follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #43
dinfern22

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S(Halo)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@StraightOuttaCanadaEh bro since owning the Corsa exhaust, have you thought about adding a header or other mods to the exhaust system, or are you planning on keeping it bone stock?

I've read a few posts of people complaining about the exhaust becoming too loud and raspier along with losing the exhaust note, once a header was installed. This true?
dinfern22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #44
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
@StraightOuttaCanadaEh bro since owning the Corsa exhaust, have you thought about adding a header or other mods to the exhaust system, or are you planning on keeping it bone stock?

I've read a few posts of people complaining about the exhaust becoming too loud and raspier along with losing the exhaust note, once a header was installed. This true?
There is a video somewhere of a corsa with headers and it sounds amazing. Having said that, if you're going with catless headers, it will get much louder and drone a lot. I'm planning to do resonated catted front pipe and catted headers. So it'll be louder but not by much. Plus after I go FI, it'll quiet down even more.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #45
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've had my corsa catback installed for 2 weeks and ive never heard a better 4 banger exhaust. So good!

Unfortunately mine is also sticking out further on passenger side like StraightOuttaCanadaEh's red beauty. I had mine installed at the most reputable shop around, and the gentleman installing it also noticed it when he did it, and was expecting my phone call regarding the uneven pipes issue.

He said there's not really any adjustment on it, that he can cut it but doesn't recommend it. I figure he needs to loosen something, adjust, and retorque. But not sure since i didn't install this. He suggested it might be a defect in the manufacturing process.

I was a bit skeptical of that, and emailed corsa. Here's their reply.

"the necessary adjustment is here.( in red)

The connection points should not bottom out at all of the connections( they should just cover the notches)

This will bring the tip alignment to spec, and gives the adjustability needed."

http://imgur.com/a/oFIlA

I put the pic up on imgur for you guys to see. Any thoughts? My installer is a good dude and is willing to work on it again, but if cutting is necessary, should i do so? Hope it wouldn't mess with the sound. I dont go under my car these days due to HOA and crappy roads in my area, dont trust a jackstand to keep the car up..plus wrenching under cars just doesnt appeal to me anymore.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #46
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I've had my corsa catback installed for 2 weeks and ive never heard a better 4 banger exhaust. So good!

Unfortunately mine is also sticking out further on passenger side like StraightOuttaCanadaEh's red beauty. I had mine installed at the most reputable shop around, and the gentleman installing it also noticed it when he did it, and was expecting my phone call regarding the uneven pipes issue.

He said there's not really any adjustment on it, that he can cut it but doesn't recommend it. I figure he needs to loosen something, adjust, and retorque. But not sure since i didn't install this. He suggested it might be a defect in the manufacturing process.

The connection points should not bottom out at all of the connections( they should just cover the notches)

I put the pic up on imgur for you guys to see. Any thoughts? My installer is a good dude and is willing to work on it again, but if cutting is necessary, should i do so? Hope it wouldn't mess with the sound. I dont go under my car these days due to HOA and crappy roads in my area, dont trust a jackstand to keep the car up..plus wrenching under cars just doesnt appeal to me anymore.
I wouldn't cut it, to be honest. Sounds like too much work, and who knows, it may alter the sound (although personally I doubt it will). When I go to have my front alignment done in july, I'll get them to check on the connections. Thanks for that, super helpful.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #47
dinfern22

I've looked through most of the Corsa threads, and watched almost all of the videos on them, and haven't come come across anything negative or problems with the Corsa, besides the alignment issue. Everybody who buys this seems to love it!

Haha cant wait to order it!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #48
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post

Do you think the alignment issue is with every Corsa cat back for the frs, or just some?
There's lots of videos and images of the exhaust installed properly without any alignment issues with the tips. Hmmm
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #49
Decep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfern22 View Post
Do you think the alignment issue is with every Corsa cat back for the frs, or just some?
There's lots of videos and images of the exhaust installed properly without any alignment issues with the tips. Hmmm
i dont think its all of them. i think exhausts take more finesse than some people give credit for. you dont just bolt them all in and tighten. you tweak this, adjust that, loosen this, tighten that etc... even axlebacks i've installed have been a pain, for me at least.

could also be like what my installer said, that whatever machine is making them, specs have changed after manufacturing 1000 of them, so the first of the batch will be tighter specs than the last of the batch...

could have just been him trying to wipe his hands clean of it though. he says corsa is a high quality exhaust and he has seen the misalignment on a lot of aftermarket systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
dinfern22 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #50
CJRhoades

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Corsa catback on my car is also sticking out further on the passenger side. The shop said they could fix it but would have to cut a section out of the pipe. I'm just going to live with it.
CJRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #51
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Mine also sticks out on the passenger side. Buddies and I spent a couple hours taking it off and adjusting on the hangers and clamps.

We gave up and I stopped caring. Most people don't notice until you point it out anyways, just like rock chips!!

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #52
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Mine also sticks out on the passenger side. Buddies and I spent a couple hours taking it off and adjusting on the hangers and clamps.

We gave up and I stopped caring. Most people don't notice until you point it out anyways, just like rock chips!!

Jeez when you look at it from this angle it looks perfectly aligned, I don't even notice it.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #53
dinfern22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post
The Corsa catback on my car is also sticking out further on the passenger side. The shop said they could fix it but would have to cut a section out of the pipe. I'm just going to live with it.
How do you like your Corsa so far, in terms of sound and loudness?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #54
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think a BFH would fix it right up
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #55
NLS8520

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had to laugh and smh at some of these comments. Comparing the sound of a Corsa equipped twin to a Carrera GT! WHAT! I mean Corsa sounds excellent but lets reel it in a bit, lol back to reality please.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6o0bV3pmNI"]BEST of Porsche Carrera GT - LOUD Revs, Accelerating & More! - YouTube[/ame]

VS.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lpe5QF3S5k"]Corsa Cat-back Exhaust FRS BRZ GT86 - YouTube[/ame]
NLS8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #56
Decep

sounds close enough to me.

thanks though, i thought that comparison was a bit much