follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trunk repair help

Backed into a pole a couple days ago and am hoping to avoid putting in an insurance claim. I was thinking I could just order bumper and trunk lid, have them painted, and put them on myself. It looks like the actual interior of the trunk got bent though and I can't tell what part it is, how big it is, or how much trouble it is to replace.

Can anyone tell me the part name/number for the bent piece shown in the pics? I wonder if I replace the trunk, will I be able to close it? It closes now with some force, but I'm worried it's only because both parts were bent from the impact so they still match up.

I did see a part that matches the shape exactly, but it was listed as "weather stripping", so I'm thinking it's probably just the rubber covering and not the actual frame that I need.

Any help/advice is appreciated.. I'd much prefer to make this a relatively cheap (~1k) DIY than claim it or take it to a body shop.
Attached Images

MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,796 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
If you bent the back pan your gona need a bodyshop to fix that. It was over a 4k fix for a bumper and trunk for me when I was lightly hit
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
If you bent the back pan your gona need a bodyshop to fix that. It was over a 4k fix for a bumper and trunk for me when I was lightly hit
Maybe I could replace the bumper and trunk lid and then just deal with a slightly warped trunk pan? I don't think it'd even be visible while the trunk is closed.

Of course, this is assuming I'm able to close the new trunk lid with it like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM7 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,353 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the deck lid wont latch properly, or seal properly if the rear body panel is not pulled and straightened
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,796 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
^that
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just claim lt. Not gona ding you that bad in insurance
Unless you have a thousand dollar deductible.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Just claim lt. Not gona ding you that bad in insurance
Unless you have a thousand dollar deductible.
I hear you get dropped and considered high risk if you have 3 at fault claims within 5 years, and unfortunately that is the case here. I went like a decade without an accident, then had two in one week. This would be my third, which is why I think it's best to keep it under the rug.

I got an online quote from a highly reviewed place nearby, I can handle it comfortably, however it seems they neglected to quote the major repair. I'll attach the quote.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
MikeM7

Here is part of the email along with what they believe to be the additional damaged parts.

"Thank you for requesting an online estimate, I have prepared the attached estimate from the photos you have provided. Once the vehicle is in the shop a secondary more invasive assessment will be conducted to account for all the damage to the vehicle that may be currently hidden. That being said I am concerned about what is not visible mainly the Rear Body Panel and the Trunk Floor. I have attached diagrams of these panels and replacing them will alter the final repair number. Actually in these cases it is 80% of the damages that are visible with another 20% that will be discovered in a more thorough inspection of the vehicle."
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
pLaydEad86

Drives: Scion FRS Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Backed into a pole a couple days ago and am hoping to avoid putting in an insurance claim. I was thinking I could just order bumper and trunk lid, have them painted, and put them on myself. It looks like the actual interior of the trunk got bent though and I can't tell what part it is, how big it is, or how much trouble it is to replace.

Can anyone tell me the part name/number for the bent piece shown in the pics? I wonder if I replace the trunk, will I be able to close it? It closes now with some force, but I'm worried it's only because both parts were bent from the impact so they still match up.

I did see a part that matches the shape exactly, but it was listed as "weather stripping", so I'm thinking it's probably just the rubber covering and not the actual frame that I need.

Any help/advice is appreciated.. I'd much prefer to make this a relatively cheap (~1k) DIY than claim it or take it to a body shop.
You have to get it to a professional man. If you're gonna replace the trunk lid and bumper it will have to be painted. They will need to blend the paint to the adjacent panels. Your color is hard to match too so. Or you can go with your plan if your not keeping the car and selling it but mind that off match panels are a no-no to a possible buyer.
pLaydEad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #10
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,227 Times in 797 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
bodykit time!

There was a trunk for sale earlier in the year in member classifieds.