follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #29
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With ztan's di/pi fix, i have stock AT 700rpm idle. Imo you're wasting 25% more fuel for no reason. Get some headers and plug up the sound tube and you'll hear the exhaust.

You don't need to correct overall trims, you only need to correct AFRs. If you're hitting 12.5-12.0 in OL, don't bother.

Were you running eflex?

Last edited by Wayno; 04-20-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 AM   #30
cawith

Drives: Toyota GT86 6M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is this the di/pi fix you mean? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=21

Don't want to break the warranty just yet, as I've only had the car for a year and driven 16000 km, so I'll wait a couple of years with the header.
I know it would be burning some more fuel, but it just sounds to me like it should have had a few more idle rpm from the factory. When the a/c compressor starts when I'm just about to pull away at a traffic light - right as I'm lifting the clutch a bit and just before I get on the gas - it sometimes gets a little choppy... And I'm not standing around in idle all day, so guess I wouldn't even notice in fuel economy

Looks like AFR stays between 13 and 12 in OL, just reaching 11.48 at the last reading at red line...

Sorry, what is eflex? You mean flex-fuel kit? If that, then no
cawith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #31
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawith View Post
Is this the di/pi fix you mean? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=21

Don't want to break the warranty just yet, as I've only had the car for a year and driven 16000 km, so I'll wait a couple of years with the header.
I know it would be burning some more fuel, but it just sounds to me like it should have had a few more idle rpm from the factory. When the a/c compressor starts when I'm just about to pull away at a traffic light - right as I'm lifting the clutch a bit and just before I get on the gas - it sometimes gets a little choppy... And I'm not standing around in idle all day, so guess I wouldn't even notice in fuel economy

Looks like AFR stays between 13 and 12 in OL, just reaching 11.48 at the last reading at red line...

Sorry, what is eflex? You mean flex-fuel kit? If that, then no
The idle is heaps smoother when your running on di only, bumping up the idle was a quick fix.

Running on di helps with takeoff as well less jerky as does scaling maf and getting your afr correct and fuel trims low.

We are running E85 that guaranteed 85%.

you need all the changes to achieve the better economy not just the idle fixs
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #32
cawith

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The idle is heaps smoother when your running on di only, bumping up the idle was a quick fix.

Running on di helps with takeoff as well less jerky as does scaling maf and getting your afr correct and fuel trims low.

We are running E85 that guaranteed 85%.

you need all the changes to achieve the better economy not just the idle fixs
Okay, I'll try the di/pi fix. But it's not like idle isn't smooth when nothing intervenes. I just don't like the ticking sound from the engine when at idle rpm. Therefor I thought about increasing the idle rpm to 800-900 rpm, so that I would hear a little more exhaust note. And my thought was that at the same this would maybe remove the rpm drop that occurs when the a/c compressor kicks in.
Will the di/pi fix remove this?

I am planning on copying all the recommended tables and not only the required ones. Will the di/pi fix have a negative impact on fuel economy?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #33
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I'll try the di/pi fix. But it's not like idle isn't smooth when nothing intervenes. I just don't like the ticking sound from the engine when at idle rpm. Therefor I thought about increasing the idle rpm to 800-900 rpm, so that I would hear a little more exhaust note. And my thought was that at the same this would maybe remove the rpm drop that occurs when the a/c compressor kicks in.
Will the di/pi fix remove this?

I am planning on copying all the recommended tables and not only the required ones. Will the di/pi fix have a negative impact on fuel economy?
Our main aim here is to get better fuel economy on E85
so we have leaned out lower load low rpm area of the maps ie OL and CL fuel tables below 0.8 load and 3000 rpm
the running full DI at rearly low loads ie below 0.2 man or 0.3 auto smooths idle and the transition off idle hopefully allowing you to drop idle from 750 to 700 or even back to 650 (stock idle on manual).

this and a couple of other tweaks has resulted in city economy of about 9l/100km as opposed to 12-13 on original tune.

ticking sound is likely injectors firing, chirpy sound is likely high pressure fuel pump, both sounds are "normal" on this car, unless you have spun a bearing :-)

It been cold here like below 25C (well thats cold for us) so not been running A/C since i tweaked the di/pi ratios, but it may help the dip when a/c kicks in .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
cawith (04-22-2015), Wayno (04-21-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #34
cawith

I've applied the changes now, but it's still in the trim learning phase.
It already feels much smoother and looks like there is no impact on the rpm when a/c kicks in
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #35
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
So you just zeroed the 0,2g/rev column in the three Total Injection Ratio Port tables?
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #36
cawith

Yes, it was actually already applied in Wayno's tune, so I just copied it over.

