follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #15
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Doesn't matter how many people know how to drive MT that doesn't mean they would buy them.
They stopped makin them because people stopped buying them. Simple.
Or, people stopped buying them because they stopped making them. 0% of C8s are manual transmissions. It went from 26.55% to 0% in one year. That wasn't because demand dropped to 0%.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...e-c7-corvette/

Quote:
Of the nearly 200,000 C7s produced, the total take-rate for manual transmissions was 50,611 or 26.55%. The low-sounding percentage is one of the talking points that Tadge & Co use to justify their switch to a one transmission strategy on the C8.
Chevy could have made a manual too, but that would have cost more money, and maybe it would have required a chassis change just for the manual, and they might have had to crash test them both and spend millions investing in two powertrains instead of just one, so they decided to drop the manual despite demand and just offer a cheaper Corvette with a single option.

This isn't an isolated example.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Actually, I don't believe there is a demand. There is a desire greater than 2% perhaps but even if it's twice as much, we are only talking 4% of car sales.

In the end, like a lot of products, there are those that will take it only one way (in this case, only MT or only AT) and there are those that take either,. I think the DEMAND is the 2% we see because you really have to go out of your way any more to get it.

The MT group isn't large enough for a manufacturer to care. They aren't losing sales because they don't have an MT (or if they are its a rounding error). They will lose potential sales if they do not have an AT on the lot, at least at the dealership level.

I'm in the AT/MT agnostic group. I can drive either, I'll buy either, and it really isn't a deciding factor in my car buying. In fact, the ONLY time I've intentionally selected the AT over the MT was with the 86, and that was only after a test drive at the Long Beach 86 event where I drove them back to back. The MT felt like any MT I had ever driven, but the AT was the best one I had ever driven, so I picked the AT.
My wife has an automatic, but I have two manual transmission vehicles: my BRZ and my Ducati. I despise driving the Q5 for any long period of time, except for the highway. It has body roll. Even in dynamic mode, it is constantly looking for gears. I don't get the appeal, and I couldn't drive an automatic for my daily driver. I would need to be in LA and driving 1-2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic every day to even ponder the idea, so yes, I am that 2% that the transmission is a deal breaker for me, and I agree that for the vast majority of people, there is no preference. Many people settle for the color they don't want, or they trim they don't want, or the transmission. Many people here are perfectly happy with the auto, but they intended on buying a manual transmission. I am guilty of doing the same with a rare hardtop MKIV Supra that I intended to replace with a manual down the road. I'm sure there is more demand for an automatic over a manual transmission than a manual over an automatic just because of the learning curve, and most people are willing to pay the premium for an automatic than learn to drive a manual, but it is also a matter of lack of options. People would settle for a manual transmission just as they would settle for an automatic if a lot was full of manuals, or they were set on a red car, and they had to settle on a manual to get a red car because that is all that the dealer had on the lot.

I guess the question to ask is if the manual transmission rate in other countries is so high, is that because you believe there is large demand for a manual transmission, or do you believe that the supply of manuals is high, so the take is high?

I'm also a used car buyer. I would rather buy a slightly-used, seasoned, proven car from a reliable buyer than buy new car and pay the premium. As such is the case, I don't contribute to the demand for manual transmissions. I have to rely on other buyers to create the demand. As the average car gets more expensive, and as the average buyer of new cars get older, the take rate for manual transmissions will drop that much more. For instance, is it any surprise that the percentage of buyers who chose a manual BRZ was higher than the percentage of buyers who chose a manual C7? Probably not, considering that the average age of the buyers of the Corvette are older. This makes it hard to find a used car that has a manual transmission because the demand is higher for used car buyers who tend to be younger and supply is proportionally less.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/...smission-take/

