follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #701
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kpower released their Flex Fuel kit.

https://kpower.industries/collection...eid=202016e3bd

Jdmjunkie (01-13-2022), venenon (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #702
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I was surprised to see no bracket to mount the sensor. Price isn't too bad though as a mostly plug and play solution.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #703
Irace86.2.0

I still need to make my flex fuel harness. The wife wants to hang, so I might not get to it.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #704
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I still need to make my flex fuel harness. The wife wants to hang, so I might not get to it.

If you have all the stuff in place and the tools to crimp it only takes a few minutes. I think I spent more time making sure I pinned everything where it's supposed go than actually doing the work. I still haven't configured mine in the Haltech and tested though. Been tinkering on other stuff to take a break from K swap related activities.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:08 PM   #705
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
If you have all the stuff in place and the tools to crimp it only takes a few minutes. I think I spent more time making sure I pinned everything where it's supposed go than actually doing the work. I still haven't configured mine in the Haltech and tested though. Been tinkering on other stuff to take a break from K swap related activities.
Yeah, I need to still figure out if I can use the same power and ground wires for the FF to run my EBC too. I’m also trying to figure out which type of terminal pin is used on the ECU harness, so I can wire in a DPO for the EBC.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #706
Irace86.2.0

I went to drain the fuel tank, and I had an interesting thing come up. I had a line attached to the feed line in the engine bay going to a 5 gallon jug. I couldn't remember how much was in the tank, but I was thinking I needed two jugs, expecting around 3/4 tank, but in the end, I only got 4-5 gallons before the line went dry. I took the old ethanol to the hazard waste disposal, and I picked up 10 gallons of gas in two jugs. The gas tank can hold more than ten gallons (13.2 gals?), and I figured it was bone dry, but in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was more in there. Well, I filled up the tank up to the spout, and I still had maybe a gallon or less in the jug (9-9.5 gallons used), which suggests there was maybe around 3.5-4 gallons left in the tank.

I was thinking how is this possible, and then I remembered how the fuel gauge was indicating 1/4 tank for people who ran empty, which is 3.3 gallons. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it got me wondering if people had really really run out of gas. For those that did, when you refueled, did you put in 13.3 gallons of gas or close to it? If not then is it possible the gauge is accurate, and there is a separate issue, which is that maybe there is a crossover pump that is not working or something?

The fuel level sensor seems to be on the passenger side, so if the driver's side is empty where the fuel pump is located then the fuel will read whatever it has, which may be about a quarter tank. The one problem with this theory is that the fuel level at 1/4 tank, but just measured on one side, is only 1/8 tank for the whole tank, yet that doesn't jive with the amount of fuel I put in the tank.

Anyways, there is a fuel sending unit on the passenger side of the tank, but there doesn't seem to be a separate pump or anything to get fuel from one side to the other. There is just looks to be a line that goes from one side to the other.

For the record, I only hooked up the battery, and the pump ran with all the accessories turning on in the cabin, yet I haven't done anything with the Haltech software yet, so I don't know if this is a temporary issue or non-issue that will be resolved, but it seems like this is connected to what others are experiencing. Is there any possibility that the two sides of the tank aren't connected because there is some electronic controller that isn't working?

Jdmjunkie (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #707
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I found this high rise header from Touge Factory. I am considering seeing if this will fit the Kpower swap. What do you guys think?
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #708
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I went to drain the fuel tank, and I had an interesting thing come up. I had a line attached to the feed line in the engine bay going to a 5 gallon jug. I couldn't remember how much was in the tank, but I was thinking I needed two jugs, expecting around 3/4 tank, but in the end, I only got 4-5 gallons before the line went dry. I took the old ethanol to the hazard waste disposal, and I picked up 10 gallons of gas in two jugs. The gas tank can hold more than ten gallons (13.2 gals?), and I figured it was bone dry, but in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was more in there. Well, I filled up the tank up to the spout, and I still had maybe a gallon or less in the jug (9-9.5 gallons used), which suggests there was maybe around 3.5-4 gallons left in the tank.

I was thinking how is this possible, and then I remembered how the fuel gauge was indicating 1/4 tank for people who ran empty, which is 3.3 gallons. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it got me wondering if people had really really run out of gas. For those that did, when you refueled, did you put in 13.3 gallons of gas or close to it? If not then is it possible the gauge is accurate, and there is a separate issue, which is that maybe there is a crossover pump that is not working or something?

The fuel level sensor seems to be on the passenger side, so if the driver's side is empty where the fuel pump is located then the fuel will read whatever it has, which may be about a quarter tank. The one problem with this theory is that the fuel level at 1/4 tank, but just measured on one side, is only 1/8 tank for the whole tank, yet that doesn't jive with the amount of fuel I put in the tank.

