follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #99
xyos

Drives: 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
I'll throw my two cents in this. I'm 57 years old and have owned and have driven many truely desirable cars over the years. I currently have an '06 VW GTI/DSG which has been one of the nicest all around cars I've ever owned. I've always wanted a Porsche 911 (air-cooled). Found a very low mileage example six years ago, its a 1989 Carrera 3.2 coupe. The last of the torsion bar cars. It is a blast to drive and full of charactor. No it is not fast based on todays standards. But in 1985-89 it was one of the quickest cars you could buy. I'll always have this car. It has drama, sounds, smells, handling quirks and just look at it!

I've driven many late model Porsche 911's and while they are great and and if I could afford one I'd might have one, but no lost love not having one. Fast, yes...great handling, yes but somewhat sterile.

I take up all opportunities to drive neat cars, new and used. Last year had a chance to drive a C6-Z06. It was a trade at the local Chevy dealer. They know me so I was given the keys and out I went. Massive power and plently of drama as you seem to mention in your last video. This car would break the rears loose in second gear from 2500 rpm. It was simply one of the most powerful cars I've driven. But in the end after driving it for an hour and about 40 miles I knew I'd get tired of it after a few months (also see below comment). I've driven many C6 Vettes before and after this but for me the biggest let down is the crappy seats. There is no way (for me) that I could sit in the seats more than an hour.

Just before doing my March 1st pre-order on the BRZ I was this close to ordering a '13 GT500 Shelby Mustang. I'd driven a demo '12 model and was and thought this is a really fantastic car and the '13 with 650HP would be just amazing. About a week before March 1st I started to doubt my thought to order a GT500. Drove a demo '12 GT Mustang that was on a lot nearby (I know its not close to a GT500!) and started to realize that the GT500 at almost $70,000 the way I'd order one was not worth it to me. Even a GT at mid to high $30's seemed doubtful. Don't get me wrong...both Mustangs represent great value on a bang for the buck but in the end the cheap cabin and the size/feel just was not what I was looking for.

Then comes along the BRZ. I placed order on March 1st did a lot of folks here. Then as people got their cars some spoke of the torque dip and weak power. I thought that I probably would not like the car. Then after what seemed forever my car arrives June 13th. Headed to dealer to look it over and take out for a drive before deciding to purchase.

Now this what what I'm looking for. Light, small... scalpel like. I bought it. Since then as the miles pile on (at 1500 now) I've pushed the rev limit higher and just love the sound and feel of the car and engine as it approaches 6,000+ rpm. The whole car is the package! So much like the Lotus Elise I drove a couple of years ago. You can grab it by the scruff of its neck and just throw it about. Love it! A blast! Will I get tired of it? Perhaps, then I'll look at the field and drive some cars again. I used to suffer from the grass is greener on the other side of the fence like you mention. I usuall fix that with a drive in a demo car.

No its not fast but it is not slow. I too have a torque memory in my GTI! The GTI is so torquey and squirty it is really neat to drive. Since getting my BRZ and after not driving my GTI for a few days, the GTI almost at first feels like a 5 series BMW!

In the end all I can say is you have to satisfy your own desires in what a car needs to be.
sorry to go off topic but the GTI is insanely fun to drive, you can take corners at incredibly fast speeds and its the boost off the line is so fun, but once you get up to speed it slows down
xyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #100
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyos View Post
sorry to go off topic but the GTI is insanely fun to drive, you can take corners at incredibly fast speeds and its the boost off the line is so fun, but once you get up to speed it slows down
You bet it is! I love the torque this thing has. With the DSG trans it just picks up and goes down the road clicking off super quick and seamless shifts. Also got to love the braaap... between shifts from the exhuast.

That said I would not want this powertrain in my BRZ. I love the engine in the BRZ and holding on to a gear at part throttle and letting the revs climb is just fantastic.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #101
brzninja

Drives: 2015 WRB WRX Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Dude, someone is stealing your videos. Just wanted to let you know.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW9U8HJ_N2c"]My New Subaru BRZ First Drive and Delivery - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #102
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks a lot for bringing that to my attention. Filed a copyright infringement notification with YouTube, it should be taken down soon. Sad to say I see this fairly often on my videos.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #103
naticedog04

Drives: 02 RSX-type s(sold) 99 Civic CX
Been reading ur stuff for a while brah... Gotta tell u my opinion and insight says u want more power plain and simply... U have not been satisfied with the stock form... Reaching the power band is too much work for u... U haven't found an exhaust u like... Aftermarket, ready available, r&d turbos/superchargers are a couple of years away... Just get the mustang and complain on their forums about "how u had a BRZ and u weren't satisfied"... Im sure a lot of them will understand... Its all about the power, plain and simple... Heres some advise... Know who u are and know what u want... It will make life a lot more easy... Glad u "tried" the BRZ, but reading all ur stuff, it aint for u...
naticedog04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #104
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naticedog04 View Post
Been reading ur stuff for a while brah... Gotta tell u my opinion and insight says u want more power plain and simply... U have not been satisfied with the stock form... Reaching the power band is too much work for u... U haven't found an exhaust u like... Aftermarket, ready available, r&d turbos/superchargers are a couple of years away... Just get the mustang and complain on their forums about "how u had a BRZ and u weren't satisfied"... Im sure a lot of them will understand... Its all about the power, plain and simple... Heres some advise... Know who u are and know what u want... It will make life a lot more easy... Glad u "tried" the BRZ, but reading all ur stuff, it aint for u...
I agree with this guy. You have your own perception of respectable power/torque and put value into it to some extent. And your Legacy is influencing your perception.

I drive an SX4 (150hp/150tq 2880 lbs) daily which is tall, has a bus driver-like upright seating position, and is a fun/adventurous car. When I sink down into the BRZ, there is a more serious, performance-oriented tone. I get pushed into my seat with appreciably more "oomph" compared to my SX4. The engine has its share of signature, unrefined noises. I feel like I'm piloting a spacecraft that was hacked together in a crafty engineer's underground lab. The shifter vibrates like my G35 did (which I sold last year for my SX4). The stiff suspension is jarring yet occasionally demonstrates a floaty softness over certain surfaces. And it has some '90s/early 2000s Toyota sports car character. Every time I drive my BRZ is a special event.

A car is a machine and has no soul. Associating a character to a car is subjectively based on how you were brought up. I was raised on Toyota sports cars from the '80s, '90s, and 2000s so my mind references those cars when I characterize the BRZ. You seem to have more European/American cars in your thought process. Perhaps your mind fails to see character in the BRZ because certain psychological filters prevent you from seeing it.

If I still had my G35, my perspective on the BRZ would be drastically different. I'd be unhappy with both cars, wanting the G to handle like a scalpel and the BRZ to thrust me forward at every stab of the throttle. The character of your Legacy resides in your mind, fresh and constant. It's subliminally affecting your view of the BRZ. Either sell the Legacy for something with less oomph or carefully mod the BRZ (but getting it to a respectable power level reliably may be tough to do per Max Schnell's account). Or just get the Mustang. It seems to have the performance/character combination you're looking for out of the box.

Last edited by switchlanez; 07-10-2012 at 03:11 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (07-11-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #105
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Hey Subaruwrxfan,

Just checking in to see what your thoughts are now. I know last time you liked the car but did not love it. Please disregard some of the recent rubbish postings from some trolls.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #106
stalon320

Drives: Scion FR-S coming 2013!
LOVE your car!! Congrats!! I have to ask though.. can you get the Limited without the Spoiler? I'm just not a fan of that spoiler.. like the duckbill.. just wanted to see if it came with a delete spoiler option on the BRZ

Countdown to Spring 2013- FR-S A/T in either Argento or Raven
stalon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #107
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalon320 View Post
LOVE your car!! Congrats!! I have to ask though.. can you get the Limited without the Spoiler? I'm just not a fan of that spoiler.. like the duckbill.. just wanted to see if it came with a delete spoiler option on the BRZ
You might be able to delete it, or swap trunks with a premium car, I personally love it.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #108
Subaruwrxfan

Also, just passed 4,000 miles on the BRZ tonight. It continues to grow on me. I really am starting to appreciate it's sharpness more, particularly in the stiff brake feel and firm suspension. I still continue to LOVE these seats, that's one thing that Subaru/Toyota got absolutely right, these seats are marvelous. Took an 8 hour road trip in the car today, never felt uncomfortable in them. In regards to the power issues, I have started to change my driving style to play the cars strengths more and minimize it's low points in the powerband (i.e. I avoid 4k-5k). I would like to do the retune that Perrin is offering and the supercharger but I'm worried about them voiding my warranty so I probably won't do much beyond full exhaust/headers and intake this year.

Anybody have anything they want to see a video of, I'm out of ideas, lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #109
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
I still continue to LOVE these seats, that's one thing that Subaru/Toyota got absolutely right, these seats are marvelous. Took an 8 hour road trip in the car today, never felt uncomfortable in them.
Do you have ANY history of back pain? Bugeye WRX seats hurt my lumbar after 1hr and they were widely considered to be the BEST USDM Subaru seat released, prior to the BRZ.

Quote:
I would like to do the retune that Perrin is offering and the supercharger but I'm worried about them voiding my warranty so I probably won't do much beyond full exhaust/headers and intake this year.
Replacing the exhaust manifold and intake will both lead to the denial of a warranty claim. Nothing technically voids your warranty, but your warranty claims can be denied if you've replaced certain parts. If the engine pops and you're running aftermarket manifolds and an intake, you better believe the dealership and Subaru won't have a problem denying that claim.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #110
Keszki

Drives: GT86 delivered!
Quote:
Anybody have anything they want to see a video of, I'm out of ideas, lol.
Have you tracked this car yet?
Keszki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #111
Subaruwrxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Do you have ANY history of back pain? Bugeye WRX seats hurt my lumbar after 1hr and they were widely considered to be the BEST USDM Subaru seat released, prior to the BRZ.

Replacing the exhaust manifold and intake will both lead to the denial of a warranty claim. Nothing technically voids your warranty, but your warranty claims can be denied if you've replaced certain parts. If the engine pops and you're running aftermarket manifolds and an intake, you better believe the dealership and Subaru won't have a problem denying that claim.
No history of back pain at all. I'm 22. I guess I could see the intake voiding the warranty if it's feeding the engine air, but how would the exhaust manifold void it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keszki View Post
Have you tracked this car yet?
Haven't tracked it yet, don't have too many opportunities to get some track time, but it's something I'd like to do in the future.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #112
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
No history of back pain at all. I'm 22. I guess I could see the intake voiding the warranty if it's feeding the engine air, but how would the exhaust manifold void it?
My posture is shitty and I've injured my back, lightly, several times. I foresee difficulties with this seat if it doesn't have lower lumbar support.

Intake and manifold both alter AFR properties and add power, thus making it more likely to deny a warranty claim. Again, nothing voids your warranty, only claims can be denied.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote