follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #29
ripper

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downshiftxlr8 View Post
Excellent !!! That track looks like tons of fun.
It was a big track with long straights where I managed to hit as high as 105 a few times. Took a few fun laps in a GT3 and got up to 135 on those same straights. Definitely tailored for cars with a bit more hp and grip. Below is the configuration we ran in a ccw flow.
Attached Images

Last edited by ripper; 11-17-2021 at 01:05 PM.
ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #30
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
Track day went flawless. Car felt great and yeah, the tires were a bit overkill, but a great crutch to help me get back into it without putting her in the dirt. Thanks to everyone for the inputs, advice, and help. We'll see where this goes......
If you ever get to go again please take me with you but in all fairness glad it went flawless. Just get some more camber.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
ripper (11-21-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #31
ripper

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Streets of Willow - 2 Dec '21

Took her out again to Streets of Willow last week with a private group of damn good drivers. We ran the track clockwise from 8am to 5pm and I logged about 120 miles for the day. The only issue I had was a P0352 Ignition Coil B code that came on and then went out mid day; other than that the car ran flawless again, and had a much better time on a smaller track. Sat right seat with the fastest of the crew who was running 1:24s in a manual GT4. After seeing a better example of how to drive the track I got back in the BRZ and logged my best laps of the day.

Funny, two times now I show up to a track event with the least expensive car by a long shot and everyone wants to talk about the BRZ. Lots of love out there from car enthusiast for the BRZ, and I was once again reminded why I've enjoyed this car so much for the past eight years.

Take away notes:
1. Last track day I ran with Track Mode selected and saw a lot of the flashing light on the instrument panel letting me know I had not turned very well. This time I ran in normal mode and the car seemed to feel a lot better and I rarely saw any flashing light or had any traction control shudder.

2. At fast speeds when I come off the gas right prior to breaking on the two long straights of the track I did feel a light shudder from what felt like the traction control, but I don't know why. Maybe the car got light for a second and freaked the computer out.

3. The car doesn't like hard braking with any kind of turn in. I can stomp it going straight but if there's even a little degree of turn in I get a brake shudder from the ABS.

4. The Yokohama Advan A052s are MAGIC! The car felt so intuitive and responsive all day. Second track day on these tires and they have at least two more on them.
Attached Images

ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #32
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Take away notes:
1. Last track day I ran with Track Mode selected and saw a lot of the flashing light on the instrument panel letting me know I had not turned very well. This time I ran in normal mode and the car seemed to feel a lot better and I rarely saw any flashing light or had any traction control shudder.
If TC and stability control aren't *heavily* interfering, you aren't driving nearly hard enough!

Do the long-hold on the TC off button to disable TC and stability control, then have some fun and go faster
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
ROADRACER (01-13-2022), yberther (03-16-2023)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #33
ROADRACER

Drives: unlimited cheap build N/A track car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
No oil cooler based off the recommendations from this forum. If this becomes a regular thing then maybe I'll take a look at opening pandora's box of track mods.
I think that is a sound decision. I have seen more engines destroyed from oil cooler hoses failing than from high oil temperatures.
I would see temps of up to 260 on hot days. A little high so i installed the forester pancake cooler that fits under the oil filter. That and a 170 deg thermostat keeps my oil temps at 240. I do have a big radiator and once the thermostat is fully open at 180, my water temp never goes past that temp.
ROADRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROADRACER For This Useful Post:
ripper (01-22-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #34
ROADRACER

Drives: unlimited cheap build N/A track car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Camber bolts ordered. Thanks for that!

Do I need that much grip? More is better in my book, but you're right; I don't know if my stock oil and fuel system can handle the A052's grip. I'll be taking it easy for sure on this first time out and see how it goes.

Late note add if it makes any difference, I'm running my car on an e85 OFT tune. I'm bringing a few extra fuel cans with e85 as it's a bit rare between my house and the 180 trip to the track.

Thanks for inputs, keep them coming. Just three days left before I head out!
Your oil and fuel system will be fine. Be SURE to fill oil to atleast the top mark on the dipstick, I fill about 1/4 above the line and maintain pressure with hard cornering and track tires. I installed a oil pressure guage to be sure, so im not just acting like I now shit when I don't, not that you would ever run into that problem here.lol.
Its possible you could get fuel starvation depending on the track, but I only have that problem on one track and one corner. You may need to top off you tank every session, or not depending on specific turns (long high G lefts)
Camber, It is very important for best grip and tire wear. Bolts are aa quick helper on the front. Anything around 3 degree negative will be a good starting point for track only.
Good luck, have fun.
ROADRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROADRACER For This Useful Post:
ripper (01-22-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #35
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
If TC and stability control aren't *heavily* interfering, you aren't driving nearly hard enough!

Do the long-hold on the TC off button to disable TC and stability control, then have some fun and go faster
Haha a couple track days ago I'm out there and the car was a mess. I'd forgotten to turn the Nannies off.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-14-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 08:30 PM   #36
evanescent03

Drives: 22 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Haha a couple track days ago I'm out there and the car was a mess. I'd forgotten to turn the Nannies off.
yeah - when i notice my brakes are getting soft unexpectedly that's usually my reason too!

i run them the first session of the morning or at a new track to help show me where i may have issues but quickly turn it all off
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:32 PM   #37
evanescent03

Drives: 22 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
good stuff, OP. I have a GR86 i just got today and have been trying to figure out how to set it up. seems like i can look at a lot of what worked well for the Gen 1 crowd for advice. glad you had fun and got some nods from the more "exotic" crowd!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote