follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And let's not forget the price discrepancy. In 1999 the base MSRP on the S2000 was almost $10K more than the base MSRP on the FR-S nearly 12 years later.

I think the S2000 may not have cut as many corners as Toyota/Subaru in some areas, but you can't deny that the FR-S is a pretty great bargain at $25K or so.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-20-2014), Jond63 (08-20-2014), PHLonomenal (08-19-2014), Rampage (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #30
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i enjoyed the video. coming from an even older sports pile (1978 280Z with triple webers) directly into the BRZ, i can certainly relate to many of the comparisons made in the vid.

being a sportbike rider, i agree with @thill about the lack of torque being more of an issue with the BRZ than peak HP. my '97 GSXR750 had more HP than my ducati 996, but i find the 996 with its 'torque-ier' engine more enjoyable to ride in the canyons without having to keep the revs up high. just personal preference. if subaru had offered an STi version with factory turbo with 265 HP, i'd have paid the extra for it; no question.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-19-2014), tahdizzle (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #31
Ernie L

Drives: 2014 BRZ black premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
My underwear are also vintage worn for two weeks straight.

Now that's dedication to your craft..
ps..I wonder how many of us here have any idea how much work it is to do these videos...and do them well.
Ernie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #32
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
A question...

Towards the end of the video, the reviewer says the ap2 S2000 is a "far superior" sportscar to a stock FR-S/BRZ.

But just a few minutes before that, he said if the modded FR-S with dampers, brakes, and forced induction was the "STI/TRD" car and it only had the same wheel hp as the Honda, it would be better than the S2000.

Aside from non performance stuff like cheap plastic switches, the only thing he really complained about the stock 86 car was the lack of power. He never said anything bad about the brakes or suspension or anything. In fact, he liked the BRZ power steering better and reiterated the lack of horsepower was holding back the chassis capabilities.

The S2000 has 240hp against only 200hp of the BRZ, and that makes the S2000 "far superior" ?

I'm trying to decide how much if his comments are hyperbole.

I ride sportbikes and after a test drive, I certainly didn't think the BRZ was fast. But I didn't find it that lacking either. 40hp doesn't sound like that much. I haven't driven an S2000 but I can't see that making a night and day difference. But apparently that alone is enough to make it a better sportscar than a FR-S/BRZ ?
Yes.. indeed as a sportscar the S2000 is far superior to the BRZ. BRZ/FRS is much better daily driver. I own an almost stock 06 S2000 and a stock BRZ limited. Couple things that annoy me on my BRZ limited: crappy stock sound system and no alignment adjustment options from the factory except F+R toe, and the engine feels like a pile of crap.. however I still like the car alot and DD it since it's so much more comfortable than the s2000.

Why the S2000 is a "superior sportscar"
- indestructible engine that revs to 8k (F22C1) it's got forged internals and won't blow up like Subaru's do.
- best tranny gearshift feel ever
- proper double wishbone front and rear suspension with full alignment adjustment from the factory.
- the feeling of having the rear end wanting to step out at every corner makes me giggle like a school girl.

The funny thing is.. my s2000 is probably worth more than the BRZ if I were to sell both cars now.
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vhx1 For This Useful Post:
autobrz (08-10-2015), civicdrivr (08-20-2014), Dezoris (08-19-2014), Jond63 (08-20-2014), RockRoll (08-20-2014), WolfpackS2k (08-25-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #33
Floggin Tires

Drives: ZC6, Junk of ALL sorts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My thoughts toward drive-by-wire...

...Name:  DBW.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  24.0 KB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Floggin Tires For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-19-2014), Muaddib (08-21-2014), PHLonomenal (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #34
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Were after effects added to the picture in the video? Some bright parts seemed way out of balance and saturation seemed distractingly high on some shots.

Cool content though. I enjoy the driving footage and history.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #35
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie L View Post
Now that's dedication to your craft..
ps..I wonder how many of us here have any idea how much work it is to do these videos...and do them well.
Someone told me if the work is good usually it will transparent and not distracting. If it sucks people will complain. But its a huge time sink for sure I attached my editing timeline, which shows all the individual clips and the specific adjustments for each clip. Excluding audio editing.

It's much easier to run a youtube channel where you put makeup on and use only a DSLR, no sound etc. Car crap is very challenging to do solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Were after effects added to the picture in the video? Some bright parts seemed way out of balance and saturation seemed distractingly high on some shots.

Cool content though. I enjoy the driving footage and history.
Thanks

Well the short answer is yes, unfortunately using 7 different cameras, many which produce very poor results in certain conditions required a lot of effects and adjustments to cover the fact it looked like crap. The results sometimes are very artificial. Also plenty scenes are run and gun with no help, so when I manually set my iris, namely in car it could be perfect then sun comes out and I glow white. I will make more of an effort to reduce this next video.