I did a 20 minute log on my way to work today. It was mostly city driving with 3 minutes on the highway. Could you please have a look at it, because I see some fairly high fuel trims at low rpm and load - also STFT counters LTFT by quite much a times. IAM stays at 1 and no knock according to FLKC and FBKC. When I get on the gas, the trims stay within +- 3%.
http://datazap.me/u/cawith/city-driv...ata=1-7-8-9-11

The high correction at idle rpm og kick in, is that due to more or less ethanol than 85%?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #37
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
With ztan's di/pi fix, i have stock AT 700rpm idle. Imo you're wasting 25% more fuel for no reason. Get some headers and plug up the sound tube and you'll hear the exhaust.

You don't need to correct overall trims, you only need to correct AFRs. If you're hitting 12.5-12.0 in OL, don't bother.

Were you running eflex?
Could you include the RomRaider definition file in your zip file so I could open your rom in RomRaider? I'd rather copy and paste tables than change each and every cell one at a time.

I would also like to praise your good work, and add to it by including a cold start fix and some AVCS tuning for better volumetric efficiency at low rpm's and better power at higher rpm's.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #38
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
No
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #39
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Yes, it was actually already applied in Wayno's tune, so I just copied it over.

I did a 20 minute log on my way to work today. It was mostly city driving with 3 minutes on the highway. Could you please have a look at it, because I see some fairly high fuel trims at low rpm and load - also STFT counters LTFT by quite much a times. IAM stays at 1 and no knock according to FLKC and FBKC. When I get on the gas, the trims stay within +- 3%.
http://datazap.me/u/cawith/city-driv...ata=1-7-8-9-11

The high correction at idle rpm og kick in, is that due to more or less ethanol than 85%?
Yes high trims can be due to E% changes and maf scaling and large intake air temperature fluctuations.

you can manually tweak the idle area by lokking at the maf volts values at idle, then look at your average fuel trim if its 6% positive then add say 4% to the values either side and 6% to the idle flow value. if it was negitive then subtract.

6% at idle is not to bad, it will vary due to intake air temp variations which can be large when sitting in traffic.

to get it better you would have to do your own maf scaling on your average ethanol content.

Last edited by steve99; 04-22-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #40
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Got it. I was looking for RR_ZA1JA01l, not RR_ZA1JA01I.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 AM   #41
cawith

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes high trims can be due to E% changes and maf scaling and large intake air temperature fluctuations.

you can manually tweak the idle area by lokking at the maf volts values at idle, then look at your average fuel trim if its 6% positive then add say 4% to the values either side and 6% to the idle flow value. if it was negitive then subtract.

6% at idle is not to bad, it will vary due to intake air temp variations which can be large when sitting in traffic.

to get it better you would have to do your own maf scaling on your average ethanol content.
Okay, well, I also think that the initial learning process wasn't completed. On my way home it stayed closer to +3% LTFT, but still STFT fluctuated a lot to the positive side just for 2 or 3 updates when I was taking off from a light at low rpm. Thereafter it went back to staying at around +-3% again.

When you say add around 4% to the values either side, do you then mean the 2 Base Timing idle (in-gear) tables? And also which table for the idle flow?

Thanks again to Wayno for this awesome improvement!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #42
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Okay, well, I also think that the initial learning process wasn't completed. On my way home it stayed closer to +3% LTFT, but still STFT fluctuated a lot to the positive side just for 2 or 3 updates when I was taking off from a light at low rpm. Thereafter it went back to staying at around +-3% again.

When you say add around 4% to the values either side, do you then mean the 2 Base Timing idle (in-gear) tables? And also which table for the idle flow?

Thanks again to Wayno for this awesome improvement!
stft will vary widly with throttle load ect this is normal, pretty well ignore it just look at ltft if it less than 5% thats great on e85 tune.

the table i was talking about was maf scale table, have a read of the maf scaling link below.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
cawith (04-23-2015)