follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiguy99 View Post
Soon I will be getting an ACE A 350 header to pair with my stock 19 TRD 86. The car has the TRD OE exhaust which sounds almost like a slightly quieter Perrin 2.5" or identical to the D shaped tip TRD exhaust..

Is a catless front pipe worth it? I am aware of the lack of advantages in power when it comes to a catless frontpipe. However, I like a loud car, but not too loud. I commute 140 miles a day, with a 100 miles of that cruising at around 68 mph (usually ) , and I don't want any rasp or ringing ears when I step out of the vehicle.

If it will not be that loud with the OE exhaust and ace header, is resonated worth it over catless?
I have the ace header and perrin 2.5 resonated with stock front pipe, it sounds nice.

I am/was thinking about getting a high flow front pipe, but with the catless header it smells. But not too bad, i just dont want to get pulled over, incase it gets a lot worse with the high flow

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #16
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can install either catless resonated or catted depending what you want.

If you go catless and resonated, in case midpipe is stock and muffler "big" you are not going to have any noise issues.

Same also applies if you go catted (200 cells) with a further advantage of lower fumes.

But what is more important in both cases is the diameter of the frontpipe (and overpipe). Our Stock 53 mm is way to restricting. Anything at the range of 60 mm will free the exhausts quite a lot and will make a pretty good torque curve. Check mine at below thread

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...=138176&page=4
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
There have been performance gains shown with a larger front pipe. Their ACE FP flares out to create a expansion chamber for some of the frequency's and some gains.

I am sometimes a cheep skate and just got a 70mm FP off ebay for like $70 bucks. Plus I didn't want the end of the pipe tapering back down to stock size. Matched perfectly with the 70mm piping of my Faction Fab TI exhaust. Its loud but I love the tone in the top end, plus its normal when highway Cruising.

Ive had a 4 setups with the Ace Headers so Far

- HKS dual Resonated FP, With HKS Legamax Catback
Great Sound, Catless Smell got to me. 60mm piping all the way through could be restriction.

-Invidia Catted FP, HKS Legamax Catback
Really one of my favorite Setups, Invidia FP High quality. Eventually I wanted to get lighter in Weight. 60mm piping all the way through could be restriction.

-Hooker Blackheart Catted FP w/Helmholtz Resonator, Borla Catback
Saved 10lbs off previous Setups, FP Cat Blew Out. Borla doesn't really sound right with this setup to me. Vacuum Cleaner type sound. Bigger piping at 63mm matches Ace outlet better.

-Straight Through Ebay 70mm FP, Faction Fab Ti Catback
30lbs lighter than stock! Most Free Flowing, doesn't taper down anywhere, 70mm all the way through. Louder in volume but tone is exotic in Higher RPMS. Lack of cat smell may get to me. Otherwise Love It I really enjoy driving the car more!

Ive basically gotten a little bit louder ,bigger piping,lighter, more flowing each time.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #18
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
For many years I had Openflash catless UEL, Perrin OP, Perrin catted front pipe, Perrin Cat Back - all resonated 2.5 inch. It sounded glorious, but when I turned 30 I kind of started craving some semblance of noise dampening.

First I removed the Perrin cat-back, installing the OEM to pass sound at Laguna. It worked but my car was so quiet, even with a full exhaust before the catback. When replacing the Perrin catback, I switched out the Perrin catted front pipe for the OEM front pipe and the sound is still there but now a great volume. I'm really hoping that I can pass sound with this setup at Laguna.

So to summarize - Catless Openflash UEL header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe, OEM front Pipe, Perrin 2.5 Catback. Great deep tone, reasonable volume for you in the car while still giving drivers around you something to love.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα

Last edited by Cjymiller; 01-27-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjymiller For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (12-14-2020), Teseo (01-01-2023)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #19
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
There have been performance gains shown with a larger front pipe. Their ACE FP flares out to create a expansion chamber for some of the frequency's and some gains.

I am sometimes a cheep skate and just got a 70mm FP off ebay for like $70 bucks. Plus I didn't want the end of the pipe tapering back down to stock size. Matched perfectly with the 70mm piping of my Faction Fab TI exhaust. Its loud but I love the tone in the top end, plus its normal when highway Cruising.

Ive had a 4 setups with the Ace Headers so Far

did you retune after each of these? i really wanna change around headers but im dynotuned and i really dont feel like paying $600 to retune for a used $400 header coming from stock
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #20
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
did you retune after each of these? i really wanna change around headers but im dynotuned and i really dont feel like paying $600 to retune for a used $400 header coming from stock
Well I think the topic here is what to pair up with the ACE 350 headers. Not sure where u got used ace headers for $400

To answer your question no did not retune after the catback changes.
- even though there may be improvements don't think it warrants a retune
- Really waiting to see how some of the intake manifolds out there play out, so I can retune everything at once
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
HaXx (01-25-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #21
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I bring back this old thread just to add that I have the ACE A350 headers with OEM front-midpipe and backbox mapped by Zach @CSG.
I am going to replace the OEM frontpipe with the HKS dual resonated one and let you know what, if any, difference it will have according to Ecutek torque and engine load curves.
Bear in mind that currently with the ACE headers there still is some tiny torque dip in the area of 3200-4400rpms and is the reason I want to free the frontpipe from catalyst just to flatten the torque curve.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JIM THEO For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-14-2020), gpvecchi (12-13-2020), Thefalls (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Have you considered the JDL ultra quiet? it has a High Flow Cat, Resonator, and is lighter than stock.

I have Catless header, Over, Catless but Resonated Front Pipe, and titanium single exit exhaust, it is very loud. I am considering getting the ultra quiet, I think it would make a difference having a high flow cat in there with keeping a loud exhaust tame
I have the JDL catted and resonated. It works well.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #23
Contender

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I say get the header on see what you think on sound then pull off the stock frontpipe and punch out the cat..still has a resonator. I'm full catless on my 2017 and I can't smell fumes unless I am standing behind the car. Cruise at 70 is not raspy at all. I get a lot of compliments on my exhaust. Berk muffler delete, stock header with the cat removed and a pipe welded in place, same for the frontpipe
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #24
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
I bring back this old thread just to add that I have the ACE A350 headers with OEM front-midpipe and backbox mapped by Zach @CSG.
I am going to replace the OEM frontpipe with the HKS dual resonated one and let you know what, if any, difference it will have according to Ecutek torque and engine load curves.
Bear in mind that currently with the ACE headers there still is some tiny torque dip in the area of 3200-4400rpms and is the reason I want to free the frontpipe from catalyst just to flatten the torque curve.
Will you get a new tune with the change in FP? How much does it cost for the retune?

I have the same setup but with perrin 2.5 in the back. Still debating on changing FP if it gives better throttle response and flatter curve but don't want any more smells. Exhaust smell is nasty even with catted FP.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #25
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Will you get a new tune with the change in FP? How much does it cost for the retune?

I have the same setup but with perrin 2.5 in the back. Still debating on changing FP if it gives better throttle response and flatter curve but don't want any more smells. Exhaust smell is nasty even with catted FP.
I haven't finished my remap with Zach so no extra charge for me.
My personal opinion based on a friends dyno is that it helps especially in torque dip and throttle response, otherwise I don't expect miracles from a frontpipe, currently running the OEM frontpipe so no smell after the first 5-10 min of heating the engine.
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
LePianoMan

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 base (raven)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post

How is this? I’m looking at the power package from CSG, 350A headers, flex fuel, and thinking about getting the ACE SS FP. Without the front pipe, I’m considering selling my N1 since I’m going EL rather than UEL and thinking about buying a Perrin 2.5” catback...looks like the FP adds a decent value performance wise so it’s really tempting. Mainly just wanna know how the headers are w that catback though!
LePianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #27
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePianoMan View Post
How is this? I’m looking at the power package from CSG, 350A headers, flex fuel, and thinking about getting the ACE SS FP. Without the front pipe, I’m considering selling my N1 since I’m going EL rather than UEL and thinking about buying a Perrin 2.5” catback...looks like the FP adds a decent value performance wise so it’s really tempting. Mainly just wanna know how the headers are w that catback though!
Sorry for late response, haven't been here in awhile. The ACEA350 headers with perrin 2.5" catback are an incredible combination. It is the perfect level of noise with deep growl in the low end and loud in the high end. No rasp, no drone, and no cheap fart can sound. The ecutek tune by Zach is working wonderfully so far, I just regret not getting the FF kit from them when it was at discount during christmas. Now it is backordered and who knows when they'll come back.

Not sure about the front pipe and I don't think I care at this point, the cat in the FP is the last line of defense against exhaust smell and excessive noise, I'll probably leave it there for the life of the car. Highly recommend getting that power package Piano Man.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #28
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
For many years I had Openflash catless UEL, Perrin OP, Perrin catted front pipe, Perrin Cat Back - all resonated 2.5 inch. It sounded glorious, but when I turned 30 I kind of started craving some semblance of noise dampening.

First I removed the Perrin cat-back, installing the OEM to pass sound at Laguna. It worked but my car was so quiet, even with a full exhaust before the catback. When replacing the Perrin catback, I switched out the Perrin catted front pipe for the OEM front pipe and the sound is still there but now a great volume. I'm really hoping that I can pass sound with this setup at Laguna.

So to summarize - Catless Openflash UEL header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe, OEM front Pipe, Perrin 2.5 Catback. Great deep tone, reasonable volume for you in the car while still giving drivers around you something to love.
Thanks for writting this. I have felt the same way since I turned 30 as well. Going to throw on my OEM FP this weekend.