follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #29
turbofan
949Racing Support

Drives: 1999 Mazda Miata Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yep, exactly as Emilio says. Most of our cars have either a similar style spacer with OE wheels, or aftermarket wheels with quick release hubs which effectively do the same thing. I've been reaching for turn signals in my Miata for years now and I'm just used to it. That being said, the reach isn't bad to me and I quickly became accustomed to it.

If you're benefitting from the wheel further out, well worth a slight reach to the stalks.
EMAIL US at info@949racing.com
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbofan For This Useful Post:
churchx (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #30
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That benefit was needed for me too , especially when wearing helmet, which required lean further from steering wheel back of seat to gain extra head clearance on relatively high stock seats. Hitting steering wheel with legs when heal&toe-ing was not fun either
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
korhun (01-06-2020), norcalpb (07-06-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #31
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
want. WANT.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #32
snoxracer183

Drives: 2014 FR-S SSC
Whens the first sale? I want that but not for the current price!
ka-t_240 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #33
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoxracer183 View Post
We generally don't have sales. In our 15 year history I think we have had maybe two and they were for free shipping around Black Friday or something. Additionally we are selling the spacers at quite a fast rate so realistically, we don't have a lot of incentive to reduce the price. Sorry.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #34
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
I had not even looked at the link until this comment, looks like I'll just wait until I add an aftermarket steering wheel combo at this point.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #35
snoxracer183

Drives: 2014 FR-S SSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
We generally don't have sales. In our 15 year history I think we have had maybe two and they were for free shipping around Black Friday or something. Additionally we are selling the spacers at quite a fast rate so realistically, we don't have a lot of incentive to reduce the price. Sorry.
Fair enough. I just wont be buying one. There are a lot of people that have a lot more money than I do, so not surprised
extrashaky (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Fair enough. I just wont be buying one. There are a lot of people that have a lot more money than I do, so not surprised
This is probably why they refuse to discuss expected price ranges for products in development, the fear that if people actually know what they're planning to charge, too many people will lose interest and stop following their development thread.

It's an old, well-established tactic for door-to-door vacuum cleaner or encyclopedia salesmen. The longer the salesman can keep the mark engaged, the more time and enthusiasm she has invested. The more time and emotional investment she makes, the less likely she is to say no when the final price is revealed.

The salesman wants her thinking only about how much she wants it first. Then, when finally faced with the reality that she might have just wasted all that time and gotten interested for no reason, confirmation bias jumps in and convinces her that it wasn't a waste after all because the product is actually worth it. She'll reinforce her confidence in her decision by telling other people about the product and even bragging about how much it cost.

She might even turn into a total sycophant and attack anybody who says anything negative about the product.

extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #37
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
This is warming apply to ALL.

I don’t care discussing product, cuz that’s what technical section of the forum should be... Now, with that said, making pointless feed to jab or start a jab at each other to argue, I’ll temp ban (minimum of 1 month to maximum of 6 months) anyone and everyone.

Warning is made and set. From this post on, I won’t have mercy nor care to give any mercy.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #38
turbofan
949Racing Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
This is probably why they refuse to discuss expected price ranges for products in development, the fear that if people actually know what they're planning to charge, too many people will lose interest and stop following their development thread.

It's an old, well-established tactic for door-to-door vacuum cleaner or encyclopedia salesmen. The longer the salesman can keep the mark engaged, the more time and enthusiasm she has invested. The more time and emotional investment she makes, the less likely she is to say no when the final price is revealed.
Pretty low blow to compare us to door-to-door vacuum salespeople.

When you don't have everything finalized for a product, it's unwise to even ballpark at pricing beyond what we've said - we will be market competitive. The right way to do it is wait til the product is ready to be announced with all final specs and options, then announce availability date and pricing at the same time. Look at all major product releases - cars, iPhones, etc - you might get snippets of information, but pricing comes virtually at the point they're available for purchase, because that's when it's finalized. It's not sneaky, it's good business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbofan For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (07-03-2019), new2subaru (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #39
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Pretty low blow to compare us to door-to-door vacuum salespeople.

When you don't have everything finalized for a product, it's unwise to even ballpark at pricing beyond what we've said - we will be market competitive. The right way to do it is wait til the product is ready to be announced with all final specs and options, then announce availability date and pricing at the same time. Look at all major product releases - cars, iPhones, etc - you might get snippets of information, but pricing comes virtually at the point they're available for purchase, because that's when it's finalized. It's not sneaky, it's good business.
and their product was truly not worth it then why did it get sold out within the first 48 hours?

I have a question but this might be knowledge not privy between buyers.

who bought these spacers? Budding enthusiasts? people who want more leg room, even for daily cruises? Guys who track/compete with their vehicles?

No doubt if you are saying " I like it but for not that price"
You aren't trying to win races, push records, or giving everything you have for the sport and the thrill. The car is a convenience for you. And as I am not a shop owner nor offer products, I can be so arrogant to say, your opinion doesn't matter because you are not 949s target audience.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (07-03-2019), korhun (01-07-2020)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #40
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
and their product was truly not worth it then why did it get sold out within the first 48 hours?
To be clear, I didn't say the product wasn't worth it. On the contrary, I ordered one. I may end up being their biggest cheerleader.

Quote:

who bought these spacers? Budding enthusiasts? people who want more leg room, even for daily cruises? Guys who track/compete with their vehicles?
None of the above for me.

I ordered it because I travel 20K to 30K miles per year in my BRZ and am willing to spend money on making it more comfortable for me during those long drives. Even with an ATC wheel that is 20mm deeper than stock, I find the steering wheel to be ever so slightly beyond comfortable reach of either hand when I sit in a relaxed position with my elbow on the center armrest or the door. I have long had my eye open for a solution that would eliminate that very minor inconvenience and still retain the airbag.

If it does that without causing new annoyances, it will probably be worth the price.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #41
turbofan
949Racing Support

Quote:

The short answer, and this is a guess on our part since we don't know the purchasers personally, is that this first run went to tall folks who are tired of reaching for the wheel and/or hitting their knees.

The reason we developed this product is because the owner of 949Racing is very tall (second photo in this thread). Three of us here at 949Racing are driving instructors, and one of the first things we correct before ever getting on track is to move closer to the wheel. Track day driving position is not the same as street driving position - you need to be closer.

Look at any purpose-built racecar. The steering wheel is usually between crotch and mid-thigh, sometimes even closer. On production cars, for tall people the steering wheel is between the knee and lower thigh, or even at the knee - much too far away to precisely control steering movements.

Particularly for Japanese cars, even some medium size drivers are too close to the pedals by the time they get within the proper distance of the steering wheel. I'm 5'7" and even with the spacer, I have the wheel telescoped almost all the way out to get to the correct driving position.

While it's mostly tall guys that make this mod at first, we expect to see many average-height drivers make this change to improve track- or autocross-driving ergonomics. Some real serious folks will swap in an aftermarket wheel with a quick release that accomplishes the same thing, but if you are retaining the stock wheel this is the way to go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turbofan For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (07-03-2019), extrashaky (07-03-2019), korhun (01-07-2020), new2subaru (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #42
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That's precisely why I wanted and like it. The twin platform is the biggest small car I can safely get to a race track with and with your parts and other driver interface modifications I can make the car fit around me.

And retain the air bag.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
949, spacer, steering