follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #29
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota owns ~20% of Subaru which is more than enough to have heavy influence (not a controlling share but a major one at that)
also sorry if i am wrong but i was under the impression this WHOLE time, since finding out about this car, reading things on the web and on this very site from many ppl that the difference between the toyotas and subarus version will be the badge as it is a JOINT venture.. if they start changing the chassis then you need a whole new development, which negates the need and/or purpose of a joint venture.
however if this is JUST a toyota that is using a subaru engine (and not a joint venture) then why is this forum have 216a in its name, why would the subaru version look ANYthing like the toyota if the chassis is different.. no body pannels will be the same, the shape would not be the same or even similar.. badge engineering is taking a car, changing the badge and a few panels and calling it something else eg ford probe/mazda MX6, ford laser/mazda 323, pontiac gto/holden monaro/Vaxhaul GTO

so IF the 216a isnt a rebadged version of the FT86 then WHAT is it?? does it even exist?? if a 216a does not and will not exist then why are we arguing over it? i wasnt talking about a impreza WRX coupe, i was talking about the rebadged FT86 ie 216a
Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #30
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
No offense but... who said that? I don't remember them saying it like that. Toyota just stated they gonna be using Subaru's boxer engine in FT86 and it'll be FR. When that happened spy cameras were seeing coupe Subaru test driving around Nur. Subaru said they'll use Toyota FT86's tech to make their ver (216a). Rest are all speculations.

Hm... I can't agree on Toyota been the boss. Yes, Toyota have certain power over Subaru... but that doesn't stop Subaru from going different way.

FT86 is already a great resource for Subaru. If they want, they can make next gen SVX making it H6 w Toyota/Yamaha engineered Head (& add one more cylinder each on each side).

Pretty much until we actually see the Subaru ver, all we can do is speculate.
The Toyota being the boss was just me trying being a bit funny and maybe a bit of a **** too. TOYOTA FTMFW!!! (sorry...)

Most cost effective for them is take the FT/R-86/S, different front and rear bumpers/lights. Subaru styled interior. World Rally Blue paint. Subaru badge. Prodrive or BBS wheels (gold optional). Done. Awesome little car as is (in theory anyways). No need for them to worry about AWD on this one. Gives them more $$$ to play with on their own future projects.

I think part of my thinking comes from when they were a really niche, low-volume company in the '90s and were in the middle of developing the SVX. They didn't have the engineering resources to introduce a manual AND an automatic that suited the EG33 to their standards. So instead of two so-so options they pulled the trigger on one good one. But it was the auto.

That really isn't the case anymore, so I have to stop thinking of them as a little niche company.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #31
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Quote:
Like I said, I totally agree w you. That doesn't mean anything.

Did any auto show that next Impreza or next gen car will be FR? I don't think so.

Like I said to 70NYD, Subaru still can do anything they want to next car. Why they gonna follow same chassis as Toyota? Subaru haven't shown official concept of this car yet. It's all speculation and nothing official. Just some spy pic and vid was see here and there... but that's all.

Good point.
I remembered something...
That Subaru suposely used the floor pan of the 300ZX for the SVX but moffied the front chassie rails to accommdate the EG33.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #32
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
so IF the 216a isnt a rebadged version of the FT86 then WHAT is it?? does it even exist?? if a 216a does not and will not exist then why are we arguing over it? i wasnt talking about a impreza WRX coupe, i was talking about the rebadged FT86 ie 216a
Just my pure entertainment. It's been kinda boring around here, so thought to spice things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The Toyota being the boss was just me trying being a bit funny and maybe a bit of a **** too. TOYOTA FTMFW!!! (sorry...)

Most cost effective for them is take the FT/R-86/S, different front and rear bumpers/lights. Subaru styled interior. World Rally Blue paint. Subaru badge. Prodrive or BBS wheels (gold optional). Done. Awesome little car as is (in theory anyways). No need for them to worry about AWD on this one. Gives them more $$$ to play with on their own future projects.

I think part of my thinking comes from when they were a really niche, low-volume company in the '90s and were in the middle of developing the SVX. They didn't have the engineering resources to introduce a manual AND an automatic that suited the EG33 to their standards. So instead of two so-so options they pulled the trigger on one good one. But it was the auto.

That really isn't the case anymore, so I have to stop thinking of them as a little niche company.
Really? I thought, it was horrible idea to have auto in SVX. Every SVX ever seen in junkyard, it's always blown tranny. Now, they have enough tech to put great H6 & stronger MT or AT to hold that power. Also first time I saw the rear brake light of FT86 it reminded me of SVX rear.
SVX Rear

FT86c Rear

well kinda similar...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #33
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Quote:

Really? I thought, it was horrible idea to have auto in SVX. Every SVX ever seen in junkyard, it's always blown tranny. Now, they have enough tech to put great H6 & stronger MT or AT to hold that power. Also first time I saw the rear brake light of FT86 it reminded me of SVX rear.
SVX Rear

FT86c Rear

well kinda similar...

Subaru originally said they only used the auto because the manuals could not handle it...
Saying that after this time and alot of manuals have been fitted to SVXi, Its been found that if you drive it in the higher Rev range the engine spews its coolant out.
If you drive normally its fine. But ive heard from some guys that if you take it to the track you can empty the raditor after 2-3 laps.
There has been work done to solve the problem.. and it has got alot better. There is a restriction in the cooling system.
The auto has a top rev range set to 5900rpm? I cant remember exactly?
Autos dont get the cooling problems the same.
I never got any of mine to over heat. Even when I was driving around with a slipping auto lol going up to 7 or 8k rev line.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #34
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
yay another waste of a thread lol
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #35
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Just my pure entertainment. It's been kinda boring around here, so thought to spice things up.

SVX Rear

FT86c Rear

well kinda similar...
Reminds me of an rx-7 actually.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #36
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post