follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2020, 04:12 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why has nobody tried to replicate the OEM Aero Lip?

Aside from a really crappy ebay version and some guy who used to import them from Japan a couple years ago, I have struggled to find anyone that makes a near replica of the OEM aero lip.

IMO that front lip is one of the cleanest looking lips available, and from my extensive online search to try find one, a lot of other people seem to agree and have also tried finding it.

I've gone as far as to contact local Toyota dealerships about it but they must not make them anymore as the responses I've gotten is that they know nothing about it.

Really curious as to why nobody has tried making a proper replica of this lip that includes the grill pieces (as I think that part makes the look). I've found a few suppliers that have replicas of the side skirts and can find replicas of the AERO spoiler fairly easily, but never found a true front lip replica.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Aside from a really crappy ebay version and some guy who used to import them from Japan a couple years ago, I have struggled to find anyone that makes a near replica of the OEM aero lip.

IMO that front lip is one of the cleanest looking lips available, and from my extensive online search to try find one, a lot of other people seem to agree and have also tried finding it.

I've gone as far as to contact local Toyota dealerships about it but they must not make them anymore as the responses I've gotten is that they know nothing about it.

Really curious as to why nobody has tried making a proper replica of this lip that includes the grill pieces (as I think that part makes the look). I've found a few suppliers that have replicas of the side skirts and can find replicas of the AERO spoiler fairly easily, but never found a true front lip replica.
Not enough money in it. If there was money to be made they would be out there. You are looking for aero parts for a car that is 4 to 8 years old so they are starting to discontinue many things and what is in stock is probably it.
Wally86 (06-24-2021)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not enough money in it. If there was money to be made they would be out there. You are looking for aero parts for a car that is 4 to 8 years old so they are starting to discontinue many things and what is in stock is probably it.
I'd agree if not for the fact that there are still multiple producers of the OEM aero spoiler/ side skirt that arguably are in less demand than the front lip.
Even looking back years ago to when those parts were new I can't find any evidence of people replicating it at the time.

Look up Nur Spec/ OEM Aero front lip and you'll find multiple posts on various different forums of people trying to get a hold of the front lip
Old 05-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
do you mean that itty bitty piece of black at the very bottom? or something else?
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
do you mean that itty bitty piece of black at the very bottom? or something else?
That's part of it yea but also the red parts on either side of the bumper that wrap around the bottom of the fog lights/ indicators. That's all part of the aero bumper. It's subtle but looks really clean in-person. You'll see the outline of it if you look closely at the pic
Old 05-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'd agree if not for the fact that there are still multiple producers of the OEM aero spoiler/ side skirt that arguably are in less demand than the front lip.
Even looking back years ago to when those parts were new I can't find any evidence of people replicating it at the time.

Look up Nur Spec/ OEM Aero front lip and you'll find multiple posts on various different forums of people trying to get a hold of the front lip
You have marketing data to support these statements? Because a handful of people asked it is a huge demand? You are upset because some Chinese knockoff company hasn't made the parts you want?
Maybe there are more spoilers and side skirts because the demand was high for a while and they made many and now it has dropped off but there are no front lips because the demand never was high enough.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Similar thing: https://www.ikonmotorsports.com/13-1...oiler-abs.html
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
Looks the same to me. You could scout eBay. I have found some cheap ABS parts that work just as good as some of the branded stuff.
Ernest72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This kit has a seemingly direct inspiration from the front bumper of the OEM Aero lip. at least i think its front lip / grill is directly related to the OEM Aero. I found this kit, and it made me think of the OEM Aero lip immediately. Its called the ROBOT-WORKS kit, and apparently is just beginning production in australia. more information contact Coulson Lau on facebook

Irace86.2.0 (05-09-2020), Sam86 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #10
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
Yea I've seen that one as the ebay knockoff I mentioned. It doesn't include the grill piece as I mentioned is an important part of it, and that ebay piece is a lot thicker than OEM.

The OEM front lip front what I remember comes in 3 separate pieces you individually attach, it isn't a single lip mold like that ebay attempt
Old 05-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #11
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
This kit has a seemingly direct inspiration from the front bumper of the OEM Aero lip. at least i think its front lip / grill is directly related to the OEM Aero. I found this kit, and it made me think of the OEM Aero lip immediately. Its called the ROBOT-WORKS kit, and apparently is just beginning production in australia. more information contact Coulson Lau on facebook

Looks cool and yea could be a similar alternative to the OEM aero if the grill piece/ lip comes separate to the rest of the widebody kit
Old 05-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #12
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
hmmm, i really like that hood...
Old 08-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #13
Sam86

Still interested in the front lip, specifically the grille piece. May have found a way to get a hold of it but not totally sure as I've never imported parts before.

Using this diagram
[/URL]

I'm determining that the grille piece is
SU003-04182 --- 76853B --- Cover, Front Spoiler Center D4S Crystal Black Silica

Which can be found here https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partl...ype=8&fig=7601

Just not sure if that's the correct piece or not as there seems to be paint options for all the different paint colours for that piece, yet I haven't seen it come in anything other than the matte black plastic that the rear diffuser is made of.

Also haven't seen any unassembled pictures of it to get an idea of what the fitment would be like on its own, without the left and right painted spoiler parts to connect to..

Looks like it'll cost around $500 USD + shipping for the main 3 front lip parts and all the hardware. Don't think the side lip parts will fit with the front splitter I currently have which is why i'm mainly interested in the grille
Old 08-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #14
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Still interested in the front lip, specifically the grille piece. May have found a way to get a hold of it but not totally sure as I've never imported parts before.

I'm determining that the grille piece is
SU003-04182 --- 76853B --- Cover, Front Spoiler Center D4S Crystal Black Silica

Which can be found here https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partl...ype=8&fig=7601

Just not sure if that's the correct piece or not as there seems to be paint options for all the different paint colours for that piece, yet I haven't seen it come in anything other than the matte black plastic that the rear diffuser is made of.

Also haven't seen any unassembled pictures of it to get an idea of what the fitment would be like on its own, without the left and right painted spoiler parts to connect to..

Looks like it'll cost around $500 USD + shipping for the main 3 front lip parts and all the hardware. Don't think the side lip parts will fit with the front splitter I currently have which is why i'm mainly interested in the grille
There is a gap between the center piece to the bumper to allow the side pieces to snap in. I have the whole thing disassembled in my room right now as I am lazy to put it back on the car.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote