follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should I buy the car?
Yes, someone else has spent a lot on mods you can get for almost free 11 12.94%
No, this car is a grenade waiting to explode! 74 87.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Insane

Drives: Navara
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice before purchasing heavily modified 86

Hi guys,

New member here. I'm looking at purchasing an 86/BRZ in Australia and am looking for some advice about a potential car I've seen for sale.*

Its a highly modified 2013 86 GT, with 76,000 km.

The owner has dropped a lot of coin on the car, which is why it appeals to me over purchasing a stock 2nd hand or new one. The asking price is about $3,000 more than a stock 2017 86 GT.

The car will be my daily driver, but I love the looks of it and the fact that it has lots of extra power, I just really don't want to "buy someone else's headache" and get stuck with continued repair bills for one thing or another breaking for the life of my ownership.

The performance mods that may be of concern to me are roughly as follows:

- DTM wheels
- hancook RS3 tyres
- light weight p2 red pulley kit upgrade.
- raceseng oil cap/cover kit
- raceseng oil plate*
- BC blue adjustable coil overs
- zentronic e85 eflex converter
- zentronoc e85 interior display guage.
-upgraded mishimotor radiator
- extra heavy duty stage 2 race clutch
- blouch turbo kit
- adjustable sway bars and tail arms.
- full invidia N1 exhaust.
- perrin overpipe
- cat delete pipe comes with car not installed.
-catch can
- fuel pump
- 900cc injectors
- full Engineer certificate

Some red flags for me that I would like reassurance about..

- "So i have snapped in total of 2 axels, they snap when the car is under load and you hit a pump, one wheel lifts and touches the ground and all pressure goes to the axel, being very powerful causes it to snap. In saying that, ive only ever snapped axels when the car was very low, ive now had it raised to 140mm (over legal height) so that issue does not happen again) I have not had any issues since then and i don't expect to as the weight distribution is so much better than having camber. ". My research has indicated this is correct and that raising the ride height nearer to stock prevents axles snapping in most situations.

- Turbo.* " With my tune these kits are rated for over 300kw, i did not dare go past 280kw i left mine for street use at 255kw atw so its at a very very safe tune while still being very quick, there is alot of room to go faster but i would reccomend doing the internals first because after 270kw kts a risky game. It is tuned for reliability, and something that won't harm the gear box. Alot of guys push for more power however its pointless. Its not worth ruining the internals for the sake of another 30+kw atw. In short, i wasnt a idiot, i had the tuner have it tuned for reliability and where no harm can be done to the engine from trying to push out too much. "

I've seen SC kits etc that advertise about 190kw at the wheels as being safe for the engine, is 255kw really safe for these engines or is it just waiting to grenade? I would potentially be fine with lowering boost if necessary to provide reliability.

- The car has a front tow hook fitted, although the owner insists the car has never been tracked. Is this something people do for aesthetics or is it generally only functional and indicates that the car has been tracked heavily?

- The owner said "The timing belt snapped twice recently due to smooth pulleys so I had those replaced recently with brand new ones that cost about $800 installed. If there have been any issues they have been fixed right away by PVS tuning as those guys are the best tuners in the Sydney area for the 86/BRZ. "

This is a big flag for me potentially, is this a common occurrence with boosted engines? When the timing belt snaps, is there potential for it to damage engine internals? Slightly bent rods etc that are going to get worse? Is the fix for the belt snapping to replace the pulleys?

Thank you all so much in advance, I love the 86 and I love the way this one looks (I didn't list all the aesthetic mods) I just really don't want to purchase a lemon, and frankly I don't have enough money to be constantly replacing bits and pieces of the car as they break, over about $1500/year.* The odd problem from wear is fine though, just not whole assemblies.

Thanks
Insane
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I'd want to scope those combustion chambers to see if the valves hit the pistons. Breaking timing chains is kind of a big deal. IMHO if you buy that with your heart and ignore your head you're going to break your wallet
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I'd want to scope those combustion chambers to see if the valves hit the pistons. Breaking timing chains is kind of a big deal. IMHO if you buy that with your heart and ignore your head you're going to break your wallet
Thanks mate.

I've been doing research and it doesn't even look like the car has timing belts as he has said, it instead has a chain. It's pretty unlikely to be snapping timing chains and repairing with a smooth pulley isn't it? Do you guys think he might be referring to the accessory belts??
Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is no timing belt.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantana frs For This Useful Post:
Freeman (04-12-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Hi guys,

New member here. I'm looking at purchasing an 86/BRZ in Australia and am looking for some advice about a potential car I've seen for sale.*

The owner has dropped a lot of coin on the car, which is why it appeals to me over purchasing a stock 2nd hand or new one. The asking price is about $3,000 more than a stock 2017 86 GT.

The car will be my daily driver, but I love the looks of it and the fact that it has lots of extra power, I just really don't want to "buy someone else's headache" and get stuck with continued repair bills for one thing or another breaking for the life of my ownership...............

Thanks
Insane
hmmmmm........note the bolded text ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atropine (04-10-2017), Cole (04-10-2017), daiheadjai (04-11-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I wouldn't touch any car that had been messed around with. Especially more expensive than stock.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks mate.

