follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
DaveH

Drives: Scion FRS White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
[/B]
That's still considerably more track time than most cars will ever see.

Yes, there are absolutely better options than Ohlins R&T. What are you realistically willing to spend? Anything up to around ~6k has good gains per dollar, with returns starting to diminish after that.
Some more details, I haven't had time go to track once this year and it doesn't look like that's changing. The roads where I live are complete garbage, pot holes everywhere. I am willing to sacrifice track performance for street comfort, I go to track for fun so I really don't care if this coilover will save 2 seconds off my lap. I have no interest in those things.

My maximum is 4000 dollars.

Keep in mind, coilovers must be an upgrade from stock suspension, if is stiff and rides uncomfortably, I don't consider that to be an upgrade from stock suspension, even if it is better at the track.

Basically just looking for the optimal balance but with balanced skewed towards street vs track.

Back ground information on car:
Vortech Supercharger Kit
Perrin Oil Cooler
Volk Racing TE37SL 18x9
Titanium Exhaust
AP Racing Sprint Front BBK
Cheap shit Chinese coilovers LOL
Lower control arms (rear)
Rear Diff Brace
Lithium Battery

I already spent a lot of money on the and I made the mistake of cheapening out and getting some cheap Chinese coilovers which I don't like very much.
-8kg/mm springs front and rear and monotube dampers. Basically I have them on the softest setting and I don't really like that ride all that much. Jumps over large bumps and the springs are already starting to grind.

So my conclusion is I need something good but there are so many options. The key thing is I need something that will tie all these performance enhancements together and make it a complete "car". Like I said I don't mind spending money but if it just makes the ride harsh and unpleasant then I am just throwing money down the toilet.
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
No reviews on the HKS hypermax IV SP coilovers?
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Some more details, I haven't had time go to track once this year and it doesn't look like that's changing. The roads where I live are complete garbage, pot holes everywhere. I am willing to sacrifice track performance for street comfort, I go to track for fun so I really don't care if this coilover will save 2 seconds off my lap. I have no interest in those things.

Keep in mind, coilovers must be an upgrade from stock suspension, if is stiff and rides uncomfortably, I don't consider that to be an upgrade from stock suspension, even if it is better at the track.

Basically just looking for the optimal balance but with balanced skewed towards street vs track.

Vortech Supercharger Kit
Perrin Oil Cooler
Volk Racing TE37SL 18x9
Titanium Exhaust
Rear Diff Brace
Lithium Battery

I already spent a lot of money on the and I made the mistake of cheapening out and getting some cheap Chinese coilovers which I don't like very much.
-8kg/mm springs front and rear and monotube dampers. Basically I have them on the softest setting and I don't really like that ride all that much. Jumps over large bumps and the springs are already starting to grind.

So my conclusion is I need something good but there are so many options. The key thing is I need something that will tie all these performance enhancements together and make it a complete "car". Like I said I don't mind spending money but if it just makes the ride harsh and unpleasant then I am just throwing money down the toilet.
How much lower than stock do you want the car? 1 inch? 1.5 inches? more?

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
DaveH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How much lower than stock do you want the car? 1 inch? 1.5 inches? more?

- Andy
1 Inch is about all I need, I still daily drive this LOL.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I still vote RCE Tarmac II or KW V3, as a more street-friendly suspension that is still very capable on the track.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
1 Inch is about all I need, I still daily drive this LOL.
Gotcha, reason I ask is that the Ohlins don't go very low but 1 inch is good. If it were me in your position that would be my top choice. One of the best all around coilovers IMO...."road and track" as their name says. Yes there are faster set-ups out there but they have other compromises.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
DaveH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Gotcha, reason I ask is that the Ohlins don't go very low but 1 inch is good. If it were me in your position that would be my top choice. One of the best all around coilovers IMO...."road and track" as their name says. Yes there are faster set-ups out there but they have other compromises.

- Andy
Sent you a PM, want to ask you some more details.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveH For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
For sub 4k, AST 4150's like @Jive Turkey said, or MCS 2 ways.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Vortech Supercharger Kit
Perrin Oil Cooler
Volk Racing TE37SL 18x9
Titanium Exhaust
Rear Diff Brace
Lithium Battery

Do you have camber plates that can be re-used?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #24
DaveH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you have camber plates that can be re-used?
If you mean the OEM ones? I have those on my oem struts and I have camber plates that came with my Chinese suspension.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
honestly from what you say you need KW seems to fit the bill really well or the RCE setup (which is more car specific)

i LOVE my AST's but sometimes they get annoying. the Kw's were more plush, but obviously not as good when you push the car.

i don't know how the ohlin's ride, but if they are like the AST i would say ON THE STREET the v3's would be better. in every other category i would say get ohlins or ASt's or etc for sure. but since street comfort is what you're really looking for i think RCE/v3 is what you should be looking at and spend the rest of the budget on top hats and a proper corner balance...people forget that good alignments/work isn't cheap.

as for top hats, doesn't sound like you need them and can reuse your OEM stuff. KW's are slotted so you can gain camber in the front that way. depending how low you go with your LCA you might need toe arms.

you could always go vorshlag, raceceng, hvt etc. but you don't NEED them is what i'm saying.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I dont see how anyone can mention Öhlins and KW in the same sentance
why not? i feel the way you spelled sentence is a little discrediting right off the bat but i want to hear you out.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #27
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
why not? i feel the way you spelled sentence is a little discrediting right off the bat but i want to hear you out.
But he got the umlaut right in Ohlins though, so that's something.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #28
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
But he got the umlaut right in Ohlins though, so that's something.
this exact thought honestly crossed my mind. its hard to criticize since i bant be bothered to use capitals when i type.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote