follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #29
surfwaxsmitty

Drives: '14 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
This is how I did it:
- Drove up a ramp
- removed the undertray
- removed the central nut (17mm with me, not 19mm)
- wedged in the insert from the front and then hammered it in - swing room enough - while simultaneously giving upward pushes to the gearbox by hand. Bit crude but went down nevertheless.
- Refit

The whole thing took me half an hour taking it easy, alone, most time spent reaching for those undertray screws that were obscured by the ramp...

The increase in NVH is quite noticeable on an almost stock car, do like the harder engine note and the whole feel of the mod esp. in high revs.
Just installed using this method. Everything went well.

Question, I also noticed a significant increase in engine note throughout the entire RPM range. This occurs in gear moving or not moving, as well as out of gear. Have other people also noticed this?

My car has all stock bushings otherwise. Also stock exhaust and intake/filter.

Vibration increased through the entire RPM range as well.

Other than that you can tell there is certainly a much more solid connection between the transmission and the chassis. You can hear the hollow tones, the gear engagement and a moderate whine now and then. My shifter rattle has increased a fair amount above 4.5k which is where it would be fire to a lesser degree.

Yes, main question, does everyone else experience the engine note being increased quite a bit through all RPMs?
surfwaxsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 AM   #30
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwaxsmitty View Post

Yes, main question, does everyone else experience the engine note being increased quite a bit through all RPMs?
I could mainly hear a lot more whine from the gearbox. My car is a commuter car and I grew tired of the added NVH. So after a year or so removed it and it felt like a huge relief! Silence at last (well not really, but you get it). And when doing clean shifts (not rushed and with some mechanical sense), there is no need for it either, haven't missed it since even on performance drives (almost 2 years now?)...
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
surfwaxsmitty (06-10-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #31
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwaxsmitty View Post
Just installed using this method. Everything went well.

Question, I also noticed a significant increase in engine note throughout the entire RPM range. This occurs in gear moving or not moving, as well as out of gear. Have other people also noticed this?

My car has all stock bushings otherwise. Also stock exhaust and intake/filter.

Vibration increased through the entire RPM range as well.

Other than that you can tell there is certainly a much more solid connection between the transmission and the chassis. You can hear the hollow tones, the gear engagement and a moderate whine now and then. My shifter rattle has increased a fair amount above 4.5k which is where it would be fire to a lesser degree.

didnt know this method worked. jacking up front pipe hanger like 1 inch is much easier though.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote