follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #85
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Yes, the limiting factor is definitely the torque. The fact that the car will weigh less than other offerings DOES ease the strain on the gearbox somewhat, but it would still need to be built heavier.

I'm sure Aisin could do it without a problem...a variant of what they offered on the Solstice GXP might be a possibility, for example. The issue is, if there isn't a FACTORY turbo offering, reliability will probably be an issue once people start adding power or swapping engines. With a car that's being optimized for low weight and low torque output, I can only assume that a light-weight transmission would be part of the recipe.

That's why I want a factory turbo offering....many of the engineering issues would already be taken care of by the factory, meaning if I want to start adding even more power (which I always want to do because hell, why not!) I don't have to worry about so much.

One thing I can see as a potential problem: A gearbox built to handle more torque would definitely FEEL different than the lightweight one. It wouldn't be quit as snickt snickt, if you know what I mean. The effort would go up. Tremec makes some really great transmissions for high-power applications, and they feel great, but nobody would ever mistake the Camaro/Mustang transmission (they're the same) for an S2000.

I learned my lesson on power modification effects on the rest of the driveline the hard way. When I was 16, I purchased a 1989 IROC-Z Camaro with the 5 speed manual. The car was not offered with the 350ci engine and a manual...the manual only came with the 305ci. However, 4 months after I bought it, the engine threw a rod. Insurance covered an engine replacement, but due to the fact that Chevy wasn't making the 305 anymore, they just gave me a 350 from the C4 Corvette, as it was less expensive than finding/rebuilding a 305. 2 weeks after that, the transmission ripped off it's own face. They then replaced the transmission with a newer unit from a Camaro. Just 2 days after I got THAT back from the shop, the rear-end got ripped to pieces. That's what happens when you put a 330hp and torque in a car that came with 225. On the upside, after several months of frustration, I legally owned an IROC-Z with a complete, rebuilt/new Corvette drivetrain.
Interestingly enough, this is a modern GM-spec version of the transmission known in Toyota circles as the R154, the Mk3 Supra Turbo's 5 speed.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #86
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Interestingly enough, this is a modern GM-spec version of the transmission known in Toyota circles as the R154, the Mk3 Supra Turbo's 5 speed.
Which was good up to....uh, whatever your heart desires in terms of power.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #87
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Which was good up to....uh, whatever your heart desires in terms of power.
I would realistically set the limit at around 700 hp. Depending on launch and traction. My buddy was in the 800 whp range and launching on slicks and it was holding. But he wasn't out every weekend or more than 5 runs when he did drag it.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote