follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Both. Just a warning to potential viewers
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom4 View Post
Both. Just a warning to potential viewers
I thought, chassis brace was within the guideline, but thank you for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

Good news about Gas Pedal kit is it only take 5mins to install/uninstall, so next year's National and regional Solo, I'll make sure to take it off.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #17
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

While waiting for this weekend's autox, here's one mod that I did earlier that I didn't post here.

@Diode Dynamics's LED light bulbs. Why I went with them instead of other brands? Cuz they backup their stuff with facts. Not only photos, but other datas. In this thread, it show some good info: Lighting Tech 101

What I got was:
Foglights
Dome lights
Door lights
Trunk lights

How are they? You can look for yourself.
OEM:

After:

Instead of amber lights, it's now white LED lights.

Overall I do like em, BUT I would recommend forking over extra to get higher grade ver. I got the basic (cheap ver), so it's not bright as I wish.

Also I'm not a fan of door light brighten up the corner and not in the center (yeah, very minor problem)... but maybe some of you are like me, don't make this mistake and buy higher up and you won't regret it.

Now, I've bought other stuff from them as well. I'll be doing that review later.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #18
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

After several testing, I can finally give you guys 2 products review. Both of them were my selfish request (and few member's wishes) products.

First one is @Beastronix's Pedal Dance + ABS kit
Second one is @GSpeed's Gas Pedal Kit

I want to thank both for listening to my request and actually making it.

Start off from Beastronix's Pedal Dance + ABS kit. I've been following Beastronix or should I say, 86Nanny for a while. Since he made VSC+TC off module for our car. When he decided to make new module Pedal Dance kit, I requested to make one that can disable ABS as an option.

I know you guys prob have few questions, so let me answer few of em:

Q1 - What's Pedal Dance?
A - You can read the thread here for that: Pedal Dance

Q2 - Why disable ABS?
A - Can't drift with ABS on. Yes, not only autox, but I do drift & time attack as well.

Q3 - Why not just pull the ABS fuse?
A - Cuz if I pull the ABS fuse, I'll disable PS (Powersteering) as well. For my selfish reason, I want ABS off, but keep PS on.

Q4 - Why Beastronix instead of other company?
A - Hm... there might be several excuses for that, but for me, he sounded more passionate about his products and listen to the people/customer for their wants.

Installation

It's pretty simple plug and play. You don't need to be rocket scientist nor mechanic to install this... but there might be few problem/concern installing.

1. Need to drill a hole. If you don't like drilling a hole into a new car, but want this kit, you might need to look for other options. Cuz you do require to drill a whole. I drilled a hole into the common spot everyone was drill (& prob meant to). I was a bit scared, but it wasn't my first time drilling something into my car. Double made sure it's on the right spot and drill my way.

2. Location of module. I'm pretty sure it vary with each setup, but it might be better to have standard spot to hide that module... or maybe I missed it in the instruction. I've zip tied it to one of dash pillar, so it's out of the way and unless I go under the dash, I won't see it (I tried to take a pic... but it all came blur).

Performance

Tested out several events and it performed the way it should be. There was one issue... but FYI, issue was my end and not Beastronix. Reason why bring this up is, when I brought the concern, he replied back pretty quickly. It was within 24hrs of sending the message in FB. Customer service is excellent!

Not sure about you guys, but when I'm getting ready to race, I got so~~~ much stuff gotta do. Change tires, put the numbers on the side, pull everything off from the car, get helmet and lists goes on and on. I don't got time warm up my car, pull ebrake 3 times, push brake 3 times blah blah blah blah. I just simply push the button hold it for few secs and done! I'm in PD mode with ABS off! I want ABS? One more push and done! I can focus on all the other things.

Module do conncect to OBDII, but module itself is and can be hidden very well and it doesn't get in the way. Again, I've zip tied it to one of dash pillar, so it's won't get in my way. My right leg don't touch the OBDII connector nor even get near it.

Make things more plus is some of you guys don't have TPMS on their aftermarket wheels. This module can reset the sensor to clear the light for you as well! I have TPMS on my daily tires, but I don't have one on my winter sets, so winter season, I'll be using that!

Conclusion

You track, autox, drift or any kind of racing. I would highly recommend this. You never gonna disable ABS? Go with Pedal Dance Kit (it's $20 cheaper!). If you just want TC&VSC off? They got one! You want to customize your own? Send him an email! He's a nice guy, he'll work with you. I've met him in person at this year's 86EXPO and he's a nice guy.

If you guys want one, go here: Beastronix

I'll do Gas Pedal kit review on new post, so stay tune
Old 10-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Alright, time for review that some of you guys are interested to hear about. GSpeed's Gas Pedal Kit

If you follow GSpeed/PST member journal, you know that they're legit shop. They take data to show what works and what part make what. If you got time, I would highly recommend reading their thread (GSpeed's 2015 BRZ)

Anyways, we have been PM'ing back and forth each other on ideas about what 86/BRZ owners would like to see. I've suggested this.

Not sure due to Toyota's gas pedal issue, but gas pedal on our car is too far and too deep in! If you look at official Scion FR-S photos, you see that they have different gas pedal.

...but sadly, we got different pedal. FYI there is pedal like that made. In my knowledge, I know 3 people that owns it. One of them is of course Moto-san from Club4AG. One day, I gonna steal it from him lol

But realistically speaking, I can't really steal that pedal from my sensei (teacher/master).

Anyways, GSpeed listen to my idea and start developing kit that push gas pedal forward (towards driver) and closer to the brake pedal as well.

Quality

Quality is top notch for sure! All good quality parts and no concern on anything. Instruction... maybe need some improvements (not too detail), but hey, it's simple parts, so I guess doesn't need much detail instruction.

Installation

GSpeed did great job making the kit simple, so very minimal tools are needed. Fit like a glove! I didn't need to force anything on any parts... BUT it did took me a sec (plus reading the instruction) what this part was.

Answer is gas pedal holder (not sure proper word for it). Because Gas pedal get pushed forward, when you 'floor' it, it won't hit the floor. This part will help you from over flooring and breaking the pedal. Here's comparison between OEM.

Now, that's out of the way, here's a pic of before and after pic of installation.

Before Gas Pedal kit:

After Gas Pedal kit:

As you can see, it did move the gas pedal forward and closer to brake pedal. To be technical, move the gas pedal 1" forward and 1/4" closer to the brake pedal (GSpeed, if I'm wrong, LMK).

Performance
Mix feeling about this. Yes, it made heel and toe A LOT easier... but ergonomics was off that daily driving this car was a bit of hassle. If you're track geek and you only drive this car only at track and flooring the whole time, yeah sure, it's fine. When you're daily driving and you want the light push of the gas pedal, your right feet is in very awkward position. Solution? Push the seat 1 click back. Some owner will be fine with it that solution.

I'm very picky on position I sit to race and drive. I've tested few autox with pedal kit on. At the beginning it's something needed to get used. Why? Because you might push the gas pedal as well as brake pedal. Not gonna lie, I did that several times. It's prob due with my lazy right feet not hitting the brake pedal in the center, but instead hitting on corner. Also when I try to do heel and toe in full braking, gas pedal is a tiny bit higher than I wish to be. result is an missing the gas pedal or not properly pushing the gas pedal.

My solution this concern was this.

I had local CNC shop help me shave 1/4" off. Thanks for GSpeed not welding that screw, I just unscrew it off and shave the aluminum. Installed it and tested it out.

Now, gas pedal was 99.5% perfectly where I want it. In daily driving, no awkward position nor 1 click back on the seat. I can comfortably drive without pushing the seat back. While I'm racing, I can heel and toe perfectly! Gas pedal is right spot, easier to do heel and toes without extra effort. It's almost like how OEM gas pedal should of been.

IMPORTANT NOTE
My modification do require cutting. GSpeed lifted the gas pedal 1" on purpose. Gas pedal bolt that welded to the firewall is 1" tall. If you lower more than that, you have to 1) Cut the bolt shorter or 2) drill a hole in gas pedal module. I wasn't really willing to drill sensitive module, so I just cut the bolt about 1/4". I went to local Harbor Freight & picked up rotary tool for $10. Took me bout 5~10mins cutting and installing, but nothing too hard.

