follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #85
Midnightsky
Senior Member
 
Midnightsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Location: Alberta
Posts: 348
Thanks: 328
Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Randomly stumbled upon this. Comments suggest cause it not found yet.

That's over on the GR86 forum in the Subaru section. The Subaru engineers have already been called into action on this one. They are throwing everything at it to resolve the issue.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 PM   #86
AMS_Josh
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Drives: 22í BRZ
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Anyone gets a sloppy gear when in turn? I am having trouble changing from 3rd to 2nd during quick turns.. Did not have this problem on gen1. If someone in the area that has a gen2 can compare, I would appreciate. It may be a characteristic that I need to get used to, or find a solution.

Very used to MT, just had 1 AT vehicle in my life. Ran a bunch of vehicle testing, including semisÖ
I think we are having the same issue. Does it feel super notchy and almost feel like it wonít go into gear? Iíve had this issue when doing a 1-2 shift, while taking a turn
AMS_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AMS_Josh For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #87
Rossman
Senior Member
 
Rossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Location: Backwoods Ontario
Posts: 366
Thanks: 44
Thanked 122 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The CarPlay issue is kind of interesting (and annoying).


When I bought the car a month or so ago I had only a crappy old iphone 6 (yeah, still works!), and CarPlay was rock solid (if a bit slow).


I bought a new iphone se a couple days ago and, using the exact same cable (a new lightning->usb cable), CarPlay now randomly craps out (but it recovers on it's own). It's really annoying. No software update available for my head unit either.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossman For This Useful Post:
dsc_pat (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #88
Rossman
Senior Member
 
Rossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Location: Backwoods Ontario
Posts: 366
Thanks: 44
Thanked 122 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.


For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.


Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #89
SpectreRT
Senior Member
 
SpectreRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: usa
Posts: 756
Thanks: 163
Thanked 316 Times in 209 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.


For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.


Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga
Android here, and not a waze user. I've not had a connection issue to date. So they may be onto something...?

Good luck with getting it figured out.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #90
Stonehorsw
Senior Member
 
Stonehorsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Location: Michigan
Posts: 517
Thanks: 819
Thanked 338 Times in 200 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS_Josh View Post
I think we are having the same issue. Does it feel super notchy and almost feel like it wonít go into gear? Iíve had this issue when doing a 1-2 shift, while taking a turn
Yes, similar issue. Good to know that, I may take to dealership, but before I wanna make sure I can reproduce the issue consistently.

I will verify either if turning left or right makes difference, and G level. Any other suggestion?

Are you planning on taking yours too?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #91
PhatFreshPrince
Senior Member
 
PhatFreshPrince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Location: Georgia
Posts: 183
Thanks: 109
Thanked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.


For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.


Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga

I am seeing disconnect issues with CarPlay. I have an iPhone and do NOT have the Waze app installed.
The most common issue I am seeing is it will connect to CarPlay for 1 second and then disconnect for 1 second and then reconnect and get in a bad loop.
Today is was connected to CarPlay for about 20 minutes on the way to work and the just disconnect and did NOT reconnect.
I think the head unit needs a software update. Mine is at version F41CMM101-880.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
Rossman (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #92
Rossman
Senior Member
 
Rossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Location: Backwoods Ontario
Posts: 366
Thanks: 44
Thanked 122 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFreshPrince View Post
I am seeing disconnect issues with CarPlay. I have an iPhone and do NOT have the Waze app installed.
The most common issue I am seeing is it will connect to CarPlay for 1 second and then disconnect for 1 second and then reconnect and get in a bad loop.
Today is was connected to CarPlay for about 20 minutes on the way to work and the just disconnect and did NOT reconnect.
I think the head unit needs a software update. Mine is at version F41CMM101-880.



Thanks for posting your experience! Initially I had a lot of trouble pairing my new iphone to the car but now that part works great, it just drops out periodically for like 30-60seconds, then recovers
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #93
groovymoonbear
Member
 
groovymoonbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: ‘22 CWP BRZ LTD 6MT
Location: CO
Posts: 81
Thanks: 61
Thanked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Thanks for posting your experience! Initially I had a lot of trouble pairing my new iphone to the car but now that part works great, it just drops out periodically for like 30-60seconds, then recovers
I have the same issues with CarPlay - I work for Apple and unfortunately this is one of the symptoms of a bunch of different companies having different head units and them being designed to work with ALL iPhones.

Silver lining is that for a Subaru, 30-60 seconds of it cutting out every now and then is better than my Forester which would randomly disconnect and would not reconnect unless you turned the vehicle on / off.

If youíre noticing the CarPlay issue happening more often, it could be a runtime issue with your iPhone so Iíd recommend trying to turn it off for about a minute then power it back on - this resets the cache of the devices firmware. Maybe turn it on / off once a day while brushing your teeth and I havenít had it drop out within the last week - not a guarantee but has worked for me.
groovymoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to groovymoonbear For This Useful Post:
Rossman (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #94
Rossman
Senior Member
 
Rossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Location: Backwoods Ontario
Posts: 366
Thanks: 44
Thanked 122 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovymoonbear View Post
If youíre noticing the CarPlay issue happening more often, it could be a runtime issue with your iPhone so Iíd recommend trying to turn it off for about a minute then power it back on - this resets the cache of the devices firmware. Maybe turn it on / off once a day while brushing your teeth and I havenít had it drop out within the last week - not a guarantee but has worked for me.

That's great information, thank you. I will keep this in mind.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #95
groovymoonbear
Member
 
groovymoonbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Drives: ‘22 CWP BRZ LTD 6MT
Location: CO
Posts: 81
Thanks: 61
Thanked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Yes, similar issue. Good to know that, I may take to dealership, but before I wanna make sure I can reproduce the issue consistently.

I will verify either if turning left or right makes difference, and G level. Any other suggestion?

Are you planning on taking yours too?
Iíve thought about mentioning it when I drop it off for itís first oil change.

From my experience, the notching appears to be an over-sensitive ďsafetyĒ feature to prevent us humans from grinding the gears. Not having had the previous gen, not sure if this is just common or not.

Iíve been able to defeat it in a few different scenarios - when driving downhill in 3rd and under 40 MPH, if youíre taking a sharper turn (left or right) it feels like youíre locked out of downshifting. My workaround here has been to drop under 30 MPH and re-actuate the clutch and it lets me drop into 2nd with just a little bit of resistance.

Iíll try and take a look at the G levels too, the other times I have issues with the gearbox trying to prevent downshifts is rolling to a stop sign in 2nd and trying to downshift to 1st before fully stopping. So probably between 10 MPH and 20 MPH it will just not listen. Most of the time I have to just fully stop and re-actuate the clutch and then thereís no issue. I assume this is by design as itís probably best practice to not be able to drop into first accidentally while in motion but I wonder if you guys have noticed the same. Would be nice to just be able to stop in first with the clutch in and then immediately get off of the line.

These limitations feel more like itís just the character of the gearbox and less of an ďissueĒ but rather by design to prevent significant wear. I wonder if someone with the short shifter STI kit can weigh in on whether or not they experience the same issue.
groovymoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to groovymoonbear For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #96
sds
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: MA
Posts: 80
Thanks: 8
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovymoonbear View Post
Iíve thought about mentioning it when I drop it off for itís first oil change.

From my experience, the notching appears to be an over-sensitive ďsafetyĒ feature to prevent us humans from grinding the gears. Not having had the previous gen, not sure if this is just common or not.

Iíve been able to defeat it in a few different scenarios - when driving downhill in 3rd and under 40 MPH, if youíre taking a sharper turn (left or right) it feels like youíre locked out of downshifting. My workaround here has been to drop under 30 MPH and re-actuate the clutch and it lets me drop into 2nd with just a little bit of resistance.

Iíll try and take a look at the G levels too, the other times I have issues with the gearbox trying to prevent downshifts is rolling to a stop sign in 2nd and trying to downshift to 1st before fully stopping. So probably between 10 MPH and 20 MPH it will just not listen. Most of the time I have to just fully stop and re-actuate the clutch and then thereís no issue. I assume this is by design as itís probably best practice to not be able to drop into first accidentally while in motion but I wonder if you guys have noticed the same. Would be nice to just be able to stop in first with the clutch in and then immediately get off of the line.

These limitations feel more like itís just the character of the gearbox and less of an ďissueĒ but rather by design to prevent significant wear. I wonder if someone with the short shifter STI kit can weigh in on whether or not they experience the same issue.
The gearbox is physically moving as G-forces load up, which is likely part of the issue. I'm not sure a short shifter would fix this, but I do think a stiffer trans mount would.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sds For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022), Midnightsky (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #97
Midnightsky
Senior Member
 
Midnightsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Location: Alberta
Posts: 348
Thanks: 328
Thanked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
The gearbox is physically moving as G-forces load up, which is likely part of the issue. I'm not sure a short shifter would fix this, but I do think a stiffer trans mount would.
Ensuring a "perfect" rev-match also helps big time with that. Definitely a stiffer mount will help, OEM is never stiff enough.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:26 AM   #98
diga
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: SoCal
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone successfully programmed/registered a 5 digit numerical code for the trunk button to be able to unlock the car? There's instructions on page 100 in the manual which I'm following but can't get past step 3 - no intermittent chirp sound. I'm a runner and would like to occasionally leave the key fob inside my car while I go for a run.
diga is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone not buying to avoid early issues like 1st gen FRS? stocktc1 GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) 203 09-23-2021 09:11 PM
Buying an early build in the fall, but some issues with these cars are worrying me... RyMi BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 34 02-27-2019 08:56 PM
New 2014s still have early issues? Prospective buyer Lord09 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 25 06-14-2014 04:42 AM
Early problems - speaker rasp and long turnover Hawaiian Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 44 08-30-2013 04:39 PM
Initial Issues / Problems JDMSushi AUSTRALIA 56 09-30-2012 10:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.