Just to add another factor, this country has lost the sedan and estate car in favor of SUVs and crossovers, which could also have something to do with the fall of the manual transmission. My buddy had a Tacoma with a manual transmission, and it had the longest throws ever. Tall, upright seat-heights don't make for the best manual experiences.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #17
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I guess the question to ask is if the manual transmission rate in other countries is so high, is that because you believe there is large demand for a manual transmission, or do you believe that the supply of manuals is high, so the take is high?.
Honestly, I don't think there is any way to know. The problem is there are only a very small percentage of cars that are ordered by the customer (is it even 1%?). They take what is on the lot, which means we buy what the manufacturers think we want but not what we really want. The only true way to know would be if a large number of buyers ordered rather than take spec-built cars from the lot.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #18
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think there is any way to know. The problem is there are only a very small percentage of cars that are ordered by the customer (is it even 1%?). They take what is on the lot, which means we buy what the manufacturers think we want but not what we really want. The only true way to know would be if a large number of buyers ordered rather than take spec-built cars from the lot.
It is much higher than that, or at least, I have read it is around 15% of new vehicle sales, but I don't know what that represents, or rather, I don't know how broad that number represents. Regardless, I don't know what we could learn from statistics derived from factory orders. The percentage of cars that are dealer w/ buyer ordered versus dealer w/o buyer ordered are higher as the cost of the car goes up, so more Caymans than BRZs and more 911s than Caymans. I bring that up because that fact would skew the data. Why? Because older people buy more expensive cars and more expensive cars tend to be more luxury leaning, so old people buy more automatics and luxury vehicles over economy vehicles tend to have more automatics. You can't even buy a manual transmission with most luxury brands like Audi. Hence, the data would look distorted and skewed by up-market trends.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...smission-cars/

Again, I go back to the other countries: if we lack demand for manuals here, or if we demand automatics here, then is it that the people in these other countries demand manuals, or are both options just equally on the lots, so they chose either because they are indifferent?
Dadhawk (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #19
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I always seem to meet a lot of people who drive manual or enjoy it. Yet the increase in nannies basically says the majority, or perceived majority, are lazy as fuck. That's why we have lane keep assists, back up cameras, braking assist, ect. Shit, that's all the nanny stuff you used to see in video games. Now it's real life O_o
Either way, I will buy a manual transmission till they are extinct. Not when people think they will be, but when I physically cannot.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:38 AM   #20
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I always seem to meet a lot of people who drive manual or enjoy it. Yet the increase in nannies basically says the majority, or perceived majority, are lazy as fuck. That's why we have lane keep assists, back up cameras, braking assist, ect. Shit, that's all the nanny stuff you used to see in video games. Now it's real life O_o
Either way, I will buy a manual transmission till they are extinct. Not when people think they will be, but when I physically cannot.
Eventually a drivers test will just be one question:
"which button turns on the car"

And you have 4 multiple choice options....and sadly, i believe there will still be enough people getting that wrong....
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #21
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

Im here because I need help,
my name is Red,

I will only drive standard,
People think I have become a manual snob.

Reading these dire statistics have been
causing me exedy more shudders when I think
about what my next purchase has 2B.

At this point Im even considering changing
my name to Amanuelle as it won’t matter
how its done anymore in the future.

Is there hope I can be saved?
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #22
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Dealers historically were incentivized to up-sell an automatic because they were more expensive. Manufacturers are incentivized to sell cars with the best gas mileage, which is currently CVTs and 9-speed automatics. Look at the cars that are offered with a manual, and chances are the cars are only offered in the base trim or lowest trim levels. This is because manuals were deemed to be for those who are budget conscious. It is also why some countries still have a high take for manual transmissions--$1,500 extra for an automatic can be a lot.

I'm not saying there isn't less demand today than in the past; there is definitely less demand. Even if every model and every trim offered a manual transmission, the automatics would have more demand today than in the past and more demand than the manual too. Partially this is because a manual has a higher learning curve. Partially this is because the automatics have gotten so much better, and even are better than manuals from a performance perspective. Partially this is because American's commute a lot and like their autos in bumper to bumper traffic.

What I am saying is that the demand for manual transmissions is higher than the 2% of non-sports cars that get sold with a manual. What I am saying is that there are obstacles getting into a manual, so demand is higher than the take rate. See below:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...-transmission/

Ive talked to so many people that want a manual but when they can’t find one on a lot they end up settling for an auto. They want a manual but not enough to fight for one. It’s crazy to think these obstacles don’t impact take rates.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-02-2021), Irace86.2.0 (03-02-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (03-02-2021), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (03-02-2021), weederr33 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:37 AM   #23
ermax

Quote:

Manufactures would rather make one platform so as long as manual buyers aren’t walking away and refusing to settle for an auto then they will continue to only put autos on the lot and then pretend they didn’t know people actually want manual but can’t find them.

Also, why would an identical car (86 vs BRZ) have such dramatically different stats on manual sales unless it’s related to what they put on the lots.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #24
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
Hi,

Im here because I need help,
my name is Red,

I will only drive standard,
People think I have become a manual snob.

Reading these dire statistics have been
causing me exedy more shudders when I think
about what my next purchase has 2B.

At this point Im even considering changing
my name to Amanuelle as it won’t matter
how its done anymore in the future.

Is there hope I can be saved?

Haha?
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
The Red One (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
LOL to the "I talked to many people and they all want MTs" theme.
Talking to other car "enthusiasts" and saying they all agree is not a great sample. It is like going down to the local sailing club and asking if sail is better than power boats. Try going to your local mall and asking random people what they want and I bet you get a totally different response.
The very fact that they still offer and sell many MT cars in other markets would show that they would sell them here as well if there was more demand. The demand just isn't worth their while and THEY know it.
I love MT and will be sad to see them all go but I am not presumptuous enough to think that because a handful of people want them (in the big picture) that they are going to keep selling them.

Lament the downfall of the manual but don't try to blame the manufacturers for a purely North Americian mindset!
Dadhawk (03-02-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (03-02-2021), soundman98 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #26
ermax

Quote:
Talking to other car "enthusiasts" and saying they all agree is not a great sample. It is like going down to the local sailing club and asking if sail is better than power boats. Try going to your local mall and asking random people what they want and I bet you get a totally different response.
The very fact that they still offer and sell many MT cars in other markets would show that they would sell them here as well if there was more demand. The demand just isn't worth their while and THEY know it.
I love MT and will be sad to see them all go but I am not presumptuous enough to think that because a handful of people want them (in the big picture) that they are going to keep selling them.

Lament the downfall of the manual but don't try to blame the manufacturers for a purely North Americian mindset!

I assume you are quoting me. My core group of friends all met racing so I toss out their opinions because we are all %100 on the same page regarding manuals. I’m referring to family members and coworkers that aren’t heavily into cars.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #27
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

For my claim, it's not just enthusiasts. It's clients and coworkers who are simple, mundane people. They just like the enjoyment of rowing their own and are far from an 'enthusiast'. But yes, coming here to say we want manual is preaching to the choir.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #28
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
For my claim, it's not just enthusiasts. It's clients and coworkers who are simple, mundane people. They just like the enjoyment of rowing their own and are far from an 'enthusiast'. But yes, coming here to say we want manual is preaching to the choir.

The decline of manuals makes me think of another trend
happening that of automakers pulling the plug on the
whole segment of cheap small cars in NA. Yaris, Fit,
Micra, Fiesta, Focus, Cruze, Mazda2, smart4two,
Fiat 500,Sonic, Beetle, All gone!

To some this is no great loss.
Its not coincidental a lot of those were bought without
the Aught-too-matic option to keep the price down…

In the Crosstrek tread I mentioned 2 people not getting any
support from their local dealer when inquiring for a manual.
What I did not mention was these 2 people were 2 older
ladies in their early 60's who still have active lifestyles
and can still appreciate a manual.

The local dealer’s sales bluff backfired on him when they
both did a the 1000KM trip (or 500KM one way) to the
neighbouring town where that Suby dealer was quite happy
to get them each one. Definitely not your typical car/SUV
buyers to go to this effort to get what they really wanted.

Last edited by The Red One; 03-02-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Looked up the mileage and comes to 574 Km or close to 7Hr trip for them...
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote