follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 AM   #15
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
$200 is pretty close to the top of the spectrum of prices you can pay for a "17 tire. Why don't you punch your tire size in to the tirerack website and look at the options and go from there. Asking for recommendations of tires under $200 will get you recommendations for anything from the bottom of the spectrum to close to the very top. It largely depends on what you.want out of the tire.

As someone else has mentioned, if you.actually want to spend close to $200/tire, Michelin pss's are well liked.
We get excited with a full budget!!
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #16
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I bought Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3+ 91W tires. They seemed to be the best choice, looking at the all season category within Michelin brand. Never again will I buy any all season tires..

Hated them. Though I believe they had grip better than the original equipment Primacy HP tires, the steering feel was totally missing... .I believe due to very soft sidewalls. Like driving on marshmallows compared to original tires.

I returned them to Tire Rack, after putting over 3000 miles on them, and went back to Primacy HP, though in one size bigger, 225/45/17 91W. I'm now reasonably happy with my choice, though they are even harder riding than my original tires....not sure it it's the bigger size or that they are made in Spain rather than France.

The person I talked with at Tire Rack was not very helpful, in making replacement suggestions, when I was unhappy with the Pilot Sort a/s 3+ tires. That's why I ended up going back to the Primacys....sans any better suggestions.

Oddly the Primacy HP tires are in a category of Grand Touring...certainly an oddly named category for a tire which has a somewhat hard ride and crisp handling.

Wish I'd have gone with possibly >Pilot Super Sport< model or what's available now >Pilot Sport 4S<

All those road tests of tires in videos just don't seem to tell the truth, comparing tires. They certainly were wrong about the Pilot Sport 3+

I will say Tire Rack was easy to deal with in returning tires, replacing them with a different model.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 03-09-2018 at 02:05 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
OfficeWorker (03-09-2018), Tcoat (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I bought Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3+ 91W tires. They seemed to be the best choice, looking at the all season category within Michelin brand. Never again will I buy any all season tires..

Hated them. Though I believe they had grip better than the original equipment Primacy HP tires, the steering feel was totally missing... .I believe due to very soft sidewalls. Like driving on marshmallows compared to original tires.

I returned them to Tire Rack, after putting over 3000 miles on them, and went back to Primacy HP, though in one size bigger, 225/45/17 91W. I'm now reasonably happy with my choice, though they are even harder riding than my original tires....not sure it it's the bigger size or that they are made in Spain rather than France.

The person I talked with at Tire Rack was not very helpful, in making replacement suggestions, when I was unhappy with the Pilot Sort a/s 3+ tires. That's why I ended up going back to the Primacys....sans any better suggestions.

Oddly the Primacy HP tires are in a category of Grand Touring...certainly an oddly named category for a tire which has a somewhat hard ride and crisp handling.

Wish I'd have gone with possibly >Pilot Super Sport< model or what's available now >Pilot Sport 4S<

All those road tests of tires in videos just don't seem to tell the truth, comparing tires. They certainly were wrong about the Pilot Sport 3+

I will say Tire Rack was easy to deal with in returning tires, replacing them with a different model.
May be a temperature thing? I have those tires and love them. It doesn't get hot for long here though so I never found the sidewalls overly soft at all. I would not use them as a track tire but for the local conditions they are pretty much unbeatable.
The tests are done in sort of a middle of the road set of conditions so are not always going to be accurate when places have extremes. Some of the tires that work really well in California would be like hockey pucks here even on a cool spring day.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
These are dirt cheap performance summer tires. They will be SHITE in any weather 40 degrees or ice/snow but apparently they're not complete trash for the road or track.

***OH, 200 PER tire. I see now.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ZRXL&tab=Sizes
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #19
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzR View Post

Office: Wrong on the heat, but that's understandable, as most people think of AZ as heat and tarantulas (and they're right!) Where I am, the hottest it gets is about 90, and the coldest is winter nights of about the 20's to the 30's - occasionally lower. So I think we live in similar environments and I do think an all season would be best. I quickly checked out the AS/3+ and it looks really good, though I plan to check out all the tires that are recommended here.

The "Prius tires" have served me well, as I'm not really a hot rodder, but back when I bought the car in April of 2014, I saw guys here talking about how there were very much better tires on the market as far as quality, grip and safety, so that's what I'm looking for now.
With what you have described, I think the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is worth considering. With the stock tires, one thing that prompted me to replace them with 98% treadlife remaining was how much I felt they suffered in those colder dry temps, more in colder wet (and obviously they suffer in snow given they are not made for it - for my needs, this was a safety concern.) I've also used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and DWS06...great tires although I feel the A/S 3+ is an improvement in dry (supposedly it is not quite as good in snow, which is something the DWS is crazy good at considering what it is - I've only used the A/S 3+ in very light snow so I can't yet say.) BFG has a UHP AS in their Comp line that is very well rated and dirt cheap - I considered this one as well as another set of DWS06 (which was on my previous car) before settling on the Michelins.

From what I have observed, most of the guys and gals on this forum are running higher performance tires than the A/S 3+. I do not have experience with these tires, but I do have experience with an older Michelin summer tire, the PS2, and there is definitely a big difference between the two in dry, non-cold climate, in favor of the max performance summer tire. But, the A/S 3+ is perfectly confident cornering hard in 30 degree weather, which with the PS2 was a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by OfficeWorker; 03-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #20
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post

Interesting! I guess I've been running UHP ASs for so long now I've gotten used to the loss in feedback from the softer sidewall!
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #21
BuzzR

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Again, my thanks to everyone who has responded.

Today I took the BRZ into my dealership for its 30K service and inspection, and they did tell me that all four tires were showing significant signs of dry rot. I have 3/32 of tread left on them, but they said it is the sidewalls that show the worst wear. I park the BRZ under a carport, but apparently the 80-90 degree heat in the summer has taken a toll on them.

I don't think they were lying to me, and I think I'll have greater peace of mind getting a new set in a couple weeks.

They told me if I didn't drive too fast or for long distances, that the tires would "probably" be okay for a while longer, but I don't want to drive on tires that might explode on me at any time.

So I'll be getting a new set in the next couple weeks. Sadly, I have to make a 500-600 mile RT to Phoenix before I can get them, so I'll try not to push it, and will be extra careful.

Because the winter here is typically 5 months and temps often dip below freezing at night, I do think an all season is best for me. I'm sure they'll have far better performance than what I've had the past four years.

As for my setting the price at $200, I actually worried that that might be too low, and I'd be laughingly told that if I wanted a really good tire it would be $300-$400. So I'm glad to know great tires can be had for under $200.

This is what many of you are talking about, I assume:
Consumer RecommendedTire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)
Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size: 215/45ZR17 91W XL
5-Rib Tread Design
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 91W
UTQG: 500 AA A
Qty:Per Tire: 4

$148.97 See Tire Rack
Delivered
Price in Cart
Availability: In Stock

If this is not what you mean, please let me know. Also, please let me know what "W- OR Y-SPEED RATED" means, and which is preferable.

As Leo pointed out, I should go a size up to 225/45/17. I do have stock wheels.

It says a set of 4 would be slightly over $600 (without installation,) so that would be fine with me. The last tires I bought (for my old Dodge Dakota) were Goodrich and were $750 at Costco.

So again, thank you all for your input. I still will check on other tires listed here, but so far the A/S 3 looks to be the front runner.

BuzzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
Hoahao

Drives: 2014 Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzR View Post
Again, my thanks to everyone who has responded.

Today I took the BRZ into my dealership for its 30K service and inspection, and they did tell me that all four tires were showing significant signs of dry rot. I have 3/32 of tread left on them, but they said it is the sidewalls that show the worst wear. I park the BRZ under a carport, but apparently the 80-90 degree heat in the summer has taken a toll on them.

I don't think they were lying to me, and I think I'll have greater peace of mind getting a new set in a couple weeks.

They told me if I didn't drive too fast or for long distances, that the tires would "probably" be okay for a while longer, but I don't want to drive on tires that might explode on me at any time.

So I'll be getting a new set in the next couple weeks. Sadly, I have to make a 500-600 mile RT to Phoenix before I can get them, so I'll try not to push it, and will be extra careful.