It's kinda hard to see from the photo, but bolt I've cut is AFTER the nut, so it's nothing worry. Kit is tight and it won't budge.

Conclusion

I would still recommend this kit to anyone. If you're annoyed that gas pedal is a bit far/deep and having hard time doing heel and toe. After installing the kit, get used to the position of the gas before you start driving or worse go racing (not like me lol). If you're willing to go extra mile to shave the kit about 1/4"~1/6" (that's 6.35mm~4.23mm) and willing to cut little bit of bolt off, it's might be worth it.

If you like to buy one @FT-86 SpeedFactory do carry them (& I think, they're the only place that carry it): Gas Pedal Kit

It's a bit pricey... but if you want that perfect heel and toe, worth looking into.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 03-20-2017 at 12:07 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quick update:
Autox season have finished here and final score have been counted. I've taken 5th place out of 44 in STX class in my region.. Next season, I'll be looking light engine mods to see pros and cons on this car.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 11-17-2015 at 12:28 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (12-16-2015), whataboutbob (01-15-2016)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #21
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Looking into power upgrade. First thing I look into was a header. To be detail, UEL header. I've made Header/Overpipe compilation, if you're interesting, check here.

Why UEL? This isn't all true (cuz tuning make a difference), but UEL have tendency to take off the tq dip. When you're autocrossing 3500~4500rpm is important (also in drifting as well). When that tq dip hits when coming out of corning, loose 0.5~1 sec. Of course, that can be fixed with suspension setup.

So which UEL? Currently, on my top list is @Gruppe-s' UEL header. They're quality is top notch and dyno to prove their product. Make it more great is their price. Their price is almost half of other product out there. Now, don't get me wrong, I love to have $800 TOMEI or $1000~$1500 Ace Header/PTUNING headers. They're great products... but after research after research, Gruppe-s header is within my budget to get what I'm looking for.

If you're interested in Gruppe-s' header, check their thread: Gruppe-S Unequal length headers

Currently, they're doing Black Friday sale, so if you're looking into buy new header, worth looking into.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Received this in the mail today. It's top quality for sure! Thanks @Gruppe-s

If you're wondering what it is, it's hubcentric caps for Weds tc105n. I'll be testing the fitting this weekend.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #23
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Are you still running Winmax W1s/W2s? Any reason for going with the less aggressive pads in the front?
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Are you still running Winmax W1s/W2s? Any reason for going with the less aggressive pads in the front?
TBH there are very small difference between w1 vs w2, just heat limit is major difference, so if you're more serious about Autox than just daily drive then go with w2/w2 or w3/w2 (which I'm planning to do next yr spring)

Anyways, few reasons I went w this setup is, less dust (almost no dust) means, less cleaning. Specially after hard Autox day, I barely have dusts from the front. Testing brake bias. Literally very small difference feel, but beginner this setup is actually fun and comfortable setup. Yes, you want front brake to be a bit more higher brake bias... but that doesn't mean you need that in daily or lil spirited drive. w1 is efficient enough to stop firmly enough for daily needs AND fun Autox days.

One of top Autox driver in my class co-drove my car one event & he was surprised with my current setup. We were pushing the car pretty hard, but brake didn't fade & balance of the car was superb. He was amazed I only had very minimal mods on this car & how much it can push & still easy to drive. Only complain he had was lack of power in certain area (TQ dip).

BUT I'll be honest there was an one event front brakes surpassed its limit of heat & gave up a bit... but to be fair, outside temp was near 120 w ground temp over 135. Other than that, it's been flawlessly working.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 AM   #25
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post

I was looking around and saw this DIY and it looked nice! Kept OEM look, which is total plus. Don't need any bling showing off my car. Keep it "look" OEM, but different enough to make my "own" looks and performance to it.

Now, there's still an issue with this. Because this isn't technically direct bolt-on and need to do few light custom work. Example is FXT vs BRZ water pipe are different design, as you can see the pic above (longer FXT, shorter BRZ). If some shop can weld one extra pipe into one side of BRZ water pipe and have everything as a oil cooler package and sell it for say... $400~$500, isn't that a win-win for everyone?

What do you guys think? Or any shop interested? Cuz if really do come out, you have 1st buyer here
I was looking into this and someone came up with a very simple solution which looks like has no kink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin View Post
I was really worried about the bend in the pipe causing the hose to get pinched. My solution was to shorted the OE heater hose by 3 inches:

and reroute it under all the other hoses. There is already a slight bend in the OE hose and shortening it brings the bend almost to where the hose bends.
Post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279

Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin View Post
I shortened the OE 5/8 heater hose in the back of the engine by 3 inches to bring the molded bend closer to the pipe. This prevented the hose from getting kinked.
Post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=27
Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #26
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I was looking into this and someone came up with a very simple solution which looks like has no kink:q

Post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279

Post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=27
Hey, long time no hear... well I feel like, haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you're doing good

Thanks, great info. Just cutting 3" of the hose to fit nicely to FXT pipe. Who knew. This made it more possible for me to make this happen.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #27
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
While waiting for this weekend's autox, here's one mod that I did earlier that I didn't post here...
Loving this build.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 01-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopyalien24 For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (01-15-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #28
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

I haven't posted here for a while... but here you, this weekend, had a chance to install simple/quick mod. Exhaust cover. So thought to give you guys quick review on it.

For a while, I was looking at exhaust cover, due to my exhaust setup (single exit). Currently, I only know FT-86 SpeedFactory and Innovated Dynamics makes cover for our car. I went with Innovated Dynamics. Why? biggest reason was weight. FT86SF cover is made out of steel vs ID cover is made out of poly-flex fiberglass, which makes it way lighter than steel. Of course, that came with higher price than FT86SF ($75 + shipping vs $65 + shipping), so I took the hit and bought ID's exhaust cover.

Now, let me say this. I regret buying it. Here are 3 reasons.

1. Quality
By any means, I'm not expecting 200% amazing quality parts. Very small scratch, I don't care... but WHOLE cover were covered with scratches and imperfections. I've circled some of them.

As you can see, there's a tons more if you look carefully. Specially in the middle there was 3~4" long scratch. Just letting you know, I took that photo right after I've taken out from the box. I didn't play football or baseball with it. It's a bit ridiculous.

Interesting one is on the back side

Why there's a huge dip/scratch? By any means, it's gonna be covered, so I won't see it... but it's not really fun to see those things.

2. Nuts & Bolts
This cover is hold down by 3 nuts and bolts. Cover have 3 holes and you align it up to the rear bumper and drill a holes and tight them down with nuts and bolts.

My favorite part of nuts and bolts is this.

How am I gonna tight that bolt? Their quality control is failing badly. Bolts were way too long as well. They didn't really care to figure anything out. Felt like they just found few nuts and bolts in the garage and just put it in.

Got a right measurements and went to Home Depot got better nuts, bolts & other stuff to secure the cover properly. Costed me extra $5, but I know, I can tight them down without worry about how I'm going to tight them.

3. Location
Kinda hard to explain, but while I was installing it, I notice that side bottom cover isn't really secured. only the top part is secured. Bottom wasn't really secured, so I decided to changed few things around.

As you can see from the photo, I drilled 2 extra holes and use that hole and nuts and bolts to be more flushed with the bumper.

Now, here's before and after photo.

Before

After

and here are several different angle photos

Now, I've complained almost whole post... but there are 2 positive to this cover. Cover was molded from the rear bumper, so it fit perfectly. Just securing location need to be better.

I stated at the beginning, but this cover is lighter than FT86SF's cover because it's poly-flex fiberglass, instead of steel.

Now, would I recommend to anyone? Nope, I can't recommend to anyone. unless, you're looking into for exhaust cover, look into FT-86SpeedFactory's cover. They're a bit heavier, but we're talking bout very small weight difference for very high quality parts.