follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
LOL, thanks I thought so, I will just continue to lurk from now on.

Just realized that's the Impreza Concept isn't it?
Yessir
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #30
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
LOL, thanks I thought so, I will just continue to lurk from now on.

Just realized that's the Impreza Concept isn't it?
you get a +1 for being awesome.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #31
dilly-o

Drives: 1996 300ZX
on the NASIOC forum, Subaru of America makes occasional cameo appearances, such as the one linked below. this confirms that there will only be the skeleton/drivetrain at Geneva. very disappointed. hopefully between subaru and toyota next week we can piece together a few more bits of the puzzle.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=885
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
nate89

Drives: MR2
From the subaru forum…

SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 171797

Quote:
Yes, chassis and running gear. The objective in Geneva is to let the world understand we are in charge of engineering on this car.

And

Today, 12:07 PM * #894
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
This small sports car is better suited to RWD. AWD is magnificent in our other vehicles but RWD suits this car better.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #33
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I know about car cycles, my only gripe is Toyota has created a second body yet Subaru doesn't even have one yet and they both started working on them the same time. We have seen the mis-matched body now for a good two years testing.
The thing to keep in mind is that just because Subaru or any other car company doesn't release a concept at an autoshow, doesn't mean they have nothing behind closed doors.

You'd be surprised how far in advance the designs get pinned down.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #34
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly-o View Post
on the NASIOC forum, Subaru of America makes occasional cameo appearances, such as the one linked below. this confirms that there will only be the skeleton/drivetrain at Geneva. very disappointed. hopefully between subaru and toyota next week we can piece together a few more bits of the puzzle.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=885
Really? Actually, I'm really happy about that. We have only seen shell of FT86c and never actually seen inside design (suspension, drivetrain & etc), so this helps to see how FT86c gonna be setup. Suvie ver & Toyo ver is prob using same layout, so we can guess how FT86c gonna have and don't have.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
From the subaru forum…

SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Yes, chassis and running gear. The objective in Geneva is to let the world understand we are in charge of engineering on this car.

And

Today, 12:07 PM * #894
SOA Blog
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
This small sports car is better suited to RWD. AWD is magnificent in our other vehicles but RWD suits this car better.

Ok. So
a) Why is the Chief engineer and designer a Toyota guy

and

b ) If they are telling the truth, what the fuck is it exactly that Toyota are doing?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #36
shadowa00

Drives: honda civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Ok. So
a) Why is the Chief engineer and designer a Toyota guy

and

b ) If they are telling the truth, what the fuck is it exactly that Toyota are doing?

I'm pretty sure that the ft86 will be a Toyota's exterior designed shell with the heart(engine/drivetrain) of a Subaru.

Well what's Toyota doing? The exterior and the interior.
What's Subaru doing, the important stuff, engine/drivetrain.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #37
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i was hoping this would be a more in-depth collaboration, but that remains to be seen. i'm really interested what sort of boxer it has, especially head design.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
NASIOC has gotten insider info before, for the STI sedan for example mods and/or admin were invited to a special press conference for pics and such.

But the quoted thread here doesn't seem to be any different than our speculation threads. If NASIOC got another special invite it would be a huge news thread with pics and such.

I don't know if the 'SOA Blog' member is legit, especially with stuff like this:

Quote:

Because titanium.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #39
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowa00 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the ft86 will be a Toyota's exterior designed shell with the heart(engine/drivetrain) of a Subaru.

Well what's Toyota doing? The exterior and the interior.
What's Subaru doing, the important stuff, engine/drivetrain.
I find that very hard to believe, which is why I think that guy is full of shit. Tetsuya Tada is chief engineer/designer on the car and he is a Toyota employee. While I'm sure some ppl on here would love to believe that drivel just so more hate to Toyota can be fueled, I think that info should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
i was hoping this would be a more in-depth collaboration, but that remains to be seen. i'm really interested what sort of boxer it has, especially head design.
I don't mind the extensive use of subaru parts, but fuck em all to hell if I can't have Toyota putting the stuff together. Toyota has far more experience building FR sports cars than Subaru does, and while I admire their engineering ability, I don't want a Subaru with Toyota badges. I want a Toyota car with Subaru parts, thank you very much.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #40
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
I find that very hard to believe, which is why I think that guy is full of shit. Tetsuya Tada is chief engineer/designer on the car and he is a Toyota employee. While I'm sure some ppl on here would love to believe that drivel just so more hate to Toyota can be fueled, I think that info should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.

I don't mind the extensive use of subaru parts, but fuck em all to hell if I can't have Toyota putting the stuff together. Toyota has far more experience building FR sports cars than Subaru does, and while I admire their engineering ability, I don't want a Subaru with Toyota badges. I want a Toyota car with Subaru parts, thank you very much.
SOA Blog has repeatedly been proven legitamite on NASIOC.

And it's been quite clear from the very start of the project that Subaru is responsible for the chassis and drivetrain engineering (with Toyota adding some input). Toyota, in return, is head of modeling, interior, and quality control.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #41
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbcraig View Post

And it's been quite clear from the very start of the project that Subaru is responsible for the chassis and drivetrain engineering (with Toyota adding some input). Toyota, in return, is head of modeling, interior, and quality control.
+1

Im actually surprised that this topic is being brought up, I thought it was old new and common knowledge on this forum already?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbcraig View Post

I'll take your word for it then.

Not a big fan of the drama/BS on NASIOC so I don't spend too much time there. Pet peeve of mine was the big brake sticky by Davenow and how it was full of incorrect and incomplete info, with him editing and backtracking (I posted under 'Burnman' there). If a 'sticky' has like 9 pages of debate, argument and needed extensive editing, maybe it shouldn't have been stickied...

If the 'SOA Blog' is legit, that is good for me. The implication being that it WILL come to North America as a Subaru, so if Toyota NA drops the ball with the Scion thing, I have an alternative.

Still wondering why Subaru would be in charge of the RWD platform when Toyota clearly has the more experienced engineers (LFA). Also you can't really say it's been 'clear' that Subaru is running the show from the start when almost all the press is been on the FT86.

Because titanium.

Closed Thread