follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Kettle

Drives: nope
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
An Issue with SpeedElement

In my pursuit to find the best distributor for a number of goals I have for my car, I started checking out some of the more credible distributors and local shops. SpeedElement is one of the local shops that has a garage here in Northern California and I decided to check out their website. Unfortunately what I found on their "Company Policy" page was discouraging.

(Full Disclosure - I have had very limited correspondence with SpeedElement and they have been helpful and generally responsive. I have not made a purchase from them. I am not affiliated with any other distributors and this post is from a completely consumer perspective)

I've included a screenshot of the Company Policy page on the SE website. When I first clicked through to this page I was expecting to see a page which would be full of great reviews and company policies which are used to give the consumer confidence and trust in doing business with SE. Instead, I found the page section titled with "The ways of being a 'successful' customer". Intrigued at that tone of the title, I continued reading. (Cont. below image)

Ignoring the fact that this is clearly not a company policy but is instead a wish list of what their perfect customer is; some of their points are completely justified. Yes, business make mistakes, although successful ones minimize them. Also, customer orders do take time, especially since I imagine distributors like SE are better off with less inventory sitting around. Finally, I would completely agree that the internet is a cesspool of information, and sorting through the opinion for fact is a critical step in making a purchase.

Besides this, I've highlighted some points that definitely put me off from a consumer perspective. For instance, the very first item on their customer wish list tells the world to not be an asshole. When I first read this item, I immediately thought of those paper signs you see at old burger and shake drive ins that read something like "We reserve the right to refuse service". SE as a business is completely within their rights to refuse to transact with anyone who they deem an asshole. Unfortunately, putting this on their website seems adolescent and may be more damaging than it is beneficial.

About the second item, "Price matching", I totally agree that there is definitely a right way and a rude way to go about haggling on price. To SE's credit, they were completely open to exploring the price they could offer when I talked to them about a competing offer. Unfortunately they we're unable to give the best price so I decided to purchase from another supplier. Again, I believe this statement is not completely representative of their intentions.

The third point about Loyalty somewhat ties into the last point about profit. Loyalty is earned by a business. Either by consistently providing a better service or by always having the best price/quality ratio for products they sell. I would argue that there is a symbiotic relationship between SE and their customers. If SE can earn loyal customers through their service and prices, I believe they will be successful in their operations.

I am surprised the SpeedElement would have this kind of page on their website where potential customers might be put-off by the strong attitude of their "Company Policy". In fact I believe their intentions are actually quite the opposite. As I mentioned before, I don't think SE means to come across to the customer this way. I understand the pressures of starting a successful business in the competitive automotive aftermarket but this is not the right way to address this pressure.

Maybe if they switch it out with something like this it might help...

Since they are local, I've still got high hopes that they can provide great service to potential customers like me and I look forward to the chance I can do business with them.
Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kettle For This Useful Post:
smmmurf (05-28-2013), Speed Element (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i dont see any issue here

different companies have different style and "policies"

to me SE's style is very firm and direct. NO BS!

im a local vendor too and iv dealt with @Speed Element in the past. excellent company to work with!

they are even a sponsor to the big events i host here in NorCal
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I see this as a filter -- if you don't want to deal with that, they are big enough to say that they don't want to deal with you.

To be honest, i'm all for @Speed Element 's Policy. Filter's are always good!
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (05-30-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Looks fine to me. In fact I admire what they've done.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (05-30-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Independent business owners are assholes.

If they aren't they won't be business owners for much longer.

I agree the list is in poor taste and prefer your second one, but it's a dog eat dog world, good for them for being upfront. I wouldn't shop there as a first choice.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hmmmm, I was at N1 Concepts in Hayward recently and they have that exact same "how to be a good customer" spiel posted in their office. Maybe it's an industry thing. :|

Was happy with their work though, definitely going back in a few weeks to get some more stuff done.
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I actaully completely agree with the OP.

I'm a sales professional. If I acted like that I wouldn't have any customers. I'm not successful becuase I make my customers conform to me.

I love it when my clients ask my to price match. It gives me a better understanding of what the "market price" is and if my features/advantages/benefits are worth the extra cost. And if they are (like being local in SE case) I'll still get the sale. Good customer serivce and sales skills can defeat any angry customer almost every time. Not a policy that says "we don't deal with assholes."

BUT I also agree it's their business and it's complete their prerogative how they run it, just like me as a consumer/consumer it's my prerogative to give my business to whom I choose.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I agree with you OP - both from a customer or sales rep POV. As a customer, I give respect, loyalty, recommendations, etc. to a shop that treats me well - sounds like Speed Element expects the roles between sales/customer to be reversed. From the other side of the sales - even if I think a customer is an asshole, pushy, whatever, one should never say it out loud. Just say sorry, you can't do the service at that price, or whatever and move on - no need to be unprofessional about it.

EDIT - It is their business and their policy at the end of the day and that's cool - they can run it however they like.
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
it's definitely a rough-and-tumble world out there in the automotive/tuning industry. A lot of these business owners and employees are coming from humble and underprivileged backgrounds, and they are successful or still in business by either of two ways: either they operate in a cutthroat manner, or they operate by the golden rule. Pretty sure most of these shops don't have MBAs or business whizzes running the show so they have figured things out by themselves. A lot of personalities and egos in this business too. People can be very blunt and direct; not saying it's great for the customer but that's the way it can be. Thankfully there are choices out there and you just have to be diligent in doing your research, or go off of others recommendations that you trust. Find the shop that is right for you and your style.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Speed Element

Drives: FR-S, Evo X, IS-F, 335i, STi, LS460
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Speed Element
Thanks guys for the comments and opinions! Our reason for posting this guideline is to provide a sense of humor in the after market automotive industry. We value every customer / car and try to provide the best customer service to each and every one.

In terms of providing price matching we try our best to match or beat any competitor pricing. There are occasions that we might not beat or even match a competitor pricing but again like @BlaineWasHere has said we take it as another way to find out how we can be competitive the next time.
Speed Element is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed Element For This Useful Post:
asia_minor (05-30-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I really feel like this could have been taken up via PM first just to clarify thoughts/feelings on policies posted before publicly calling out a company you've not dealt with in person. Everyone gets a clean slate until proven otherwise through first hand interactions with me, and it's how I would have handled it. Just my 2 cents on this entire thread.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
I really feel like this could have been taken up via PM first just to clarify thoughts/feelings on policies posted before publicly calling out a company you've not dealt with in person.
I disagree, this is public, anybody doing their research can click on it and view it. It'd be another thing if after performing work the shop handed a disgruntled customer this list or have it posted up in the break room or next to the cash register. As it stands this shop (and many others) publicly say this is how they plan to operate, it is open for discussion, I suppose it would have been in better taste to not connect it to a particular shop and just link the list from it's parent site (sourced in the OP's picture) but saying this topic is inappropriate just reeks of appeasing people you shouldn't have to appease.

Edit: looks like the source link doesn't work and "Logan at A-spec products" doesn't have it easily accessible on his site so this may only exist for people who wish to keep it alive without a true "source"
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Chill out. Its funny while true at the same time.Its the internet and car forums. Have you not seen what kind of people are around? Lol. SE is not a bunch a ****s but guys that have been supporting this community from its start and the Subie community for many years. If you don't like it take you business elsewhere instead of trying to put a company on blast that you have not personally dealt with. FWIW like others have said this isnt something they came up with but something that has floating around different private shops for some time.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
I really feel like this could have been taken up via PM first just to clarify thoughts/feelings on policies posted before publicly calling out a company you've not dealt with in person. Everyone gets a clean slate until proven otherwise through first hand interactions with me, and it's how I would have handled it. Just my 2 cents on this entire thread.
I guess I operate differently. Everyone is an idiot until they prove me otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Chill out. Its funny while true at the same time.Its the internet and car forums. Have you not seen what kind of people are around? Lol. SE is not a bunch a ****s but guys that have been supporting this community from its start and the Subie community for many years. If you don't like it take you business elsewhere instead of trying to put a company on blast that you have not personally dealt with. FWIW like others have said this isnt something they came up with but something that has floating around different private shops for some time.
I didn't find it either of those things.

Welcome to the internet, where anything goes!