follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Program a new OEM Smart Key - HELP!

I have two working smart keys, one is failing. So I bought a new OEM one off eBay for like 80 bucks. I plugged in my cable and booted up Techstream, it connects and works fine.

When I go to program the key, it pops up the checklist, I check off all the boxes, and then click next and after three seconds it fails.

I'm not sure I'm doing steps right with which key is supposed to be in the car to begin with maybe? Also will be replacing all batteries just in case.

Anyone get this working successfully and have step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
I have two working smart keys, one is failing. So I bought a new OEM one off eBay for like 80 bucks. I plugged in my cable and booted up Techstream, it connects and works fine.

When I go to program the key, it pops up the checklist, I check off all the boxes, and then click next and after three seconds it fails.

I'm not sure I'm doing steps right with which key is supposed to be in the car to begin with maybe? Also will be replacing all batteries just in case.

Thanks!
I didn't even know you could do that. I guess it gets programmed somehow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
There is a security protocol that only the dealer can do. If anybody could just plug into Techstream and program a key it would be one messed up system and car would disappear left and right.
Did you change the battery in your old one before moving forward with anything else?
ElijahF (03-03-2020), Leonardo (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
michaelahess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is a security protocol that only the dealer can do. If anybody could just plug into Techstream and program a key it would be one messed up system and car would disappear left and right.
Did you change the battery in your old one before moving forward with anything else?
I did not. I'm betting that's part of the problem. From what I've seen on youtube, the only time the dealer needs to be involved is if you've lost all keys and need the super secret key from Toyota.

In this case, having a master existing key, allows the activation of additional keys via Techstream without any other bs. Another thread on here shows how all that works with a Lexus as an example. I see you posted there as well, https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...37&postcount=4

So either, this is just dead batteries, or a previously programmed key, or I have the steps wrong, which is what my hope is/was the problem.

Curious if ANYONE on here has done this and succeeded before?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
I did not. I'm betting that's part of the problem. From what I've seen on youtube, the only time the dealer needs to be involved is if you've lost all keys and need the super secret key from Toyota.

In this case, having a master existing key, allows the activation of additional keys via Techstream without any other bs. Another thread on here shows how all that works with a Lexus as an example. I see you posted there as well, https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...37&postcount=4

So either, this is just dead batteries, or a previously programmed key, or I have the steps wrong, which is what my hope is/was the problem.

Curious if ANYONE on here has done this and succeeded before?
Meh It won't work. Not a Lexus key. Maybe starting at the basics such as a battery is a good idea.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
michaelahess

Quote:
Meh It won't work. Not a Lexus key. Maybe starting at the basics such as a battery is a good idea.
No it's not a Lexus key, it's an identical 2012 Subaru key, with a manufacture date only 3 months ahead of my originals.

The Lexus thing is the just the process, which is the same, and Techstream is the same software used for the F-RS.

I'll be getting new batteries tonight to see if that helps.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
No it's not a Lexus key, it's an identical 2012 Subaru key, with a manufacture date only 3 months ahead of my originals.

The Lexus thing is the just the process, which is the same, and Techstream is the same software used for the F-RS.

I'll be getting new batteries tonight to see if that helps.
read the Subaru instructions I attached to the thread you quoted. It isn't just for replacing missing keys it is for cutting and programing all keys. You need access to the paid locksmithing site that they reference to get the codes.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
michaelahess

Quote:
read the Subaru instructions I attached to the thread you quoted. It isn't just for replacing missing keys it is for cutting and programing all keys. You need access to the paid locksmithing site that they reference to get the codes.
I'm curious about this part:

" This document identifies the equipment required to
initialize (reset) the immobilizer code and cut the key blanks, for both immobilizer and
non-immobilizer type keys."

and

"Instructions for Immobilizer re-initialization for keys, etc., can be found in the applicable
immobilizer manual on STIS."

I'm not re-initializing anything, that would be if all keys are lost. In this case, a new OEM key is "virgin" and wouldn't need this. This is only required if a new ECU is installed and has to be programmed from scratch, or a key that was already programmed to a car, needs to be re-programmed.

Who knows, maybe I'm taking it all too literally?
Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
I'm curious about this part:

" This document identifies the equipment required to
initialize (reset) the immobilizer code and cut the key blanks, for both immobilizer and
non-immobilizer type keys."

and

"Instructions for Immobilizer re-initialization for keys, etc., can be found in the applicable
immobilizer manual on STIS."

I'm not re-initializing anything, that would be if all keys are lost. In this case, a new OEM key is "virgin" and wouldn't need this. This is only required if a new ECU is installed and has to be programmed from scratch, or a key that was already programmed to a car, needs to be re-programmed.

Who knows, maybe I'm taking it all too literally?
Even replacing an existing (not lost) key requires the system to "initialize" the immobilizer function. The virgin key still needs to have this done.
The dealer wants a pile of cash to do this but they sort have you over a barrel since you do not have access to the program. A good locksmith would probably have access and cost less.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
michaelahess

Quote:
Even replacing an existing (not lost) key requires the system to "initialize" the immobilizer function. The virgin key still needs to have this done.
The dealer wants a pile of cash to do this but they sort have you over a barrel since you do not have access to the program. A good locksmith would probably have access and cost less.
Yeah, that's a good interpretation. In my world, initialize means to wipe clean and start over though, not just activate.

I'm going to hit up Ace next if batteries don't work, as they say they can do this for 60% less than a dealer; and support this car and year. Not that I hold out hope of Ace ever being a "good deal"!
Old 03-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
michaelahess

Well I got new batteries, all three fob's are working, the new one still won't join. However I think it's a techstream issue, after selecting smart keys and clicking the registration link, you get a checklist, after that, it fails, with the original key in the car only. It should verify the key, so I think it's the software or cable.

I can program everything else under the sun.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has done this. I've had a techstream cable and used it since I bought the car in 2012, just never needed this one feature.