Anyways, there is a fuel sending unit on the passenger side of the tank, but there doesn't seem to be a separate pump or anything to get fuel from one side to the other. There is just looks to be a line that goes from one side to the other.

For the record, I only hooked up the battery, and the pump ran with all the accessories turning on in the cabin, yet I haven't done anything with the Haltech software yet, so I don't know if this is a temporary issue or non-issue that will be resolved, but it seems like this is connected to what others are experiencing. Is there any possibility that the two sides of the tank aren't connected because there is some electronic controller that isn't working?

I recently pumped my tank using the fuel pump. (Needed to get an almost full tank of E85 out to run 91). I think there are two level senders and if one is high and the other is low the gauge reads oddly. Mine basically never read <2/3 tank, but I couldn't pump anything else out of it (pump was audibly cavitating). I ended up putting ~11gal of 91 into the tank and it was just before full.
The transfer siphon only works if there is return flow running through it and that only happens if you have return fuel from the FPR. Since you have no pressure on the line to a fuel jug, you end up pumping out only one side of the tank and the siphon never pumps fuel from the other side. I had to hook up the lines normally multiple times and run the pump for while to get fuel pumped from the other side of the tank. The solution for left hand turn fuel starve is adding an electric pump to make sure fuel gets transferred to where the pressure pump is.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cactus For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #709
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I recently pumped my tank using the fuel pump. (Needed to get an almost full tank of E85 out to run 91). I think there are two level senders and if one is high and the other is low the gauge reads oddly. Mine basically never read <2/3 tank, but I couldn't pump anything else out of it (pump was audibly cavitating). I ended up putting ~11gal of 91 into the tank and it was just before full.
The transfer siphon only works if there is return flow running through it and that only happens if you have return fuel from the FPR. Since you have no pressure on the line to a fuel jug, you end up pumping out only one side of the tank and the siphon never pumps fuel from the other side. I had to hook up the lines normally multiple times and run the pump for while to get fuel pumped from the other side of the tank. The solution for left hand turn fuel starve is adding an electric pump to make sure fuel gets transferred to where the pressure pump is.
So essentially you are saying these are separate issues? I wonder if I had simply bent the hose to create pressure, I wonder if that would have created enough of an effect to siphon the passenger side? Perhaps not if the fuel level was empty on the pump side.

Has anyone tried to run the tank dry and see if they can fill up all the way, 12+ gallons?
Old 01-14-2022, 01:27 AM   #710
Irace86.2.0

I was looking at the connector for a DPO spot I could use for the boost controller. The wiring diagram doesn’t have all the spots labeled, unless I am reading it wrong.

Looking into the connector, I believe the top right is number 1, so it looks like position 7, 8, 12, 18, 27, 28, 29 and 30 are unused. Most of those numbers are not on the connector. I’m assuming they get used on the Elite 2500 if it uses the same connector.

Anyways, it appears that 18 is the only DPO spot. Anyone see anything mistaken before I order the appropriate female AMP Superseal 3-1447221-4 pin?
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2022, 02:24 AM   #711
Ebush

Drives: 2017 Hot Lava 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

When I ran out my friend brought me a 2 gallon gas can, I used all of that. Drove two miles to a gas station and the car took 11.8 gallons.

Sent an email to kpower today and said they are waiting on Haltech to get back to them with a solution.
Ebush is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebush For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #712
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
I was looking at the connector for a DPO spot I could use for the boost controller. The wiring diagram doesn’t have all the spots labeled, unless I am reading it wrong.

Looking into the connector, I believe the top right is number 1, so it looks like position 7, 8, 12, 18, 27, 28, 29 and 30 are unused. Most of those numbers are not on the connector. I’m assuming they get used on the Elite 2500 if it uses the same connector.

Anyways, it appears that 18 is the only DPO spot. Anyone see anything mistaken before I order the appropriate female AMP Superseal 3-1447221-4 pin?

That sounds about right but I'm not near my notes until this evening. I think it pulls up as DPO1 in the Haltech dropdown but it's been a minute since I've looked.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #713
hedtrip

Drives: 2013 toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So did anyone find a Fix for the dip stick hitting the baffle? Diff stick? trim it? drill a hole in the baffle?
hedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #714
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedtrip View Post
So did anyone find a Fix for the dip stick hitting the baffle? Diff stick? trim it? drill a hole in the baffle?
My fix has been to just wiggle it just right and it will push through and seat. After doing it a couple times it's easy to find the sweet spot. If I would have checked sooner I would have drilled a hole before installing the pan.