I have maxed out my current equipment and would very much like to upgrade to two new master cameras dedicated for these projects but the investment is not worth the return. So I try to focus on content and editing to hide some of the shit video footage.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #36
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Damn, I had almost erased the memory of what an actual throttle cable feels like and how much I dislike that minute, probably entirely psychological, bit of lag when I stab the peddle.

The way you complain about 'having to work the gearbox' makes you sound like you shoulda bought a Mustang and isn't exactly a huge point in the S2000's favor...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-20-2014), Mini Cooper S (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #37
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Someone told me if the work is good usually it will transparent and not distracting. If it sucks people will complain. But its a huge time sink for sure I attached my editing timeline, which shows all the individual clips and the specific adjustments for each clip. Excluding audio editing.

It's much easier to run a youtube channel where you put makeup on and use only a DSLR, no sound etc. Car crap is very challenging to do solo.

Thanks

Well the short answer is yes, unfortunately using 7 different cameras, many which produce very poor results in certain conditions required a lot of effects and adjustments to cover the fact it looked like crap. The results sometimes are very artificial. Also plenty scenes are run and gun with no help, so when I manually set my iris, namely in car it could be perfect then sun comes out and I glow white. I will make more of an effort to reduce this next video.

I have maxed out my current equipment and would very much like to upgrade to two new master cameras dedicated for these projects but the investment is not worth the return. So I try to focus on content and editing to hide some of the shit video footage.
Nice snapshot of the cutting room floor, so to speak. My feedback was just some candid thoughts I had while viewing the video, not necessarily meant to come off as snide (in case you couldn't hear the tone in my voice through words ). Gotta make due with the equipment you have - lets you appreciate the nicer stuff if you ever do decide to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #38
PB86SS

Drives: Sonic Blue MT GTS 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of your videos, they helped get me through the lengthy wait for our 86 to arrive. Keep up the good work and say 'hi' to Turboski!
PB86SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PB86SS For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #39
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thumbs up

you sir did an amazing job comparing the two cars and it's a very valuable since it comes from someone who actually owns both of these cars .. the rumors and BS on internet makes me wanna puke at times ..you know like the comments start with "I know a guy who knows a guys who owns an S2K"

This is exactly what I am trying to say about our cars, without the FI they're so underpowered (well maybe not for a 17 yo)..

I never owned an S2K but I had a chance to drive my friends car back in days and I loved the involvement and the driver centric feeling of the car like you mentioned

all that said, I seriously considered getting an S2K but the lack of the backseats and inability to fit the extra set of wheels/tires for the track days were bummer :/ I might consider getting one in the future though..
thanks again for all the effort for making this video
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #40
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Another nicely done video. I appreciate all that you have documented with your car, it was a big help when I was considering getting my car.

Keep up the good work please!
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarzCarzCarz For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #41
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
you sir did an amazing job comparing the two cars and it's a very valuable since it comes from someone who actually owns both of these cars .. the rumors and BS on internet makes me wanna puke at times ..you know like the comments start with "I know a guy who knows a guys who owns an S2K"

This is exactly what I am trying to say about our cars, without the FI they're so underpowered (well maybe not for a 17 yo)..

I never owned an S2K but I had a chance to drive my friends car back in days and I loved the involvement and the driver centric feeling of the car like you mentioned

all that said, I seriously considered getting an S2K but the lack of the backseats and inability to fit the extra set of wheels/tires for the track days were bummer :/ I might consider getting one in the future though..
thanks again for all the effort for making this video
Thanks for the kind words. I share your same feelings. If you have to have one or the other you get the 86 as it will do more for you if you plan on making it a daily driver.

As a daily driver the S2000 is well, horrible.

You can't truly appreciate the S2000 until it becomes that second car. The car that just does what it was designed to do.
Honda's best obtainable sports car for those who love to drive.
(Assuming you fit in it)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #42
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I share your same feelings. If you have to have one or the other you get the 86 as it will do more for you if you plan on making it a daily driver.

As a daily driver the S2000 is well, horrible.

You can't truly appreciate the S2000 until it becomes that second car. The car that just does what it was designed to do.
Honda's best obtainable sports car for those who love to drive.
(Assuming you fit in it)
maybe I might get another car down the road as a DD and try S2K and put a Kraftwerks kit in it I don't really care about the practicality as long as I have an access to another car .. I really like my BRZ but every one in a while I feel like I can use a bit more power it's pretty easy to break 400whp with a KW kit on S2K motor ..this guy is local and he regularly breaks NASA TT lap records with his beautiful S2K

I really like his build
http://sectoronedesign.wordpress.com/
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote