follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
Whoodoo

Drives: '15 BRZ, Vortech supercharger
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't have any stored codes, so I'm going to have to try to reproduce the symptoms.

Its good to know someone else has experienced something similar. Just to clarify, my CEL didn't go off right after I filled up, it took the 5 miles to home, then the 15 miles to work the next morning, and it was off on the trip back home. I didn't get any TPMS light though.
Whoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoodoo View Post
I didn't have any stored codes, so I'm going to have to try to reproduce the symptoms.

Its good to know someone else has experienced something similar. Just to clarify, my CEL didn't go off right after I filled up, it took the 5 miles to home, then the 15 miles to work the next morning, and it was off on the trip back home. I didn't get any TPMS light though.
Well.. Ummm... Oh screw it I will let somebody else address this.
kch (09-05-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well.. Ummm... Oh screw it I will let somebody else address this.
Wait, no. I'm stumped.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I didn't get any TPMS light though.
That was supposed to be a joke. :/
Old 08-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
I have similar issues. Stumbling and hesitation around 1/4 tank. No low fuel light and "lean" related codes if I push it. It will eventually refuse to start just as if it was truly out of gas. Fill up is as expected for 1/4 tank left...about 9-10 gallons.

I believe it has to do with the siphon "jet" device that pulls fuel from the right (passenger) side of the tank to the left (drivers) side where the fuel pump is. You can sort of verify this by taking a hard right hand turn to slosh fuel from right to left and see if you get more miles from the tank.

I plan on pulling the pump assembly to make sure it's all assembled properly because I have had it out to install a higher flow fuel pump in the past. The siphon tube is the only hose that that connects to the assembly (at the bottom) inside the tank.
This has merit. Hmmm...

Hey, @soulreapersteve, what did they replace in your tank?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #20
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

You wouldn't happen to have a deatschwerks fuel pump or anything like that would you?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-29-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Whoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a deatschwerks fuel pump or anything like that would you?
I don't actually know... I didn't install any of the mods myself and I have no idea who the previous owner was, so I would have to get into the tank and have a look.

I took another trip to jersey yesterday and had a CEL on the whole time without any symptoms, so I'm thinking it's that dang 'small evap leak' again. I'm going to take it to get the codes read today, and also get a new serpentine belt because it started to shred itself up about 20 miles away from home on the way back... When it rains, it pours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whoodoo For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I don't actually know... I didn't install any of the mods myself and I have no idea who the previous owner was, so I would have to get into the tank and have a look.

I took another trip to jersey yesterday and had a CEL on the whole time without any symptoms, so I'm thinking it's that dang 'small evap leak' again. I'm going to take it to get the codes read today, and also get a new serpentine belt because it started to shred itself up about 20 miles away from home on the way back... When it rains, it pours.
Hmmm... I wonder if there isn't something wrong with the supercharger itself. CELs + Belt failure?
Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if there isn't something wrong with the supercharger itself. CELs + Belt failure?
This doesn't bode well for diagnostics, you don't know the mods that are on it and the tuning info will make it really hard to tell where this CEL is from. It could be a tuning error or another supercharger issue. You might want to get the install checked out by a reputable shop familiar with the vortech kit.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #24
Whoodoo

So it was a code P0456 small evap leak that made the CEL turn on. I have had that code before and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason for when it shows up and goes away. Also, it turns out there were some stored codes. P1170 no DTC definition found, P0087 fuel rail/system pressure - too low, P0172 bank 1 system too rich.

Sounds like the ECU thinks I ran out of fuel too... Maybe I'll tuck into the fuel tank this weekend and see what I can see.

I think the supercharger puts a lot more strain on the serpentine belt than the normal accessory drive and the cheap auto parts store belt I had on it just couldn't hold up. I have a continental belt on the way which should be better quality.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have the same issue currently. Cars runs out of Gas at 1/4 tank. Fill up takes ~8 gallons. Have had both sides of the tank open and couldn't find any issues. It sucks as I know there is still plenty of fuel left. Hopefully something is found soon.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #26
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
So it was a code P0456 small evap leak that made the CEL turn on. I have had that code before and it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason for when it shows up and goes away. Also, it turns out there were some stored codes. P1170 no DTC definition found, P0087 fuel rail/system pressure - too low, P0172 bank 1 system too rich.

Sounds like the ECU thinks I ran out of fuel too... Maybe I'll tuck into the fuel tank this weekend and see what I can see.

I think the supercharger puts a lot more strain on the serpentine belt than the normal accessory drive and the cheap auto parts store belt I had on it just couldn't hold up. I have a continental belt on the way which should be better quality.

Maybe install a fuel starvation door see if it clears it up. Then you can see if maybe someone installed a fuel pump or the like
Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #27
Whoodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Maybe install a fuel starvation door see if it clears it up. Then you can see if maybe someone installed a fuel pump or the like
I don't think a fuel starvation for would help because that is designed to prevent fuel from leaving the driver's side of the tank during prolonged left-hand turns. On today's trip down to NJ, I had one chug on the way down, and two on the way back home. Both times, I was between 1/4 and 1/2 rank on the gauge, and it was toward the end of the trip both times. The car never got to the point where it was really fuel starved, it just has a quick loss of power, then keeps going like nothing is wrong.

Also, after clearing the codes from last time, the CEL came on yesterday morning when I went to work but I haven't had it read yet.

I wanted to see if there is an aftermarket fuel pump, so I pulled that out and discovered a Deatschwerks 340lph pump that had been installed a little weird. First, the snap ring that holds the top part into bottom part was gone and replaced with a little bit of safety wire. When I took the pump out, the bottom plastic piece that holds the pump in place was missing - the inlet sock was just captured on the bottom of the pump by the top portion of the housing that snaps in place. So, I'm going to try to find a new sock so it isn't as Jerry-rigged, but im also not sure if the pump is the problem, so I may end up getting a new one just in case it is...

There was a little bit of crap stuck to the sock, and the inlet looked dark like it was dirty. Do you think it could be a bad pump? I'm going to start looking into injectors next. Anyone know of a good way to identify them? I know they aren't the stockers, but I couldn't see any identifying marks on them just looking from the top of the engine.

*edit*
I watched a couple of fuel pump install videos and it appears the sock was the one supplied in the Deatschwerks install kit. It didn't stay attached to the bottom of the pump, though. I thought maybe the sock wasn't properly attached and the bottom of the pump and crud got in there and messed it up, but now I'm not sure...
Attached Images

Last edited by Whoodoo; 09-12-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
*edit*
I watched a couple of fuel pump install videos and it appears the sock was the one supplied in the Deatschwerks install kit. It didn't stay attached to the bottom of the pump, though. I thought maybe the sock wasn't properly attached and the bottom of the pump and crud got in there and messed it up, but now I'm not sure...
Interesting as I have a DW300c as well. The sock doesn't stay on very well, but it's done that from the start for me. Just put it on and hope it stays long enough to put it in the basket. It's held on by being compressed between the bottom of the basket and the pump. I have a 485 on my desk, just need an install kit. Only issue being Full Blowns install comes with a pump, and radium auto is a bit more than I want to spend currently (not to mention needing to redo quite a bit of my fuel system)

I am going to see of DW with warranty the Pump/check to make sure it's 100%.