follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Favorite corners

I suppose there's a thread on this somewhere but I didn't look. Just curious about everybody's favorite corner. Not necessarily my favorite, but most challenging in my opinion, is 2 at Mosport. High-speed, left hand, off-camber, downhill double apex. Most fun to drive for me is Wagon Bend at Summit Point.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I have favorite complex's, but not many single turns stand out. T3 at Thunderhill west before they flattened the curb was always a fun "event." T9 at THill west also apexs on a little hill and can be tricky. CCW ORP T11 is tricky and fun but you can really carry a ton of speed. There is the T5-T6 at Pacific that is tricky and fun with some elevation and high curbs. T5-T9 at ORP CCW is fun as some of it weaves back and forth up the sides of a ravine, and T9 is at the top of a hill and blind. I also really love T1-T5 at The Ridge as it is fun to carry the speed through it and you go up and over a hill.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Corkscrew at Laguna Seca.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
evanescent03 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post

I’ve yet to make the pilgrimage down there.
Old 03-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Too many to pick a favorite.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #6
racer01

Drives: 2022 86 premium manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Favorite I have driven in a lower hp car is the uphill esses at VIR followed by turn 5 at Road Atlanta, especially in a high hp car that can spin the wheels in 3rd gear up the hill while bouncing over the outside curbing.

Favorite in the world is no contest.....Eau Rouge at Spa.
racer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #7
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Palmer T2 - fast, long, downhill sweeper. If you can get the car to hook up and take a nice set, get on throttle early, you just fly out of here all the way up the hill.

Watkins Glen T9 - tricky slow corner where all the camber goes away in a hurry, and there's no margin on exit. But from here you're nearly flat to T1. I had a big moment here once in the rain and ever since that scare it's like a drug. I need to coax a little more out of the car every time through.

Mosport Esses - I've only been here IRL once but I think that still qualifies me to count it. I keep coming back in the sim. Reminds me of a smaller Maggots-Becketts complex of tightening sweepers off the end of a huge fast straight.

Tremblant T10-T12. Again, fast entry off the back straight, attack the curbs, then up and over the hill, blind under the bridge, squirt off the corner and up towards Namerow. I love this complex.

NHMS - I have nothing to say to you. OK T6 and T9 are fun. And steering the car with the throttle up the hill from T3 and dropping half a tire (no more) on exit of T4 can be pretty satisfying. Yeah, I guess in fairness it's not the track's fault I don't really enjoy myself here.

Hoping to find a few more favorites this season. Getting to know Thompson a little better, and Lime Rock or Tamworth are possibilities. Pressure's on now to get the car ready. Here we go!
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #8
evanescent03

Drives: 22 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Definitely iconic, first couple times were a real picker factor! I think I actually enjoy turns 6 and 10 more..

I like turns that I screw up for a long time and then finally find a better way to do it … Oak Tree at VIR is my most recent example!
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evanescent03 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-13-2022), timurrrr (03-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #9
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
Palmer T2 - fast, long, downhill sweeper. If you can get the car to hook up and take a nice set, get on throttle early, you just fly out of here all the way up the hill.

Watkins Glen T9 - tricky slow corner where all the camber goes away in a hurry, and there's no margin on exit. But from here you're nearly flat to T1. I had a big moment here once in the rain and ever since that scare it's like a drug. I need to coax a little more out of the car every time through.

Mosport Esses - I've only been here IRL once but I think that still qualifies me to count it. I keep coming back in the sim. Reminds me of a smaller Maggots-Becketts complex of tightening sweepers off the end of a huge fast straight.

Tremblant T10-T12. Again, fast entry off the back straight, attack the curbs, then up and over the hill, blind under the bridge, squirt off the corner and up towards Namerow. I love this complex.

NHMS - I have nothing to say to you. OK T6 and T9 are fun. And steering the car with the throttle up the hill from T3 and dropping half a tire (no more) on exit of T4 can be pretty satisfying. Yeah, I guess in fairness it's not the track's fault I don't really enjoy myself here.

Hoping to find a few more favorites this season. Getting to know Thompson a little better, and Lime Rock or Tamworth are possibilities. Pressure's on now to get the car ready. Here we go!

I only ran Tremblant once and that was a long time ago, but if I recall correctly, the best way to roll your car is to miss the apex on that one. I think I remember it's right hand, off camber, up over a hill, decreasing radius on the downside and you have nowhere to go if you're wide of the apex. Another interesting thing about Tremblant was the rough surface. you could run in the rain almost as fast as in the dry because you stuck so much. But that was 25 years ago at least, and they probably paved it since.

If you get to Lime Rock, the challenge is Big Bend There are two lines, one for racing and one for time. If it's the racing line it's gotta be a double apex to protect your inside. Be careful on the uphill at the end of no-name straight. Make sure the car is square as you go over the top. I recall vividly seeing a 914 laying on its side off the right side of the track at the top once. We ran it backwards once. I hope I never have to do it again.

At the Glen T9, I think you're talking about what we used to just refer to as the off camber. Left-hander after a short straight heading to the right out onto the front straight. Very dangerous corner. In recent years I see they put in a big sand trap for runoff.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #10
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I have favorite complex's, but not many single turns stand out. T3 at Thunderhill west before they flattened the curb was always a fun "event." T9 at THill west also apexs on a little hill and can be tricky. CCW ORP T11 is tricky and fun but you can really carry a ton of speed. There is the T5-T6 at Pacific that is tricky and fun with some elevation and high curbs. T5-T9 at ORP CCW is fun as some of it weaves back and forth up the sides of a ravine, and T9 is at the top of a hill and blind. I also really love T1-T5 at The Ridge as it is fun to carry the speed through it and you go up and over a hill.

I only ran Thunderhlll and Buttonwillow in California, and both on motorcycles not cars. Both great tracks and the nice thing is that they were designed for competition more than spectators so you pretty much have run-off anywhere you need it without any Armco around you. I did have to take an agricultural expedition once at Buttonwillow, when someone stuffed me in a corner.

I had my car with me on that trip also and was planning on running Laguna Seca, and what was then known as Sears Point, but to my surprise nobody needed instructors. There were so many motorsports guys out there, there was no great need. Anywhere else, at least back then, you hung out your instructor shingle and you had an open invitation.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #11
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Definitely iconic, first couple times were a real picker factor! I think I actually enjoy turns 6 and 10 more..
lol, corkscrew was turn 6 and 6a most all the times I drove it.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I’ve yet to make the pilgrimage down there.
Do it.

I've only ever driven Sears Point and Laguna, both super fun, but aren't they all?
Old 03-13-2022, 08:00 PM   #13
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,150 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
All Ontario tracks:
TMP - 8/9/10, dont really need to lift in an NA car
DDT - 9/10, downhill into a deep braking zone and sharper left hand turn.
Grand Bend - 11 "the bump"... which did help put my car in the wall. Still the most fun corner on that track.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Do it.

I've only ever driven Sears Point and Laguna, both super fun, but aren't they all?

It’s on the list.