follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2020, 11:15 PM   #491
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
some more non-PR pics
Looks better in those non-PR pics. I think the marketing pics do it no favours.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #492
dhutty

Drives: 2004 Subaru WRX wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm still very much on the fence styling wise and with regard to a few interior bits to the new car. But - full disclosure - I don't own a BRZ - I'm in an '04 WRX wagon that I've been thinking about replacing for a few years now. Anyhow..

Like someone else said above, the 1st gen styling took me a long time to really like, and now I do.

This new one...I'm not sure. I'd like to see it in person, but, I do think it "flows" but it's seems to have a bit of blobiness that the Zupra has, but, again, it could grow on me.

I totally saw the ballsacks in the front. I can't unsee them either. But, I can probably live with them.

I don't like the digital instruments, it's almost a deal killer for me, (why Bullitt Mustang?) but, I know that's how things are going so, well, I could live with it. One of the things that keeps me in my '04 WRX is, I keep telling myself, "at least it doesn't have a screen".

But I kind of like the side scoops and how the fender strakes back to form the running board aero.

More rigidity. Lower center of gravity (how?!?) seats look good, dash board very classic Porsche 911, and of course a little more oomph, all are good. Don't know if I had to buy if I'd go with a late model 1st gen or wait for the 2nd.
dhutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:20 PM   #493
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Looks better in those non-PR pics. I think the marketing pics do it no favours.
same here, too much effects and editing going on. also some of them focus too much on the background which takes away from the car imo.

while we're on the topic i think Motortrend's interior pics look way better than the PR pics.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #494
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutty View Post
More rigidity. Lower center of gravity (how?!?) .
They dropped the engine even further and used aluminum in the roof and front fenders as well as the hood. Although not listed they likely also dropped the floor pans down a tad more into the cassis but that is just a guess not a fact.
All in all a very nice bit of engineering to take the already very low COG down even further.
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), daiheadjai (11-20-2020), jcw99 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #495
dhutty

Drives: 2004 Subaru WRX wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They dropped the engine even further and used aluminum in the roof and front fenders as well as the hood. Although not listed they likely also dropped the floor pans down a tad more into the cassis but that is just a guess not a fact.
All in all a very nice bit of engineering to take the already very low COG down even further.

I do think that's pretty impressive. I mean, it's kinda a reason to buy the car... "oh, you have a xyz horspower? How LOW is your center of gravity, eh? Eh?"

I wonder if the lower COG and increased rigidity can really be felt when compared to 1st Gen. I suspect so, but, probably only marginally?
dhutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #496
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do think that's pretty impressive. I mean, it's kinda a reason to buy the car... "oh, you have a xyz horspower? How LOW is your center of gravity, eh? Eh?"

I wonder if the lower COG and increased rigidity can really be felt when compared to 1st Gen. I suspect so, but, probably only marginally?
On a track for sure.
On the streets?
Only if you are driving how you should not be!
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), jcw99 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #497
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Garage
Quote:
Lower center of gravity (how?!?)
Hmm, new model is 40lbs heavier than the old one. CoG is also lower. Overall dimensions haven't changed much. I know! They just added 40lbs of lead to the floor of the car to lower the CoG! Genius.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #498
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Subjective, but I find this new one to be cleaner and maybe a bit *less* aggro or boy-racerish. I hate most things, but I like this:

Honestly it took me a *long* time to warm up to the existing car. Originally preferred the FR-S front but wanted leather/alcantara, so didn't buy one for YEARS. Something about the '17 refresh worked for me I guess. I love the look now. But glad to see that they've kept all of what made the original great, and given it a more ballsy powerplant while keeping all of the revs. Can't wait to drive it...

Anyway, a lot of the things that make the 1st gen "special" I found to be quite gimmicky at first. Particularly the "bumps" over the wheels. The fenders and hoodlines are WAY to high to need those, I greatly preferred the original show car's much lower front end. I think they look great now, particularly on a lowered car, but I'm glad to see the new design language.

I'm with you, although I liked the original design. But, after seeing the FT86 concept, then seeing the current car, it was a let down. It was a nice design, but certain things just really cheapened the look.

At first I liked the humps in the fenders, then I started not liking it. It was more RX8 and NC, than C5/C6 vette, I just never warmed up to that look. Additionally, they didn't kick out away from the car enough, like a Z or S2k to make that look work, so it just looked unfinished.

Btw, it looks like the center of the hood slopes downward more, creating some of that original bulge near the fenders, which I much prefer, feels more taut and not bloated.

And everyone now seems to love the current car's taillights, yet when the car came out, everyone was buying Toms, Valentis, etc etc. Alot of people hate the ducktail, but ran to get the TRD lip for the current car.

But I see some of the beef, the current car despite the aforementioned points had a cleaner side profile that had less interruptions to your eye. The lines flowed from front to back. The new car lacks this continuity, but the disruptions and details they added to me are interesting to my eye, but even more important, functional. I like function driving form, and this car exudes that. I'm not a fan of the rocker design, but its actual some aero without having to resort to canards, lips, pedestal spoilers, etc. I also didn't like looking downward on the sides of the current car, so this makes it a little more dynamic.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #499
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Hmm, anyone else notice no tow hook covers on the bumpers?
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:42 AM   #500
indio22

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
just echoing a lot of what has already been stated. im really looking forward to seeing one in person. thats the best way to judge the styling. i also think once people start seeing them everywhere they will start to warm up to the design.
Same - will need to see in person. That said, the first gen had me at hello. This one not so much.

I don't care for the tear drop looking ducts under each front headlight. Nor the big fin-thing below each rocker panel on the sides. I'm surprised people like those two elements, but as mentioned, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wonder what the rear tail lights look like at night? I very much like the round lights on my first gen BRZ when lit up.

Overall very happy Subaru is still offering this car - hope it sells well. And hey Subaru - how about offering the car in red in the USA again? WTH - Subaru discontinued the color red in the USA for the last year of the first gen 2020 model. A sports car not offered in red?! Subaru don't pull that nonsense with the new version.
indio22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indio22 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), gymratter (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:45 AM   #501
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The subtle difference are the front fenders aren't arched as much, and this was probably intentionally done because they dropped the nose forward and lower to hid the mustache.

The rear looks to be less blunt, truncated off on the 2nd gen. The effect of the rear bump/trunk slant forward, the front fender air exhaust slant, the lower front fenders/hood slant and more lower and forward nose along with the stretched side profile of the lights, gives the whole vehicle a more forward leaning posture. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. Overall, I think the design is good enough. It is more modern, so it is an improvement in that regard, which makes the old model look older, but the old model is postured better, for sure. I see what others are saying. I just don't have as much of a gripe about those changes.
Yeah. I managed to do this quick and dirty overlay, and it's not that they smoothed away the wheel arches but that they raised the entire hood surface to the height of the original humps - and then added length to the nose ahead of the wheel. All of which makes it look less dynamic imo.

I'm glad I did this though because I kept thinking they were exaggerating when they talked about a "significant redesign", but I guess the rear u-body really does have quite a few differences. The door cut out is different, and the Hoffmeister kink is much more pronounced on the newer car.

It'd be cool if someone could do one of those cool sliders where you could easily go back and forth - but I don't know how to do that.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (11-20-2020), joro2 (11-20-2020), NaturallyAspirated (11-20-2020), Tcoat (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #502
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Finally, a place to wipe my boots after a run in the mud....
Attached Images

ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-20-2020), jcw99 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #503
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The rocker extension on my STI isn't a problem at all. I mounted one of these.
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-20-2020), jcw99 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 AM   #504
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The car comes with a Grimmespeed intake stock. There I said it.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote