follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2016, 02:58 AM   #43
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welp, just did this today along with the clutch pedal adjustment. You can definitely feel where the engagement point is now. Another recommend for this little mod.

I think I'll be playing with the clutch pedal adjustment a bit tomorrow. The friction point is a bit too close to the ground for my tastes when set slightly below the brake pedal. I'm sure this is all personal preference...
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #44
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How To: Free Clutch Spring Removal in 15 Minutes - A must do for manual trans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Can you elaborate on what you didn't like? The slop on top (I'm assuming of the pedal travel) isn't something that people have mentioned... Or at least I haven't come across it.

Best I can explain is the first inch or so of travel is very very loose. As in a could push the pedal in about in inch with no more than my finger. The pedal resistance progressively increases as the pedal travels down further. But it starts out with zero resistance. The pedal wouldn't snap back to the very top if your foot slipped off while it was compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Also, doesn't most of the slop go away once the up switch is adjusted?
Interesting. I didn't know that would help get rid of the looseness at the beginning of the travel.

Last edited by Kronos; 04-10-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #45
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Hmmmm.... I have no play in my clutch pedal. At top position it is resting against the cruise control switch which takes out the slop.
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #46
vvtlift

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Complete...now time for a test drive.

A hammer helped remove spring after stud was removed

Mid drive first impression. Engagement more predictable. Clutch travel feeling very nice. Almost feels like previous aftermarket clutches I have had in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by vvtlift; 04-10-2016 at 01:02 PM.
vvtlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #47
scatterbrn

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I just did this mod.It's a heavier feel which I like but I still feel like it's missing something in the way of feed back.an improvement but I was hoping for more I guess. Still good for a free mod
scatterbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #48
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just did this mod along with adjusting the pedal height last night and so far I'm loving it. The only problem I have is the top end of the pedal travel is kind of "spongy" but I'm sure I can adjust that out by tinkering with the pedal a bit more.

Oh, and the OP says be careful not to lose the E-clip... well, being the rebel that I am, I lost the E-clip. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? Now that the spring is out the clevis the pin holds on doesn't do anything, right? I assume if the pin were to fall out I wouldn't suffer any sort of catastrophic clutch failure leading to a fiery death.
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #49
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Can we do this without adjusting the clutch engagement mod?
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #50
Sosa
[||]--(86)--[||]

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
Can we do this without adjusting the clutch engagement mod?
Yes, the spring may be removed independently.
Decimus (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #51
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrn View Post
So I just did this mod.It's a heavier feel which I like but I still feel like it's missing something in the way of feed back.an improvement but I was hoping for more I guess. Still good for a free mod
Its not free, but fairly easy according to @Ultramaroon (and he'll love that I brought him back in on this thread)--you need to swap out the slave cylinder that serves the clutch. I haven't done this myself, but according to him and a handful of others who have done it, it improves clutch feel even more. I am sure if you searched this thread or the forum in general, it would be an easy find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazikowski View Post
Just did this mod along with adjusting the pedal height last night and so far I'm loving it. The only problem I have is the top end of the pedal travel is kind of "spongy" but I'm sure I can adjust that out by tinkering with the pedal a bit more.

Oh, and the OP says be careful not to lose the E-clip... well, being the rebel that I am, I lost the E-clip. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? Now that the spring is out the clevis the pin holds on doesn't do anything, right? I assume if the pin were to fall out I wouldn't suffer any sort of catastrophic clutch failure leading to a fiery death.
First, the "spongy" zone or "slop" isn't something you will get rid of easily. It actually serves a purpose, to ensure that the clutch is fully engaged. I got used to that area, so it shouldn't be long before you forget its there as well. Some of this can be alleviated by adjusting the position of the clutch pedal (the thread is also easy to find).

Secondly, no, no catastophic failure, but it wont be as secure should you decide to re-install the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Mazikowski (04-19-2016), Ultramaroon (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #52
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Quote:

Just take the pin out and go to home depot, lowes, or any hardware store and get a replacement e-clip that fits on the pin.

You could install it in the store parking lot.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to murdoc For This Useful Post:
Mazikowski (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #53
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Its not free, but fairly easy according to @Ultramaroon (and he'll love that I brought him back in on this thread)--you need to swap out the slave cylinder that serves the clutch. I haven't done this myself, but according to him and a handful of others who have done it, it improves clutch feel even more. I am sure if you searched this thread or the forum in general, it would be an easy find.
Yeah. I'm thrilled. *eyeroll*

Fifth post of the previous thread. Anyone interested can PM me.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #54
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

You don't even really need any of the stuff you removed (e-clip, clevis, pin, spring) unless you plan on reversing this mod at some point in the future.

Some people will remove the spring and then put everything back together, without the spring. I simply took everything off completely and put it in a ziploc bag; the clevis and pin don't really do anything anymore once the spring is gone.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing it unless you plan to put it back in the future.
stock (06-04-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #55
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
You don't even really need any of the stuff you removed (e-clip, clevis, pin, spring) unless you plan on reversing this mod at some point in the future.

Some people will remove the spring and then put everything back together, without the spring. I simply took everything off completely and put it in a ziploc bag; the clevis and pin don't really do anything anymore once the spring is gone.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing it unless you plan to put it back in the future.

Exactly what I did. I just tossed all the loose parts in a small ziplock bag. The part where the spring attaches and the pin goes through just dangled there for a year until I decided to put the spring back in. Didn't effect anything or get in the way.

And if you do decide to put the spring back in you could probably find a proper sized e clip at a hardware store.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #56
Mazikowski

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
First, the "spongy" zone or "slop" isn't something you will get rid of easily. It actually serves a purpose, to ensure that the clutch is fully engaged. I got used to that area, so it shouldn't be long before you forget its there as well. Some of this can be alleviated by adjusting the position of the clutch pedal (the thread is also easy to find).
That's kind of what I was thinking as far as having a little buffer to make sure it's engaged.

I wound up messing with it some last night and took out some of the play. I had adjusted the rod in a little too much. Adjusting it to bring the pedal "back up" a little, putting a little pressure against the rod but not enough to actually push it any, got it feeling much more solid.

I've still got a little buffer but it feels like most other manuals I have driven in the past. It's definitely taking some getting used to since I don't have all that travel before it disengages...

I absolutely love how much feel I have in the clutch with the spring removed. It feels a bit heavier, but not bad and is way more communicative.
Mazikowski is offline   Reply With Quote