follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Maybe apply leverage through SOA?
They wont help. At least they never did with anybody else where the dealer wouldn't accept responsibility. Remember the dealerships are privately owned not run by SOA.
soundman98 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #16
Nick.brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You may be able to. There were many dealers that did indeed acknowledge that they screwed up and ate the cost of the repair. The fact that they quoted you a replacement price is not a good indicator that they will do this though I am afraid. Before you agree to paying any repairs check around for a lawyer that will at least talk to you. Many will not charge for the first consultation. Will give you a better idea of your chances in a fight and could be way cheaper than the $15K replacement cost.

Did you authorize them to do the recall work or did they just do it on their own?
I did authorize the recall work since they did tell me it was mandatory.

And I think the dealership knows this is their fault, it's just a matter of if they're paying for it or not.
Nick.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick.brz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #17
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.brz View Post
I did authorize the recall work since they did tell me it was mandatory.

And I think the dealership knows this is their fault, it's just a matter of if they're paying for it or not.
Well if they know it is their fault...
Dadhawk (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #18
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,407 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Maybe apply leverage through SOA?
Subaru of America won't do anything for an 18 year old living in Toronto Canada!
Nick, contact Subaru Canada's customer service. Tell them that your car has suffered a known engine failure related to the valve recall repair. You want to find out if the dealer has been paid for the recall repair. Most important is that SoC knows that it resulted in an engine failure that is not your fault. Make sure that they know that the dealer MUST come good for this. If SoC Customer Service or the dealership doesn't get back to you with the answer you want (in a timely fashion) than contact Pat Foran at CTV News or another TV news consumer advocate.
Good Luck!
Stephen W. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Subaru of America won't do anything for an 18 year old living in Toronto Canada!
Nick, contact Subaru Canada's customer service. Tell them that your car has suffered a known engine failure related to the valve recall repair. You want to find out if the dealer has been paid for the recall repair. Most important is that SoC knows that it resulted in an engine failure that is not your fault. Make sure that they know that the dealer MUST come good for this. If SoC Customer Service or the dealership doesn't get back to you with the answer you want (in a timely fashion) than contact Pat Foran at CTV News or another TV news consumer advocate.
Good Luck!
SOC won't help either. It is not their issue that a dealer screwed up. They have said so many times.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'm just damn sorry, OP. I die a little bit inside every time I read about this shit show.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 PM   #21
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
You may be able to. There were many dealers that did indeed acknowledge that they screwed up and ate the cost of the repair. The fact that they quoted you a replacement price is not a good indicator that they will do this though I am afraid. Before you agree to paying any repairs check around for a lawyer that will at least talk to you. Many will not charge for the first consultation. Will give you a better idea of your chances in a fight and could be way cheaper than the $15K replacement cost.

Did you authorize them to do the recall work or did they just do it on their own?
definitely talk to a lawyer. worked with one once that said he sometimes writes a very strongly worded letters on company letterhead to encourage the other party to come to the desired conclusion, and has had good success with the approach many times. might be able to have a lawyer write up the letter for a minimal fee as a second step-- after the first step of the dealer deciding to not own up to it doesn't go anywhere.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #22
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Im a 18 yr in high school, a lawyer isn't really something I can afford so I'm hopping we can resolve this without one.
Is there any kind of public legal services in your area or through your high school? Maybe talk to a school counselor. Good luck.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Is there any kind of public legal services in your area or through your high school? Maybe talk to a school counselor. Good luck.
He may actually have a case under the Consumer Protection Act since the last repair was one week before the failure.
The problem would be proving the repair was the cuase.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint
blsfrs (05-12-2022), soundman98 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #24
Nick.brz

Quote:
He may actually have a case under the Consumer Protection Act since the last repair was one week before the failure.
The problem would be proving the repair was the cuase.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint
Last engine repair was in December, but I did not put more than 2000km on it since then.

All of my receipts are sitting in the glove box in my car so I can not currently access them so my time line is slightly off. From looking back at old photos I believe the first repair was preformed in October, with my last engine repair being preformed in December.

Thanks for the help anyways, still going back and forth with the dealer before I pursue legal action.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Last engine repair was in December, but I did not put more than 2000km on it since then.

All of my receipts are sitting in the glove box in my car so I can not currently access them so my time line is slightly off. From looking back at old photos I believe the first repair was preformed in October, with my last engine repair being preformed in December.

Thanks for the help anyways, still going back and forth with the dealer before I pursue legal action.
Oh certainly go as far as possible with the dealer first. If in December then you are outside of the 90 day window. I misread your timing in your first post.
soundman98 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:56 PM   #26
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,407 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
SOC won't help either. It is not their issue that a dealer screwed up. They have said so many times.
Perhaps that is so (SoC not helping). However, its part of the due diligence that the OP must perform before legal action can be taken. He has to show that he attempted to resolve the issue by all means before starting said legal action.
Furthermore, Subaru, (like all manufactures) requires that in order for a dealership to keep its franchise it must maintain the standards as laid out in their agreement. Dealerships that fail to maintain standards may be penalized. For example; charged higher prices for parts, not allowed participation in bonus programs or other similar punitive measures.
Stephen W. is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #27
Tcoat

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Perhaps that is so (SoC not helping). However, its part of the due diligence that the OP must perform before legal action can be taken. He has to show that he attempted to resolve the issue by all means before starting said legal action.
Furthermore, Subaru, (like all manufactures) requires that in order for a dealership to keep its franchise it must maintain the standards as laid out in their agreement. Dealerships that fail to maintain standards may be penalized. For example; charged higher prices for parts, not allowed participation in bonus programs or other similar punitive measures.
Agreed but we already have a firm history in both Canada and the US of corporate Subaru saying “not our problem”.
Looks like he is doing all the right steps if it has to go further though.
Ultramaroon (05-13-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #28
Nick.brz

Update***

After a few weeks of going back and forth with the dealership they agreed to giving me a brand new engine free of charge.

For anyone else going through the same issue as me, the best advice I can give you is to threaten to report the dealership to OMVIC and Subaru Canada since they must hold a certain standard with their customers to sell vehicles in Canada.

Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nick.brz For This Useful Post:
Busybee (06-11-2022), Dadhawk (06-08-2022), DarkPira7e (06-08-2022), Stephen W. (06-08-2022), Ultramaroon (06-08-2022)