follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #3067
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
It's over for literally everyone who matters. The protests were dropped, Merc isn't going to protest more, everyone has packed up and gone home.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 2022 cars and how they go.
Even if they had reversed it or taken it higher, I don't think it would have been the right decision. It played out on track, let it be.
Spuds (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #3068
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It's over for literally everyone who matters. The protests were dropped, Merc isn't going to protest more, everyone has packed up and gone home.

Lawyers have families to feed too.... they're waiting for their turn
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #3069
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

So all the news about them appealing the decision to ICA and then possibly to CAS is what? "Fake News"

It's sad that a lot of people clearly are so biased they can't even admit there's fuckery happening.

I hope if anything happens at all they fire Masi.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #3070
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Edit: youtube search " Fernando Alonso's reaction to being told that lapped cars can't overtake

Even Alonso "Gets It" but Merc Fans see it the other way? All year cars have been let past on safety car. Let's be honest here, Hamilton wanted to pit, his team told him to stay out. That is where they lost the race.

Masi correcting himself to release the lapped cars is the same situation he's followed all year.

Hamilton and Mercedes were prepared to fight Max on fresh tires even before the call to let the back markers through.

Last edited by Espi; 12-13-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Espi For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #3071
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
So all the news about them appealing the decision to ICA and then possibly to CAS is what? "Fake News"

It's sad that a lot of people clearly are so biased they can't even admit there's fuckery happening.

I was not aware they had done that.

At this point I think they should just tar and feather Masi and move on to next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post

Even Alonso "Gets It" but Merc Fans see it the other way? All year cars have been let past on safety car. Let's be honest here, Hamilton wanted to pit, his team told him to stay out. That is where they lost the race.

Masi correcting himself to release the lapped cars is the same situation he's followed all year.

Hamilton and Mercedes were prepared to fight Max on fresh tires even before the call to let the back markers through.
This is what Merc is on about. I am just going to copy and paste from another source since it is easier then typing.

The regulation is then explicit about when the race can be restarted.

It states: “Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

“If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system “

This clause suggests that with the lapped car message having come out on lap 57, then the restart could only come at the end of the ‘following lap’- so lap 58, which was the end of the race.
daiheadjai (12-14-2021), Spuds (12-13-2021), strat61caster (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #3072
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,432 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

Man, you need a chill pill bud. I wasn't aware they were trying to take it further, that's all that's going on. Though I don't think it's going to go anywhere. What are they going to do, penalize Max or Red Bull for the FIA's decision? You want the championship decided in a court room? I doubt even Hamilton wants that.

Hindsight is 20/20 (or in this case 2021). Yes, it would have been better for a red flag right when the car crashed. But that wasn't the ruling on the field so to speak. We can't go back and do it over again.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #3073
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I was not aware they had done that.

At this point I think they should just tar and feather Masi and move on to next year.

This is what Merc is on about. I am just going to copy and paste from another source since it is easier then typing.

The regulation is then explicit about when the race can be restarted.

It states: “Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

“If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system “

This clause suggests that with the lapped car message having come out on lap 57, then the restart could only come at the end of the ‘following lap’- so lap 58, which was the end of the race.
I'm pretty sure there is precedence for going off-script here. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I recall they have called out specific cars allowed to pass before, and they didn't get a chance to rejoin the pack before going racing.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #3074
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Only the cars between the front two were allowed to pass. That's weird. Other drivers found it weird.

There is no way for any call to not dictate the race outcome. They knew this meant it was probably handing the win to Max, but there was a chance otherwise (see Checo expertly defending earlier in the race) but it's still shady as heck just because of the inconsistencies - both this race and all season. Max had zero ducks to give and sent it. I'm not convinced he'd have played nice if Lewis had found a pass opportunity... Or maybe that happened and Lewis backed off.
Either way, RB and Max have put themselves on the list I'll root against. And I like Checo, so that's disappointing he's on a shit team. Oh well.
daiheadjai (12-14-2021), strat61caster (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #3075
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

100% Masi and his gang have been a disgrace to the premier motorsport event. Their inconsistency throughout the year means drivers just try shit and see what sticks, every weekend. F1 has all these rules and Masi and gang have made a mess of it. That last parting gift of letting SOME lapped cars unlap themselves was literally done for the show of it and not according to the very rules they claim to adhere to. Fire his ass..."Um, Michael, this is Ross, you're done here. Thank you. No, there is no appeal. Perhaps WWE has some openings."

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #3076
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
F1 was getting stale. Another championship for LH would be more stale. It is what it is.

Put em both out alone for 5 laps with softs and have at it. No penalties, take the gloves off...

That would sum up the whole season
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-13-2021), strat61caster (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #3077
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghurl View Post
100% Masi and his gang have been a disgrace to the premier motorsport event. Their inconsistency throughout the year means drivers just try shit and see what sticks, every weekend. F1 has all these rules and Masi and gang have made a mess of it. That last parting gift of letting SOME lapped cars unlap themselves was literally done for the show of it and not according to the very rules they claim to adhere to. Fire his ass..."Um, Michael, this is Ross, you're done here. Thank you. No, there is no appeal. Perhaps WWE has some openings."

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
You mean the stewards that change from race to race? I hardly call that a gang. Masi is the race director responsible for safety. Do you really want to put 4 slow cars in between Max and Lewis on a restart? That seems quite unsafe to me.

If you are so bitter about it, don't watch. F1 follows the money and they get money from you watching it.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #3078
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm just glad the race ended with both championship contenders crossing the finish line.

The circumstances leading up to that final lap are going to be hotly debated until the new season starts. Hopefully some kind of precedence is set for more consistent rule enforcement going forward...

Happy for Max to get his first, and for RBR to secure another WDC. It was a very exciting season to watch unfold. I can only hope 2022 regs moving forward can provide more competitive racing.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-14-2021), kinghurl (12-13-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-13-2021), Spuds (12-13-2021), strat61caster (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #3079
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
You mean the stewards that change from race to race? I hardly call that a gang. Masi is the race director responsible for safety. Do you really want to put 4 slow cars in between Max and Lewis on a restart? That seems quite unsafe to me.

If you are so bitter about it, don't watch. F1 follows the money and they get money from you watching it.
Then why did they leave two "slow cars" (ric and Bottas) between Sainz and Max? Either all lapped cars get a pass or none, this half hearted freebie is basically unprecedented.

All the lapped cars would've jumped out of Max's way with blue flags being shown to them, it would've been a non issue with 3 laps of green and then Max would've had drs on Hamilton.

Masi took a situation with three by the book reasonable outcomes, two of which gives Max a shot at winning, and made up a fourth scenario that favors Max.

Edit actually four scenarios that would've been fair, two that seem equal, one for Lewis and one for Max. And masi magicked up a fifth.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cjd (12-13-2021), daiheadjai (12-14-2021), kinghurl (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #3080
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

As race director Masi is responsible for ensuing stewards follow a consistent application of the rule book-like Charlie did successfully for all those years. The only reason to let SOME cars unlap themselves and not ALL (as per their own rules) was for the show-a-la WWE-all for the show. This isn't WWE however. You hear each of the top team bosses arguing for consistency in rule application. So not a matter of being bitter about it. This is a discussion forum-so opinions are being expressed. The comment about the money is spot on-that however is not what they claim with the FIAs continuous reference to the rule book. Either use it or don't, but treating it like a buffet menu depending on moods of the stewards debases the whole thing.
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis