follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
No, mine is quiet. No shifting issues, have even made a 5-2nd shift a couple times by mistake on the track and no problems
Meh. Hold off on the partout.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #16
ArCha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I've wondered about this but I figure as long as it runs dead silent, I won't worry.

What were your before/after numbers? Did you find anything to be sloppy?

The pinion bearing was a little loose but it didn't resolve anything. I had the diff swapped at the same time so I don't have the original gap but I remember the shop saying the spec was .003-.005thou.

Quote:
Did going through the diff help resolve some of the noise?

I have inspected most of the bushings in the rear of the car, but that doesn't rule out deflection being the source of the noise.

Not really, no. Only two things have helped so far: adding STI engine and transmission mounts which halved the problem and loosening the subframe which has whiteline inserts. I'm thinking to replace the bushings to stock at some point. I should mention that I have had the inserts for a while but didn't have this problem until I went supercharged.

Quote:
Haven't been able to isolate it to a specific instance that causes it. Sometimes it happens on/off throttle, sometimes it does it while swerving, sometimes it does it when I hit a bump. I does not happen under steady state load. I have had the whole back of the car up off the ground and shook parts until I thought it was going to come off the stands and haven't been able to replicate it on the ground. I thought it was a chassis part loose at first but I have kinda figured it is either a fatigued bushing that feels okay when it is static or possibly the diff. I have pulled the CV's and articulated them through their motion but they feel fine. I'm stumped.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, except nothing when swerving; On-off throttle and when putting in the clutch. Also I get a definite shudder at the same time.
ArCha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArCha For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-13-2018)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #17
itschris

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@NoHaveMSG Did you ever address this?

I've been living with the slop since I got this car a couple years ago, but spent some time in my dad's e36 recently and... ugh. Can't go back to dealing with all this driveline lash. I got under my car today and nearly all of it seems to be from the diff. I have a short clip turning the driveshaft here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HAv...XuDNcEbUq/view

If someone could confirm this much backlash isn't normal that would be awesome.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
@NoHaveMSG Did you ever address this?

I've been living with the slop since I got this car a couple years ago, but spent some time in my dad's e36 recently and... ugh. Can't go back to dealing with all this driveline lash. I got under my car today and nearly all of it seems to be from the diff. I have a short clip turning the driveshaft here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HAv...XuDNcEbUq/view

If someone could confirm this much backlash isn't normal that would be awesome.

I had to reread the whole thread to remember what it was about

The backlash is normal. I believe the issue was I needed to tighten the shit out of the CV axle nut. I can’t remember for sure this was so long ago.
Plumbus (05-28-2021), Ultramaroon (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:55 AM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I found the source of mine. It's not in the diff. 90% is in the outer CV joints. Slop-o-rama
Old 05-25-2021, 12:16 AM   #20
itschris

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had to reread the whole thread to remember what it was about

The backlash is normal. I believe the issue was I needed to tighten the shit out of the CV axle nut. I can’t remember for sure this was so long ago.
Thanks for the response. Disappointing to hear it's most likely normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I found the source of mine. It's not in the diff. 90% is in the outer CV joints. Slop-o-rama
Slop-o-rama is definitely the right term for this. I got back under today to double check the CV joints, inner and outer feel a-ok. Looks like the source of mine is the diff.

I think I'll use this as an excuse to grab a 4.3. If it comes with as much play as the one on my car, I'll take the opportunity to rebuild it. I'm just not ready to resign to living with this yet.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:39 AM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
Thanks for the response. Disappointing to hear it's most likely normal

Slop-o-rama is definitely the right term for this. I got back under today to double check the CV joints, inner and outer feel a-ok. Looks like the source of mine is the diff.

I think I'll use this as an excuse to grab a 4.3. If it comes with as much play as the one on my car, I'll take the opportunity to rebuild it. I'm just not ready to resign to living with this yet.
I had a 4.3 diff out of an 18' BRZ and the amount of slop was no different then my stock 4.1 diff.
itschris (05-25-2021), Thefalls (05-25-2021)