follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 AM   #1
kzale1249

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Deep scratches by body shop after repair

Hi guys,

This is my first experience with a body shop repairing my car. I went in to get my rocker panel repaired after I curbed it pretty badly. I went to a pretty reputable body shop (Aldercrest in Lynnwood, WA). I'm not here to talk sh*t about them but rather, I need advice on how to deal with it. And to be honest, they did a very good job repairing and repainting the panels.

After the repair I had a couple deep scratches that I can feel with my finger nail which I'm very sure it wasn't there before the repair. Also, I noticed there are a couple spec of dust on the paint that causes bubbling. I know that these are small details but it bothers me a lot. If anyone has experienced this before please help me out.

Thank you,
Tom
Attached Images

Last edited by kzale1249; 02-26-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: adding more details
kzale1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Be honest with them about it and see what they have to say. Be calm when discussing it with them. I had a similar incident few months ago. I was pissed but was very calm in discussing the issues. End result was I was given a full refund plus the shop paid for the over spray removal and to recoat ceramic coating parts on parts of my car.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
If this is a reputable shop, they'll fix those with no extra charge.

Because I'm paranoid, I do a walkaround of my car with phone in hand taking pics and video before handing the keys to a shop (or even dealership). You'll never know what will happen...
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
kzale1249

Garage
Thank you for sharing your experience, I also had some overspray issues and also some dust were visible below the clear coat and also signs of dripping (paint drying while its dripping, maybe caused by too much paint at one area). I really hope they would do the same for me as they did for you because im really pissed
Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzale1249 View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first experience with a body shop repairing my car. If anyone has experienced this before please help me out.

Thank you,
Tom
I suggest you just take it in to them and explain your concerns. As best as I can see, they can "buff them out".

They most likely will try to make you happy ...... since they don't really want a pissed off customer spreading the word.

Hey, after all, it's a CAR ...... not your SO's face ...... keep that in mind .....you will live longer ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
kzale1249

Garage
Additional Pictures

Here are additional pictures taken with a proper camera:
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #7
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzale1249 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience, I also had some overspray issues and also some dust were visible below the clear coat and also signs of dripping (paint drying while its dripping, maybe caused by too much paint at one area). I really hope they would do the same for me as they did for you because im really pissed
The overspray I had was white paint on the entire drivers side, roof & front hood, & side view mirror. Oh, & the shop also damaged my front bumper from scratching it when they replaced my front badge. Paint dribble can be seen if you look closely. The shop didn't say anything to me about the front bumper.

Bite the bullet & be calm when discussing your issues. It'll help you get what you want. Put your concerns in writing & give it to them. Documentation is good to have. Good luck. I hope your issues can be resolved.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repaint, repair, rocker panel, scratches