follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Shin

Drives: Highlander, Corolla, Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally drove an FR-S

I finally got to drive an A/T FR-S. The handling on this car is amazing....
I did infact drive it in m mode, but found it somewhat confusing, guess it's because I've never driven a manual except with my wheel in need for speed which I actually play with paddle shifters....

The paddle shifters were pretty cool, the salesman actually told me "stop babying it, drive it like you stole it!" guess he really wanted me to get a good feel for the car so... i did ! Went up to about 7kish RPM before I'd shift, it was great...confusing part came in slowing down and downshifting. I'm gonna assume by accident I put it into full manual mode when I tried to turn off the sport mode after trying it in D mode. Pushed the button, but sport wouldn't turn off so I held it down until it did, which was for about 3 seconds. Didn't realize it at the time.

I'd slow down and downshift and the car would rev hard, but I didn't redline at anytime while I was downshifting, but it felt like I was doing it wrong and the car didn't downshift at all for me, which I like. I guess it would just take a bit more getting used. The thing about the paddle shifters was that it just didn't feel like I was immersed in driving of the car, like how I get in need for speed. The paddle shifters are cool and all, but it's still pretty "meh" to me.

For this reason, I making sure to learn MT and hoping I'll get that driving immersion I'm looking for.

I also came across a 370z that's lightly used for 25k, that's pretty tempting. Still leaning towards the FR-S though. And I also got to see the Firestorm in person... that red is so...beautiful, I was dead set on getting Asphalt, but now I'm torn between Firestorm and Asphalt! D: I need to see the Asphalt in person.

But in short, I think the AT is a great transmission for someone looking for the control when they want it and the ability to chill back and relax when they want it.

Personally, I'll be working hard for the money to pay for this car so I better be having fun enjoying it.

~A Future MT Driver (Hopefully)
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I know there's a great bunch of debate on the topic of engine break-in periods and procedures, but I will say the manual mentions to not go above 4k rpm until you've crossed 1000 miles. Obviously, the motor isn't going to blow instantly if you don't follow that, but I'd rather be safe than sorry when jeopardizing it. Not to call you out, just to give you a heads up.

Also, be gentle on an engine from a cold start until oil temp reaches the normal levels. You'll see your water temp gauge near the gas gauge, I'd say give a minute or two after it starts reaching the normal (middle) temperature.

These are all just stress-related things. Sure, the Subaru Boxer engine is well-built and tough but there are things that stress the engine more than it needs to be. Cold starts and potential bad break-ins are some of them.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Shin

Drives: Highlander, Corolla, Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was actually trying to stick to that since it was only at 120miles, but the salesman said it was okay to go above since it's a dedicated demo car that won't be sold. So it's fine imo as long as no one else will be buying it.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin For This Useful Post:
eriktherod (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
greenguy101
VMFIC ORLANDO SCIKOTICS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
This is why I refuse to buy a car that has already been test driven by others. You have no idea what they did to the car in that short period of time. It's not your fault that the sales guy was a douchbag but the car definitely shouldn't be taken to 7k rpm with 100+ miles on it.