Because the winter here is typically 5 months and temps often dip below freezing at night, I do think an all season is best for me. I'm sure they'll have far better performance than what I've had the past four years.

As for my setting the price at $200, I actually worried that that might be too low, and I'd be laughingly told that if I wanted a really good tire it would be $300-$400. So I'm glad to know great tires can be had for under $200.

This is what many of you are talking about, I assume:
Consumer RecommendedTire Rack Tested
Click to Compare
MICHELIN
PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)
Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size: 215/45ZR17 91W XL
5-Rib Tread Design
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 91W
UTQG: 500 AA A
Qty:Per Tire: 4

$148.97 See Tire Rack
Delivered
Price in Cart
Availability: In Stock

If this is not what you mean, please let me know. Also, please let me know what "W- OR Y-SPEED RATED" means, and which is preferable.

As Leo pointed out, I should go a size up to 225/45/17. I do have stock wheels.

It says a set of 4 would be slightly over $600 (without installation,) so that would be fine with me. The last tires I bought (for my old Dodge Dakota) were Goodrich and were $750 at Costco.

So again, thank you all for your input. I still will check on other tires listed here, but so far the A/S 3 looks to be the front runner.

That looks like it.

W=168 MPH, Y= 186 MPH. Not sure it really matters if your not going to the track.

I bought the first gen Mich AS-3 in 225 width my self. Bought another set of stock wheels for them and use the stock tires still on the original wheels in the summer.

Probably should not have gone 225 width in retrospect. Lost a bit of sharpness in steering over the Primacies. Cold was good with the A/S 3's but snow was weak. Better in the summer though. New gen is probably better in snow, which is why there's a 2nd gen.

My intention for new tires when replacement comes is probably the A/S3+'s all season for winter in 215 width, and a good summer tire in either 215 or 225. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #23
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
BuzzR: steering sharpness is gone due tire model, not due width. AS/3 have much softer sidewalls, hence the reason. Grip is there, but sharpness gone. Then again all winter tires are much softer, so imho trading already scarce grip for sharpness of stiff summer tires in cold is not really an option. Though i'd get anyway narrower, 215 or even 205 wide winter tires for better grip on snow/ice, but it won't change steering feel. Common trait of many all-season and winter tires.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #24
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Buzzr. You might take a look at BFG Comp 2 A/S+s. I haven't tried them yet, but they're high on my list. Costco carries them at a reasonable price.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #25
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
it really is worth getting dedicated winter tires and summer tires. You can put them on an extra set of wheels so the changeover is really easy. You can get Firestone's new uhp summer tire for a reasonable amount, and general winter tires for dirt cheap too. It really is worth it. The new firestone is really highly rated.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #26
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you are seeing under freezing temps at all during the year you are deff going to want an all season tire.

That said the sportiest all season tire that I have used is the Bridgestone RE960AS(this was used on a 2002 wrx).

I drove a ford focus in Denver that was on all seasons (Continental pure contacts) I was really surprised on how well that car handled on mountain roads. That was only a couple hundred miles of driving though so I can not really comment on how they do under freezing temps (was summer time so low was 50 degrees) or how long they last.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #27
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Isn't focus a bit heavier? And/or possible on narrower wheels? & FWD at that, which simplifies for many low grip driving. So on twins, relatively light, on relatively too wide stock tire width for car's weight, and RWD, - i'd go for further lengths to rise grip below freezing temps, then what i would have for eg. focus, for grip to be called well/acceptable.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Isn't focus a bit heavier? And/or possible on narrower wheels? & FWD at that, which simplifies for many low grip driving. So on twins, relatively light, on relatively too wide stock tire width for car's weight, and RWD, - i'd go for further lengths to rise grip below freezing temps, then what i would have for eg. focus, for grip to be called well/acceptable.
2016 5 door focus is listed as a curb around 2900lbs
stock tire size is a 215 50 17

2013 brz 2800lbs curb
stock tire size 215 45 17

FWD to RWD difference clearly will play some role yes.

*edit* Some focus do come with a 16" wheel but even in 16 the overall size is comparable. I believe the car I rented had 17" on it. If I am wrong well the specs for the 16" in that year were 16x6 wheel and a 215 55 16.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote