and post it for y'all
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
You guys are forgetting...if this is the other gent's insurance, he's not obligated to accept a pontiac sunfire or go by his insurance's rental rate. He can certainly negotiate to be made 'whole'. I've had multiple Mercedes rental cars (kind of meh cars to be honest though). That's not to say you'll definitely get it, but a rental that costs 25k new isn't out of the question.

Now if he's going through his OWN insurance company for all of this, then he's basically wasting time on DV. Almost all insurance companies have a DV clause preventing from you collecting.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
slawdio
ON SALE

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My understanding with a DV claim is that you don't know what the actual "diminished value" value is until you try to sell it, making it really complicated to claim...
slawdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Jon H

Drives: 2013 GT-R
Can you go back and file a claim after the car is sold? I traded in my last GT-R and was raped because it was rear ended. $25k in damages. I was dumb and the other insurance company said that CA doesn't recognize DV claims. Apparently this is not the case?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
doctortt

Drives: Searching
Any pics?
doctortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Can you go back and file a claim after the car is sold? I traded in my last GT-R and was raped because it was rear ended. $25k in damages. I was dumb and the other insurance company said that CA doesn't recognize DV claims. Apparently this is not the case?
Not sure about retroactively, but it's definitely not the case in CA as far as not recognizing DV claims if it's the OTHER party's insurance. Insurance companies aren't really afraid to lie about it in my experience.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
JayNutter
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
So... On Friday, I woke up and almost cried. I honestly thought I would get sick. Someone backed into my FR-S fairly hard. After recovering from sitting on the ground staring at it in horror, I took a bunch of photos. LUCKILY the individual had a sense of decency and left a very polite note with info. I work nights, so I walked outside at about 1730 after our insurance company had closed. Then the weekend. Here I am Monday, and I'm about to call and get the claim started. I will DEFINITELY be going for a diminished value claim- but have never done anything with insurance but pay it. Not even a ticket. So in short, things on my mind-

Anyone filed a DV claim in AZ, or know anyone who's filed claim of this sort have any connections in insurance etc.

> Do I file a DV claim before or after the vehicle is repaired?

Should I go through the highest recommended body shop in my area? Or through the large Yota dealers body shop?

> The local shop is rated 5/5 on every review I can find, most people r reviewing have had a few repairs completed. Toyota dealer is rated 4/5, but only has a single review I could find.

Rental car? - Can I expect an "equivalent" 2 door "sports" car, or will it be the standard car?

> I can only rent from Hertz, due to age restrictions. They have the "Adrenaline Collection" that includes a new Coyote 5.0.... Hopeful.

Some extra info, he hit the car pretty hard, I'll try and get up pictures, it will need a door and a fender. I haven't tried to open the door, but I'm expecting it will make crunching noises. Not by ANY means a body shop expert, but if I must guess- 2500-3500 ish in labor?

Things I'm going to get done if possible today.
-get a written offer for the vehicle in an undamaged condition. I could use some adds of anyone who knows of a USED BRZ/FR-S for sale.
-get a written offer for the vehicle in current, and a projected repair condition.
-get a repair quote from the dealer.

Anyone have ANY advice or suggestions here. Please- come all.
Talk with a lawyer or the insurance company won't take you seriously.
JayNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNutter View Post
Talk with a lawyer or the insurance company won't take you seriously.
I'm not sure you'll find an attorney willing to take this case for a few grand. Wouldn't even be enough money to cover the lawyer's bill.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
zohare

Garage
Talking Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
You guys are forgetting...if this is the other gent's insurance, he's not obligated to accept a pontiac sunfire or go by his insurance's rental rate. He can certainly negotiate to be made 'whole'. I've had multiple Mercedes rental cars (kind of meh cars to be honest though). That's not to say you'll definitely get it, but a rental that costs 25k new isn't out of the question.

Now if he's going through his OWN insurance company for all of this, then he's basically wasting time on DV. Almost all insurance companies have a DV clause preventing from you collecting.
Good News. The unbelievably decent (didn't know people with ethics still existed...) individual who hit my car took full liability. This whole thing is on his insurance- Though it is the same company, we don't have the same rep. I have a rep, and he has a claim adjuster, so I still feel like I have someone... Hm. "on my side" if you will. Rental is covered by his policy- However I may have to pay up front, due to the fact that the only company his insurance uses is Enterprise. Whom I can't go through because of age restrictions. They've agreed to work with me, either finding a way to wave the age restriction, or let me rent through Hertz. (Ideal, since I have triple rewards right now, and already have about a day and a half of free points stacked up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
As far as I am aware- you cannot. From what I understand, after the repair is made, the insurance claims adjuster will come out and quote you a DV. From there onwards, it's a dispute if you don't like the numbers. I'm quite certain I won't... I fully expect to see a $4,000 check. I will file a complaint with the state insurance ... words fail me... agency? forgot what it's called, but that, and take the case to small claims. I believe I will have a very strong case. Obviously, I wouldn't take any action if it turns out after repair, and it get's appraised at 22k or something then I have no ground to stand on. My/his insurance CO has agreed to take care of the DV claim, so I'm just hoping I get a good adjuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctortt View Post
Any pics?
Yes, I'll try and upload them to photobucket or something. Don't want to waste site bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I'm not sure you'll find an attorney willing to take this case for a few grand. Wouldn't even be enough money to cover the lawyer's bill.
I doubt I would- luckily, I shouldn't need one. If I need counsel for small claims, I have free legal assistance- Military that is, so granted- not the best in the world but they know more than I do.

Also something I found entertaining... I know nothing about body work, just spend a lot of time trolling car sites and looking at parts etc, and my damage estimate of 3k was off by 40c. No shit. Est before taxes was 2999.60. I must say I was rather proud of me. XD jkjk hahaha I think I will be going to that shop. They seemed excellent, and I haven't found a review anywhere that doesn't give them the highest rating possible respective to the site the review was posted on. My experience was phenomenal. The owner himself did the est, and seemed extremely knowledeable, and was willing to work with me for carbon fenders, had the OE parts turned out to be pricey.... Unfortunately... the fender is only 210.10. Door skin is something like 580, so if someone makes a FRP or carbon door skin for <700 I might consider, but I HIGHLY doubt it, plus, an optima would be a more cost effective weight reduction.
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
zohare

Garage
Along with some random sexy shots... proving a complete lack of prior damage XD
OK So apparently I'm retarded... how do you make the dam images show up from an external? Links should work, but I feel bad that you guys have to click click click
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...44Uk9YRWs/edit
1https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...ZnOUloQnc/edit
2https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...04eHpqdDA/edit
3https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...RsME9vaDg/edit
4https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...FaNy1sT0U/edit
5https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...hoRXZvNFE/edit
6https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...lxWnZtSGs/edit
7https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...xTbXozams/edit
8https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...81a3dOU00/edit
9https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...N4N21FSm8/edit
10https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...9QdGtFQWs/edit
11https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0-R...51UzFNS3c/edit

Last edited by zohare; 01-18-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: I'm a moron and don't know how to get photos to embed right...
The Following User Says Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (01-18-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
Gen

I'm not sure how it is in AZ, but in CA having the same insurance company as the other individual definitely complicates diminished value.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
zohare

Garage
Yeah well find out I guess. Whoever said that I can't claim against my own company is correct. I think the way it works is my policy isn't involved at all. The claim and everything is under a unique claim # attached to his policy. If I wanted I wouldn't even have to tell them I'm a usaa member and all would still go ahead. Only difference is faster customer service on that level until payout comes around... that's where it'll probably be dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered me 500$ dv

Tags
body, claim, insurance, shop, wrecked