follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Ramo

Drives: waiting for Toyobaru!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you want a turbo engine for the FT-86? Read here

What isn’t this thread:
A topic made to generate another “war” between who prefer the turbo solution and who prefer the NA one. Or why a solution is better than another one.
Personally I think that the better choice for a 2.0 engine is a turbocharger setup. I’ve no problem with other member who prefer NA solution. But the thing is that if Toyota/Subaru will not give me a turbo engine, I will not give them my money. And I’m not the only one with this opinion here.

So, welcome to a NA solution for people who prefer this kind of engine. But Toyota and Subaru have also to satisfy who prefer a turbo motor. Even to an higher price.

The proposal: why don’t make a common on-line petition to the manufacturer? A real petition where every member interested write up a signature, the country of provenience, e-mail and last but not least, his nickname on the web-site (actually the bigger one on the net dedicated to this car).

You think it is not a good proposal? Maybe. But we can try for free… Do you know that BMW has made the previous and the last one generation of M5 also with manual gearbox only for USA? Why? Because US costumers asked it… Think about it…

Ramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Because putting up a petition and making people sign up for a sign to sign a petition doesn't really help. If I remember correctly there was another one up and it had.. 300(?) signatures? That isn't going to say much to Toyota/Scion/Sub. People have tried talking to representatives, going on facebook and sending letters. Toyota JP may listen, as for the rest of the world. I'm not sure.

However, I'm pretttttty sure a year after the primer of this car a turbo will be created. Or a Limited edition.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Ramo

Like a perfect moron, I put this thread in the wrong place... can someone move it?

To Giccin: it's a matter of 5 minutes. But togheter maybe we can totalize more than 300 signature... And, if some blog or internet site spike about this strange proposal to Toyota, things can became bigger...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
I'm pretty sure the designers/engineers are just as knowledgeable and probably even as enthusiastic about a good turbo engine as we are. After all, who says "ah, that's just too much power for me"?

If there's no turbo, it's for a reason...and there could be lots of them. For the glorious 300 (was this number meant ironically?) that send a petition, there will be thousands more that will buy this car that haven't even heard of it yet and probably couldn't explain what a flat 4 is.

I understand your angst, but if it is that important, why not just go aftermarket? The quality and gains would likely be better anyhow. I would love to have a turbo in this car. If it's not in the cards though and it was a deal breaker I would consider that part of the cost factor when comparing my alternatives.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Based on the Nurburgring vid, it seems to be running very well in NA form.

If you want a turbo, why not just add an aftermarket turbo kit? Would you rather pay 5K more for a small OEM turbo kit or pay 5K for a better aftermarket kit!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
id rather have a factory turbo, with a warranty....vs a aftermarket turbo kit that voids my warranty.Id rather have the manufacturer do the research and take the necessary steps to making a reliable turbocharged engine..vs tuning and rebuilding a brand new engine to accept forced induction.

While i could care less about forced induction at this point. Signing a petition is actually a good way to get the attention of the manufacturers corporate office and marketing department who crunch numbers. If there are a good amount of people who want a turbocharged car and the demographics of the consumer are just right, and makes them money. They would be stupid not to play a hand, and would be bad for business if they ignored a decently sized petition. This is how the consumers can turn the tables into getting what we want VS the Manufacturer telling us what we want/should want.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
To Giccin: it's a matter of 5 minutes. But togheter maybe we can totalize more than 300 signature... And, if some blog or internet site spike about this strange proposal to Toyota, things can became bigger...
I'm not saying I'm not doing it. I'm saying many people would rather just put a name in that takes 10 seconds rather than go register for an account that asks for information they don't want to put in and takes 5 minutes.

Point is, there will be those who care enough to do it, and those who care but are too lazy to actually make an account. Catch my drift?

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
At this point, I don't think a turbo is practical, but maybe factory supercharging later.
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm in a bit of a 'no-turbo' mood right now. This is because for some reason, the only 3 Genesis Coupes I noticed driving last weekend were by douche-y kids playing with their aftermarket BOVs. Ricey.

Makes me want people to have to work for their pshhh! with the FT86...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
What isn’t this thread:
Do you know that BMW has made the previous and the last one generation of M5 also with manual gearbox only for USA?
Very true for the E60 but you're dead wrong about the "previous" (e39) M5. They were only available as a 6 speed no matter what part of the world you lived in.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Nambo

Drives: '12 BRZ [CBS]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
id rather have a factory turbo, with a warranty....vs a aftermarket turbo kit that voids my warranty.Id rather have the manufacturer do the research and take the necessary steps to making a reliable turbocharged engine..vs tuning and rebuilding a brand new engine to accept forced induction.
Everytime I look at modifying my car there's this nagging voice saying 'but you'll void your warranty' but definately, a petition would be a great idea.
Nambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Petition will not change this car to magically having a turbo for its premier, or even second, and probably 3rd year of release from the factory. But if it makes you feel better...
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Im fine with having just NA.
I would love a factory flat 6 NA in my one But that wont happen.
Im kean just for a nice 2.0 or 2.5 NA for my daily driver.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Ramo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
To bofe and RRnold

I can't make a better response: thi is the real point.