follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking to move to Phoenix from WI

Hey everyone. I am looking to move from WI to AZ for a scenery change. If all works out with a new job, etc.

Anyways I was wondering if everyone could give any suggestions on living, night life, car shows, etc.

I want to stay in downtown as I am a city kind of guy. Is cost of living a lot? I tried searching for apartments downtown and everything looks like a resort with palm trees etc. Is there a certain part of town to watch out for? Also how is parking? Is it difficult being in the city and all?

Is craigslist a good go to for apartment searching or what other websites do people recommend?

Thanks.
FR-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send me your number by pm I call ya...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Really depends what you're looking for. I've lived all over the valley since moving here 8 years ago. I live in scottsdale now, its fits my needs. I'm young, single and my 3 main interests (cars, nightlife and hockey) are all within 15 minutes. I'm from NY originally so if you think you're gonna get the city life downtown you're in for a surprise lol...It has improved ALOT but its still very spread out.
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Downtown Phoenix is actually pretty lame as far as I am concerned. Phoenix is a weird city in that the best places for nightlife are actually in Scottsdale and Tempe, which are part of Phoenix, just not the actual downtown area. Downtown Phoenix does have decent restaurants and also the sports stadiums but the nightlife isnt really there. The best places to live in all reality are the onesmwith easy access to the highways. I live in Chandler, which is mostly middle class families and retired people living on golf courses. I plan on moving to Ahwatukee which is actually really nice but close to the 10 which provides quick access to downtown, Tempe town center, and Scottsdale, but is also cheaper than all those places to live, even when living in luxury apartments.

Its not bad living here, but you gotta find a place with a garage if you love your car, the heat, dust storms, and the near infinite supply of asshole drivers make Phoenix a tough place to keep your car looking its best.

We also have car meetups quite often out here. Every Saturday at Pavillions there is an impromptu car show in the parking lot for all types of cars and motorcycles. We usually have at least 4 FRS/BRZs there and have had alot more on a few occasions. Theres also the Saturday open houses at Local Motors where they have a free to run AutoX track set up. Firebird raceway also has events for AutoX and their racetracks (1/4 mile and circuit). And recently theres been a bunch of events set up at AMP. So we have quite a few things to do, not tomention that we have an active FRS/BRZ community and everyone is eager to help others.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
Send me your number by pm I call ya...
will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@JDLAutodesign View Post
Really depends what you're looking for. I've lived all over the valley since moving here 8 years ago. I live in scottsdale now, its fits my needs. I'm young, single and my 3 main interests (cars, nightlife and hockey) are all within 15 minutes. I'm from NY originally so if you think you're gonna get the city life downtown you're in for a surprise lol...It has improved ALOT but its still very spread out.
Thanks, I would have never known that the downtown isnt large on night life as it is the opposite here in Milwaukee. As far as needs go I am young (23) and pretty close to the same interests as you. My income would probably be around 50K or so to give a rough idea of living means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Downtown Phoenix is actually pretty lame as far as I am concerned. Phoenix is a weird city in that the best places for nightlife are actually in Scottsdale and Tempe, which are part of Phoenix, just not the actual downtown area. Downtown Phoenix does have decent restaurants and also the sports stadiums but the nightlife isnt really there. The best places to live in all reality are the onesmwith easy access to the highways. I live in Chandler, which is mostly middle class families and retired people living on golf courses. I plan on moving to Ahwatukee which is actually really nice but close to the 10 which provides quick access to downtown, Tempe town center, and Scottsdale, but is also cheaper than all those places to live, even when living in luxury apartments.

Its not bad living here, but you gotta find a place with a garage if you love your car, the heat, dust storms, and the near infinite supply of asshole drivers make Phoenix a tough place to keep your car looking its best.

We also have car meetups quite often out here. Every Saturday at Pavillions there is an impromptu car show in the parking lot for all types of cars and motorcycles. We usually have at least 4 FRS/BRZs there and have had alot more on a few occasions. Theres also the Saturday open houses at Local Motors where they have a free to run AutoX track set up. Firebird raceway also has events for AutoX and their racetracks (1/4 mile and circuit). And recently theres been a bunch of events set up at AMP. So we have quite a few things to do, not tomention that we have an active FRS/BRZ community and everyone is eager to help others.
My plans would be an apartment, an apartment with garage access would be even better but I would have no problem living in a tall apartment with underground community parking. What is the cost of apartments usually for a 1 bedroom? Like would I be paying too much to live in a 1 bedroom for 900 a month or less?

Last edited by FR-Shadow; 01-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
Thanks, I would have never known that the downtown isnt large on night life as it is the opposite here in Milwaukee. As far as needs go I am young (23) and pretty close to the same interests as you. My income would probably be around 50K or so to give a rough idea of living means.
Like mentioned before everything is kinda setup different out here...a bunch of smaller cities that make up the "phoenix metro". Scottsdale (Old town specifically) is where the most night life is. You can find pretty much any type of bar, club, pool party, etc. I've been all over the country and can say some of the stuff here rivals just about anywhere, especially in terms of women

I have multiple friends that rent studios and 1 bedrooms in this area from $600-$900 a month, or live in a house with roomates for $400-$600.
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
chrisbfrs
2012 car of the year

Drives: Frontengine Reardrive-Sportcar
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I live in Gilbert. It's a clean town with nice neighborhoods. Too many cops though lol. You can find a 3 bed 2 bath with a garage for around $1000 a month.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Live in Chandler, nice, quiet, close to the 202 for hops wherever I need to go in PHX....but most importantly for me...1.5 miles to work...who wants to deal with traffic before or after work.

Several of us work at Intel, about the only time I see the Toyobaru Twins out and about.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pscylo For This Useful Post:
SMOKETREES (01-17-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking of relocating to Phoenix from Iowa for a contract job..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
FR-Shadow

Well i think im looking forward to putting the FRS on a uhaul trailer and moving down there. Ill be the only one with WI plates as my car would stay registered there. Imagine the looks ill be getting when i pull up with that hahaha. Ill know absolutely no one so might as well start with getting to know you AZ guys. My FRS will be a show car mainly/DD.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Wi plates wont be wierd out here as weve alot of out of state people here year round. With 2 bigger collages 2 air force bases and well snow birds that are here for the winter( and im talking about Phoenix and Tucson.)
definetly look for something with a garage, if you dont have an opticoat id do it before you move here.
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Wi plates wont be wierd out here as weve alot of out of state people here year round. With 2 bigger collages 2 air force bases and well snow birds that are here for the winter( and im talking about Phoenix and Tucson.)
definetly look for something with a garage, if you dont have an opticoat id do it before you move here.
The closest place to opticoat by me is 2 hours away. Is there a place that opticoats in phoenix? What does it run as far as pricing?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
The phoenix guys are the ones to ask, i didnt get it- should have- but i believe there is in phoenix.
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
FR-Shadow

Has anyone heard of these two places and know if they are any good? Good neighborhood etc?

Aspire at Pinnacle Peak Apartments-
24250 N 23rd Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85085

Signature Place Apartments-
600 West Grove Parkway, Tempe, AZ 85283