follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2023, 05:16 AM   #15
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Serious questions. Why do you have such a big focus on weight?
Because weight creates inertia. If I didn't have a fondness for the lightest, most nimble vehicles I'd have bought a M2. From my perspective what the twins offer is the lightest RWD car I can fit a bike case in. I kind of want different material on my seats in a different color, and I'd love to not have such a thick seat back, so instead of only looking into reupolstering I thought I'd consider replacement seats. If I'm going to do that I might as well see how much weight can be dropped at the same time to lean into this car's strength.
However, it's sounding like what I want doesn't exist so I'll probably stick with the stock seats or reupolster them.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:57 AM   #16
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Recaro Sportster are a very good and popular option for folding seats. They're kind of the benchmark, and also ~1500 bucks each seat and not including rails/sliders.

- Andrew
^ this right here. $1,500-$2,500 depending on how you have them optioned.

Have these seats and would put them in every car I own if I could justify it. Fine for 600-mile trips, and the bolsters are aggressive enough for track use and a harness.

I doubt you'd save any weight, the stock BRZ seats are all manually adjustable, correct? I know our shop mule is. If we were talking about an AMG or CTS-V where the seats are a bazillion way electrically adjustable, the seats are 70-90+ pounds and there's decent opportunity for weight savings. Even going to a high-end seat like the Sportster CS, you'd gain some additional comfort, performance capability, convenience, and cool factor points, but little to any weight savings. If you went hardcore fixed back, non-adjustable you would save some weight (not a lot), but the comfort and convenience goes out the window.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #17
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's perfectly ok to want a different seat for any reason. Hey, some people think US$4 is too much for a cup of coffee, but don't ask anyone at Starbuck.

Corbeau makes (relatively) inexpensive after-market seats. Recliners weight about 26lb, a little lighter than OEM stock. Not sure if it is more comfortable than stock, though. And not sure it is available in tan leather.

Cobra also makes recliners, at about 26lb, and it comes in tan leather. But the cost is higher.

Bride makes compact recliners, but I don't have info on weight. Price is even higher.

Don't know if any gives more back seat-room.

Good luck seat hunting.

PS I was thinking about getting after-market seats before, but then I have grown used to the OEM seats. I think they are more comfortable than the optional sport seats on my 2016 Cayman. They actually made the GR86 OEM seats lighter than before. Please sell me yours if you replace them with after-market ones.
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoniyama For This Useful Post:
Lelandjt (03-09-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #18
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
When buying seats, being able to test-fit can be very important. And the more performance-oriented the seat is, the more important it is.
Fortunately the best in-stock seat selection I've ever seen is 15 minutes from me near Park Meadows. Next time you're down the hill, go check out Wine Country Motorsports.
I'm considering doing something like you are. The Sportster CS is at/near the top of my list. If they don't have what you want in stock they may be willing to order it for you. And they are likely more willing to order it if they know there are multiple people that would consider buying it.
It's not cheap to ship seats, so the more you/we can do to lower their financial risk on a custom order the better off everyone is.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:43 AM   #19
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Difficult ingress/egress is one of the big points of racing seats.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 03:21 PM   #20
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
My reasons for wanting new seats are:
Much lighter weight (carbon?)
Thinner back to maximize rear knee/cargo space (carbon?)
Tan leather type material. I was going to have the stock seats reupolstered but decided to go thinner and lighter at the same time. This'll look great with my BRG wrap and bronze wheels.

Considerations are I need tilt, prefer bolsters that aren't radical enough to be annoying getting in & out, and it'd be nice if installation is simple enough I can do it. Not crazy expensive.
Run stock seats

And

Take a big shit

Lose weight yourself

Drive on 1/4 tank of gas or less

Remove spare

Gut interior

All equates to not buying an expensive seat for weight reduction

Weight savings minimal from a seat put money towards paying car off or track time

You have no input to my actual question of what seat why are you here? Don’t tell me what to do with my money! Just buy underglow lights the fad is coming back

Because practical

Last edited by vindiesel; 03-08-2023 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Too spicy
vindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vindiesel For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (03-09-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:45 PM   #21
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Have an expiry date IF used in sanctioned motor sport. If used for a daily then no reason they won’t last as long as any OEM seat e.g. The life of the car..
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #22
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
Run stock seats

And

Take a big shit

Lose weight yourself

Drive on 1/4 tank of gas or less

Remove spare

Gut interior

All equates to not buying an expensive seat for weight reduction

Weight savings minimal from a seat put money towards paying car off or track time

You have no input to my actual question of what seat why are you here? Don’t tell me what to do with my money! Just buy underglow lights the fad is coming back

Because practical
And move the front seats up a click when you need that much more room.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
vindiesel (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:22 AM   #23
Lelandjt

EDIT: My Google-foo improved. Stock seats weight 40lbs-ea. That's light for an oem airbag seat. I bet the carbon looking things that come in BMW M cars weight more.

Can someone measure or closely estimate the thickness of the seat back in the middle of your back? My Mazda 3's are more than 6" thick and there's been many times that a thinner seat back would have made it easier to fit something in the cargo area (usually bikes). A couple inches can make a big difference sometimes.

Last edited by Lelandjt; 03-09-2023 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #24
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post

Lose weight yourself
Lelandjt, I don't know how you stayed away from this one.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:15 AM   #25
Pat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Can someone measure or closely estimate the thickness of the seat back in the middle of your back? My Mazda 3's are more than 6" thick and there's been many times that a thinner seat back would have made it easier to fit something in the cargo area (usually bikes). A couple inches can make a big difference sometimes.
It's difficult to measure that without large calipers, which I don't have. But I just put my hands on the front and back of the driver's seat, trying to estimate the thickness. It's surprisingly thin. I would estimate two to three inches. When I compress the seat back between my hands that distance is probably decreased by about an inch. I don't think you're going to gain much space by going to a different seat unless it's a Tillet or similar.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:28 PM   #26
Lelandjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Lelandjt, I don't know how you stayed away from this one.
I've been a pro bike racer for over 20 years and pretty into the technical side of the sport and making my bikes really light (we call it being a weight weenie). I've heard the "take a dump" and "lose weight" plenty of times, but only on the internet, never in real life. Anyone who meets me sees there's no weight left to lose and when you see a bike with Ti bolts everywhere and carbon parts shaved down you know that person doesn't leave the house without stopping in the bathroom for a final "weight savings". I'm currently riding for Scott and love working with them because they're just as obsessive with making every detail perfect and shaving every last gram. Check out my new ultralight trail bike. How clean does that look?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lelandjt For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #27
Lelandjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
It's difficult to measure that without large calipers, which I don't have. But I just put my hands on the front and back of the driver's seat, trying to estimate the thickness. It's surprisingly thin. I would estimate two to three inches. When I compress the seat back between my hands that distance is probably decreased by about an inch. I don't think you're going to gain much space by going to a different seat unless it's a Tillet or similar.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. That's great news! Depending on the exterior color I settle on I'll either reupolster the stock seats or leave them alone. I'm ordering the car in silver and the two wraps I'm considering are BRG or that Porsche "chalk" color.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #28
Breezer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I also haul a bike, and the modifications I've done to the BRZ are mostly about weight reduction. I removed everything but the side panels from the rear and covered the flooring with thin padding and carpet. You have a dropper seat post, which solves one of the trickiest parts of snaking a bike in through the trunk opening.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote