follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #71
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hah, nice, my buddy got a custom muffler delete from this shop back when he first got his 2013 FR-S. Glad they were able to assist you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but i took my car into another shop after talking to the owner of the previous shop. He said he had been doing it for 40 years and there's no adjustment, etc but he would take a look at it (i figure he wouldn't do much with it). He wasn't rude but you can tell he didn't want to put much more time into it.

Decided to take it to a shop in Oakland, Yang Auto Repair (father and son team) and the 18 year old kid took a look at it and said "wow very uneven!"

It took him about 10 minutes of fiddling and he did it. He said there was not much to adjust either, but I showed him the email from Corsa, and they were exactly right, the adjustment was there. The nice kid loosened the bolts, adjusted it, and tightened it back down. Took a couple tries but like i said... 10 minutes. Gladly paid them the 20 bucks and drove away happy. It's not 100% aligned but its not obvious now. Before, on my driver side, you couldn't even see the Corsa logo and it was obvious off-kilter when looking at it from the side. Now it's probably 95% which is plenty good for me.

Moral of the story, i guess people who've been doing things a long time can get lazy and complacent.

So anywho, i really doubt its the pipes being manufactured incorrectly, for all of you who are having the issue. Also, its much easier doing this stuff on a lift, than on your back.. you need more leverage.
Cheers

PS: mods, perhaps edit the title of this thread, (Corsa, not Cora).

PSS: Havent heard any other exhausts in person, only youtube, but this exhaust is amazing. GET IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #72
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
@Decep Holy shit, I didn't even know I misspelled Corsa. Fucking auto correct!

Me neither until i was in the exhaust sub-forum, using control + F to try and find this thead
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #73
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did any of you guys buy bushings or hangers for your aftermarket exhaust, when you bought the Corsa exhaust? Will the OEM hangers hold the Corsa in place? I'm afraid it will cause the exhaust to move around after a while.

This is a quote from the Perrin website,"When new, OEM rubber exhaust hangers are fine for the stock exhaust system. But they simply don't hold up or perform well in performance applications. Over time rubber breaks down and increases the amount of exhaust system movement. This excessive movement can damage the exhaust system as well as allow the hot tip to contact the bumper. "

Should I buy these hangers, or are they just a waste of money?Will the OEM hangers last with the new Corsa?

Thanks!
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #74
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Did any of you guys buy bushings or hangers for your aftermarket exhaust, when you bought the Corsa exhaust? Will the OEM hangers hold the Corsa in place? I'm afraid it will cause the exhaust to move around after a while.

This is a quote from the Perrin website,"When new, OEM rubber exhaust hangers are fine for the stock exhaust system. But they simply don't hold up or perform well in performance applications. Over time rubber breaks down and increases the amount of exhaust system movement. This excessive movement can damage the exhaust system as well as allow the hot tip to contact the bumper. "

Should I buy these hangers, or are they just a waste of money?Will the OEM hangers last with the new Corsa?

Thanks!
No its a waste money and you do not need it. The OEM ones will hold up just fine with the exhaust. Theres no reason to purchase those unless your OEM ones are damaged or cracking.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (06-24-2017), Syche (06-24-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #75
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn bro thanks for this! I'll make sure to remind the shop when they are installing the Corsa exhaust.
Is there a particular area where your supposed to loosen and tighten, or the name of the part of the exhaust system? Did you see how he managed to even the tips? Like did he have someone hold the tips in place?

PS: haha I did! Placed the order already! Can't wait
See my post above, with the picture that Corsa sent me. Loosen those bolts, and the installer can kind of muscle it into position. It's not a delicate task. Might need a rubber mallet too.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #76
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
My Corsa exhaust came in yesterday. I'm having the issue with the passenger tip sticking out further, even with following the extra instructions above. I was able to get it to look right with the clamps loose, but once tightened it would move. I think a few more attempts and I will have it right.

On a more positive note, the exhaust sounds perfect!
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-27-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #77
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A little update for you guys,

So I received my exhaust and had it installed at a shop. The tips weren't aligned at first, so I went back and they aligned it and now its perfectly adjusted!

....Man this exhaust fucking awesome! Its sounds really good, at start up it's fairly loud but quiets down at idle. I just love how it changes tones the higher the RPM's go, and engine braking sounds all too satisfying haha!
And tips looks great sticking out with the car's diffuser.

But I'm wondering why I haven't heard those crackles and pops often? Since owning it iv'e only heard it about 2 times.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm glad I picked this exhaust!!

dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #78
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The crackles and pops you get when you downshift from at least 4-5K rpm. And the pop I only hear when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd. Glad you like it
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #79
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Get rid of your cats and you'll hear a lot more lol.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote