follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dead battery

Hey guys, I've not used my car for 1 week. The battery is dead. I will only use it for this sunday...

Should I disconnect the positive terminal of my battery?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
What are you hoping to accomplish by disconnecting it? I've left mine for a week before with no ill effects.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
If it's dead, you better charge it before it stays dead. The longer you wait, the less chance it can be revived.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Disconnect it and recharge it while it is unhooked.

Jumping a car with a dead battery then letting the alternator charge it back up from dead is a sure fire way to kill a prefectly good alternator (assuming it was good to start with).
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (08-01-2016)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish by disconnecting it? I've left mine for a week before with no ill effects.
If you have the smart key/push button ignition, there is a lot more draw on the battery while parked than without. Mine went dead after sitting for about 8 days a week ago. Charged up and started without issue fortunately. If you know you won't use the car for some time, disconnecting or using a battery tender is probably a good idea.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
stugray (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Eski

Drives: '15 Brz Series Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
If you have the smart key/push button ignition, there is a lot more draw on the battery while parked than without. Mine went dead after sitting for about 8 days a week ago. Charged up and started without issue fortunately. If you know you won't use the car for some time, disconnecting or using a battery tender is probably a good idea.

shenanigans. there is not enough of a draw on the battery to drain it dead. there is no need to disconnect a battery for a small time like 8 days. maybe over a month, yes.

if your going to disconnect your battery like this^ then you should get a memory saver to plug in to save your settings, otherwise once you disconnect the neg cable you will reset all your settings to factory.
JohnJuan (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Or ditch the crappy battery that comes with the MT version of our cars and buy something with enough CCA's that you won't be left stranded. I ditched the crappy factory 390 CCA battery for a NAPA 640 CCA unit and life is much better.

Seriously.. A high compression engine and the stock batter is only 390 CCAs.. That's some BS right there. The AT version of our car I think got at least 500 CCAs (correct me if I'm wrong).
Chad86 (08-01-2016), civicdrivr (03-12-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Or ditch the crappy battery that comes with the MT version of our cars and buy something with enough CCA's that you won't be left stranded. I ditched the crappy factory 390 CCA battery for a NAPA 640 CCA unit and life is much better.

Seriously.. A high compression engine and the stock batter is only 390 CCAs.. That's some BS right there. The AT version of our car I think got at least 500 CCAs (correct me if I'm wrong).
Not sure about that. From what I can tell my battery (Panasonic 55D23L) is only 390 or 400 CCA. Can someone with MT chime in on their battery number?

And fwiw my battery crapped out totally after about 30 months of daily driving.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #9
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
Hey guys, I've not used my car for 1 week. The battery is dead. I will only use it for this sunday...

Should I disconnect the positive terminal of my battery?
Just disconnect both cables and charge it with a 2 amp charger, a lower amp charging is better than like a 6 amp. Keep it on charge the whole week it wont harm anything, if any cell plates are sulfated they will desulfate with a charge for a week. Unless batteries are damaged they won't go bad, batteries go dead from sulfation. You can snap a battery back to life if you do like a week or 2 on a six amp charge topping with distilled water every once in a while. Also look for anything that may be staying on when the car is off. Something is draining the battery, on a new car I'd get a multimeter and make sure you are putting out 13+ volts at 2000 rpm consistently from the alternator with lights and a/c on for a load. No drops at a steady 2000 rpm and the alternator is good.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thank you all for your inputs, just to let you know. Reason I disconnected it is due for the battery to not drain more power. I am not trying to accomplish anything, I will call Road Assistance to come jump start it. Since its nose in inside my garage.

How many time can I call scion road assistance (Canada) ?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
Thank you all for your inputs, just to let you know. Reason I disconnected it is due for the battery to not drain more power. I am not trying to accomplish anything, I will call Road Assistance to come jump start it. Since its nose in inside my garage.

How many time can I call scion road assistance (Canada) ?
or you can take out battery and charge it inside home.
i've done it because of same reason my car's nose is at corner.
I left my car for 2 weeks in below 20 degree and it went dead. bought battery charger and charged inside garage then started the car right back up after one day
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski View Post
shenanigans. there is not enough of a draw on the battery to drain it dead. there is no need to disconnect a battery for a small time like 8 days. maybe over a month, yes.

if your going to disconnect your battery like this^ then you should get a memory saver to plug in to save your settings, otherwise once you disconnect the neg cable you will reset all your settings to factory.
I agree that this usually wouldn't be the case, but this has been happening fairly often lately to people with the stock battery in the cold. There have been 4 similar threads in the last month.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/searc...archid=8573373

I read in on of those threads that someone tested a new car on the lot and it was drawing 150mah while off (havent checked mine). From what ive found, the stock battery is 60ah. If these are both true, then the battery would go dead in just over 16 days in perfect conditions. The cold and the quality of the battery are both going decrease this time. This battery really doesnt seem to like the cold. For me it was getting below 0F while I was gone, never above freezing.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
From what ive found, the stock battery is 60ah. If these are both true, then the battery would go dead in just over 16 days in perfect conditions. .
I agree. In fact a 60Ah battery discharging at .150A will reach 40% state of charge (60% depth of discharge) in 10 days.
At 40% SOC the voltage would only be 12 volts, and when you crank it would drop to below 11 volts.

My 2013 MT has the original battery and I find that I am low on charge if I make just a few short trips around town.
It seems that this car has a higher than average current draw under normal operating conditions than other cars.
Now I try to shut of all electrical systems before shutting the car off so that I have less load when I go to start it again.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Not sure about that. From what I can tell my battery (Panasonic 55D23L) is only 390 or 400 CCA. Can someone with MT chime in on their battery number?

And fwiw my battery crapped out totally after about 30 months of daily driving.
I'm 100% positively sure about the Panasonic battery is 390 CCA on the MT FRS. It said it right on the top of it.