I've been doing research and it doesn't even look like the car has timing belts as he has said, it instead has a chain. It's pretty unlikely to be snapping timing chains and repairing with a smooth pulley isn't it? Do you guys think he might be referring to the accessory belts??
Most likely.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi guys,

The car will be my daily driver, but I love the looks of it and the fact that it has lots of extra power, I just really don't want to "buy someone else's headache" and get stuck with continued repair bills for one thing or another breaking for the life of my ownership.

The performance mods that may be of concern to me are roughly as follows:

- DTM wheels
- hancook RS3 tyres
- light weight p2 red pulley kit upgrade.
- raceseng oil cap/cover kit
- raceseng oil plate*
- BC blue adjustable coil overs
- zentronic e85 eflex converter
- zentronoc e85 interior display guage.
-upgraded mishimotor radiator
- extra heavy duty stage 2 race clutch
- blouch turbo kit
- adjustable sway bars and tail arms.
- full invidia N1 exhaust.
- perrin overpipe
- cat delete pipe comes with car not installed.
-catch can
- fuel pump
- 900cc injectors
- full Engineer certificate

Some red flags for me that I would like reassurance about..

- "So i have snapped in total of 2 axels, they snap when the car is under load and you hit a pump, one wheel lifts and touches the ground and all pressure goes to the axel, being very powerful causes it to snap. In saying that, ive only ever snapped axels when the car was very low, ive now had it raised to 140mm (over legal height) so that issue does not happen again) I have not had any issues since then and i don't expect to as the weight distribution is so much better than having camber. ". My research has indicated this is correct and that raising the ride height nearer to stock prevents axles snapping in most situations.

- Turbo.* " With my tune these kits are rated for over 300kw, i did not dare go past 280kw i left mine for street use at 255kw atw so its at a very very safe tune while still being very quick, there is alot of room to go faster but i would reccomend doing the internals first because after 270kw kts a risky game. It is tuned for reliability, and something that won't harm the gear box. Alot of guys push for more power however its pointless. Its not worth ruining the internals for the sake of another 30+kw atw. In short, i wasnt a idiot, i had the tuner have it tuned for reliability and where no harm can be done to the engine from trying to push out too much. "

I've seen SC kits etc that advertise about 190kw at the wheels as being safe for the engine, is 255kw really safe for these engines or is it just waiting to grenade? I would potentially be fine with lowering boost if necessary to provide reliability.

- The car has a front tow hook fitted, although the owner insists the car has never been tracked. Is this something people do for aesthetics or is it generally only functional and indicates that the car has been tracked heavily?

- The owner said "The timing belt snapped twice recently due to smooth pulleys so I had those replaced recently with brand new ones that cost about $800 installed. If there have been any issues they have been fixed right away by PVS tuning as those guys are the best tuners in the Sydney area for the 86/BRZ. "

This is a big flag for me potentially, is this a common occurrence with boosted engines? When the timing belt snaps, is there potential for it to damage engine internals? Slightly bent rods etc that are going to get worse? Is the fix for the belt snapping to replace the pulleys?

Thank you all so much in advance, I love the 86 and I love the way this one looks (I didn't list all the aesthetic mods) I just really don't want to purchase a lemon, and frankly I don't have enough money to be constantly replacing bits and pieces of the car as they break, over about $1500/year.* The odd problem from wear is fine though, just not whole assemblies.

Thanks
Insane
Why would you buy a 2013 for $3000 more than a stock 2017?
IMHO that's not a good financial decision unless you got $$$$$ burn. Just my 2 cents

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
why? (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That would be a really bad decision to buy the car. When people mod like they they need to understand that they'll never get their money back and in fact make the car less valuable than stock.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
86geek (04-09-2017), Dake (04-10-2017), Freeman (04-12-2017), soulreapersteve (04-11-2017), why? (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I figured he got belt and chain mixed up which is a common mistake. Definitely make sure whether it was a serpentine belt (no big deal but make sure the pulleys are all good and straight) or a timing chain (really big deal).

Unless you can do a lot of the work yourself it'll get real expensive real quick. I don't know your mechanical skill level, but this will be a very high maintenance car either way.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
why? (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Why would you buy a 2013 for $3000 more than a stock 2017?
IMHO that's not a good financial decision unless you got $$$$$ burn. Just my 2 cents
Pretty much because he's pumped 30k into it, and it's now got the kind of performance I could never afford to give a 2017 86. Engineering here to make sure the turbo is all legal is about 5k by itself :/
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Yeah.... don't buy an abused, high mileage car for more than a new stock one. That is a recipe for disaster financially, especially when the repair bills start stacking up and you already admit you can't afford to modify a car.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-10-2017), Freeman (04-12-2017), why? (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Walk away, let someone else discover the real abuse that car has taken.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-10-2017), Freeman (04-12-2017), why? (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
I wouldn't buy it for $10k less than stock. The only reason to put performance mods into the car are if you are going to drive it hard.

Also in my opinion these cars aren't worth squat when modded. A guy I work with had to put the original rims and springs in his 86 in order to sell it because no-one was interested even with the minor mods. Ended up putting the original equipment back in and selling it for more.

This car's resale will plummet as a second owner on a high mileage, modded car. If a modded car is what you are after, buy a decent S15 or similar so you've got cash for repairs.
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote