follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Don@Accelerated

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 1,162 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This intercooler is quite small. I'd be suprised if that was 10lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
That's a fair point but plenty of turbocharged cars come with factory front mounted intercoolers (including a few toyotas). Sure, it does come into consideration though, perhaps weight distribution does also as an intercooler in that position adds a chunk of weight in front of the axle.
Don@Accelerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Don@Accelerated

Well the car already doesn't want to get up to temperature for starters. The I/C is not completely filling the the front bumper area. I don't think we'll have any issues with airflow. I've been driving it with the intercooler blocking that area for a few days and I haven't noticed anything yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_frs View Post
considering that subby likes top mounts and toyota likes side mount i can see how they claim they couldnt find a spot for it, and considering the way radiator only gets air from the lower grill im gonna go and assume they didnt wanna try a front mount because of the restriction of airfolow to the radiator...intercooler-ac condenser-radiator, yes it may still get its air but not the same fresh air it would normally get, no i dont see any issues with this setup just trying to see in from the manufaturers view
The Following User Says Thank You to Don@Accelerated For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (07-24-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
spiller

Drives: JZA70 Supra, Lancer Evo 5, 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don@Accelerated View Post
This intercooler is quite small. I'd be suprised if that was 10lbs.
Then toyobaru were taking us for a ride with their comments
spiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
Don@Accelerated

Well as far as a factory engine goes. The basic kit will be low boost and a marginal gain. The 12.5 compression does not scare me at all. I have a few toyota engines that are 11-12:1 that make nearly 1600whp. The problem I have with the stock subaru design is the upper most ringland at the valve relief. It looks like trouble from an engine builders perspective.

I have considered the basic kit being upgradable just by adding a remote fuel system w/ e98 or e85 capabilities just for boost fuel enrichment. (This of course would be the stock engine internals) Should allow a far amount of increase over the std pump gas fuel.

Now for the persons who are real serious, we'll just use our drop in pistons we have. I'm also in the process of Billet drop in connecting rods as well.

-Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
I know you don't have all the answers
yet but I am curious as to what your going to do about the 12.5 to 1 compression issue. Do you think it will be a bolt on with piston swap?
or just low boost???????
Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
Don@Accelerated

Quote:
Then toyobaru were taking us for a ride with their comments

Without cutting the front bumper support. Theres no real room for even a 500hp core intercooler. For the purpose of this kit, I'm going to make it 100% no cutting involved.

I can remember when I had my greddy front mount for my wrx. I had to hack a brand new car all to hell and it pissed me off. Now for those persons who are going to do pistons and rods. We'll be hacking that sucker up
Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
spiller

Drives: JZA70 Supra, Lancer Evo 5, 86 GTS
Yeah I really like the sound of a kit that doesnt involve any cutting. It seems a shame to take to a nice new car like that, even if you are already forcing air down its lungs!

I have no experience with F.I. on high comp motors but I guess running it on corn juice would be a very sensible way to run higher boost levels without as much risk of detonation? Could you fit a thicker head gasket to lower the comp ratio?
spiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Nice. Love the turbos

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
slow_frs

Drives: turbo scion tc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Well as far as a factory engine goes. The basic kit will be low boost and a marginal gain. The 12.5 compression does not scare me at all. I have a few toyota engines that are 11-12:1 that make nearly 1600whp. The problem I have with the stock subaru design is the upper most ringland at the valve relief. It looks like trouble from an engine builders perspective.

I have considered the basic kit being upgradable just by adding a remote fuel system w/ e98 or e85 capabilities just for boost fuel enrichment. (This of course would be the stock engine internals) Should allow a far amount of increase over the std pump gas fuel.

Now for the persons who are real serious, we'll just use our drop in pistons we have. I'm also in the process of Billet drop in connecting rods as well.

-Don
so for the basic bolt n you will likely use some maf trickery =P(smaller maf housing) and for the mild you will use a fuel injector in the intake for e85 =D hmmim pretty good with this
slow_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
slow_frs

for those that dont know, making the size of the maf housing smaller makes the ecu read MORE incoming air thus allowing more fuel to be added, as well as it retards timing
Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
Don@Accelerated

No i'm not planning on using any kinds of a smaller inlet. The compressor inlet is 3" just like the factory and I intend to still keep it that way if allowable.

Quote:
so for the basic bolt n you will likely use some maf trickery =P(smaller maf housing) and for the mild you will use a fuel injector in the intake for e85 =D hmmim pretty good with this
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Don@Accelerated

You could, but i'm pretty sure the piston is going to be a weakpoint. It would most likely require a HG to thick to bump down far enough. We'd be talking about 4mm+

Quote:
Yeah I really like the sound of a kit that doesnt involve any cutting. It seems a shame to take to a nice new car like that, even if you are already forcing air down its lungs!

I have no experience with F.I. on high comp motors but I guess running it on corn juice would be a very sensible way to run higher boost levels without as much risk of detonation? Could you fit a thicker head gasket to lower the comp ratio?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
slow_frs

oh ok well ive been debating slapping on, one of my many old turbos that ive ran on my tc running bout 5-6psi and using a SAFC to make the maf think more air, i only plan on fabbing this up testing then ditching it i dont see it being the reliable way in the long run but will be nice for the week of testing
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
Don@Accelerated

Just wait a little while. I'll put together something real nice everyone can enjoy reliably.

Don

Quote:
oh ok well ive been debating slapping on, one of my many old turbos that ive ran on my tc running bout 5-6psi and using a SAFC to make the maf think more air, i only plan on fabbing this up testing then ditching it i dont see it being the reliable way in the long run but will be nice for the week of testing
The Following User Says Thank You to Don@Accelerated For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (07-05-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

-Don
Don, which aftermarket pistons fit our car?
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accelerated performance, brz forum, brz forums, brz turbo, brz turbo kit, fr-s turbo, fr-s turbo kit, frs turbo, frs turbo kit, scion fr-s turbo, scion fr-s turbo kit, scion fr-s turbocharger, scion frs turbo, scion frs turbo kit, scion frs turbocharger, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz turbo, subaru brz turbo kit, subaru brz turbocharger