follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone use an ATEQ TPMS Quickset?

Switched to my summer wheels/tires today and attempted to use my ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool which has both my winter and summer sensor ID's stored in it. I tried switching to the summer set (plug it in, ignition on, engine off, press the summer button, wait for solid green, wait another 5 seconds for good measure) but my TPMS sensor is still lit.

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to activate the sensors or anything like that first?
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Switched to my summer wheels/tires today and attempted to use my ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool which has both my winter and summer sensor ID's stored in it. I tried switching to the summer set (plug it in, ignition on, engine off, press the summer button, wait for solid green, wait another 5 seconds for good measure) but my TPMS sensor is still lit.

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to activate the sensors or anything like that first?
I'm not sure about just using the codes stored directly on the Quickset. I change multiple cars so I always have to hook it up to the PC.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
I'm not sure about just using the codes stored directly on the Quickset. I change multiple cars so I always have to hook it up to the PC.
OK I'll try that. So it worked for you?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
OK I'll try that. So it worked for you?
Well it worked when I switched to winter wheels. I haven't switched back to summer wheels yet.

I've used it many times on other cars that way with no issues.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Just did it as you suggested. Light is still on, but I guess I'll have to drive it around for a few to give it a chance to acquire the signal.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Just an update - apparently I have my Winter and Summer memory slots reversed (most likely my fault). I switched back to Winter and now the light is off. LOL.

By the way, I can switch back and forth without having to hook up the ATEQ to the computer, now that I've got both sets stored on the device. If you use more than one car, then yeah - you'll need to hook it back up to the computer to get the proper ID's loaded.

Pretty happy with the results. Not bad for $150, should pay for itself by next Spring.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
SteveH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Foobar – Did you have to have the new TPMS sensors activated or were you able to simply use the Quickset tool to load the new IDs and have the car recognize the new sensors?

I bought a one of the ATEQ TPMS Quickset tools last week and was able to download the IDs of the current sensors. I received my new summer wheel/tire package yesterday with the IDs for the new sensors, so any words of wisdom would be welcome.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Did not have to get them activated. Just follow the programs instructions and you'll end up first retrieving the first set of sensors off the car, then you key in the new ones manually. Then you send it to the quickset and you now have both sensors loaded on the device and can switch at will.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Just another update. Apparently they weren't reversed. My light just went on after a long drive. Apparently my winter tires in the house were still close enough to my car outside to be read. It wasn't until I was 30 miles away when it sensed them missing.

So maybe I do need to get the sensors activated after all. I got mine from RavSpec and left him a message to see if this is the case.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
OK - final update on the ATEQ Quickset. It works exactly as advertised. It turns out I had one of my sensor ID's entered incorrectly. I put in the correct Hex code and now my new TPMS Sensors are programmed into the ECU and I can switch back and forth from the tool without the need to re-load the codes from the PC.

Only tips/advise I can give are use 00000000 for the spare tire, and if your new sensor ID's have 7 digits, make sure you pad a 0 in front of it when you enter it into ATEQ Quickset so that they go in as an 8-digit hexadecimal value.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
SteveH

Thanks for the update!

I've got an appointment to have the new wheels/tires balanced after work on Wednesday. I'll upload the new IDs tomorrow evening and see if the light comes on during the drive back home from the tire shop.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
jcat5150

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What CAN did you guys use to get it to recognize your FRS? I can't get this thing to go solid green on any of the options. Its like it wont read from the ECU at all to download the current TPMS.
jcat5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat5150 View Post
What CAN did you guys use to get it to recognize your FRS? I can't get this thing to go solid green on any of the options. Its like it wont read from the ECU at all to download the current TPMS.
I don't recall having to specify a CAN. I just picked my car type as Subaru BRZ.

Is ignition set to ON without the engine started?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
SteveH

I had an appointment to have the new tires put on the car after work on Wednesday, so Tuesday evening I loaded up the wheels/tires and decided to go ahead and up load the TPMS IDs for the new summer wheels. I turned the car back to the ON position afterwards and the TPMS light was flashing orange.

Sometime during the 10 mile drive into work the next morning the TPMS light went off. Had the new wheels put on after work, drove home and unloaded the winter tires, and took the car for about a 40 mile loop... still no TPMS light.

So...

New TPMS sensors don't have to be activated and the tires don't have to be rotating for the car to recognize and communicate with the sensors.

Foobar... for going there first and helping the rest of us.

jcat5150... The first time that I tried to download the IDs for the winter tires I got some kind of 'low CAN bus voltage' error when I reconnected the Quickset unit to the computer, so I deleted the car from the software and tried again with success. I discovered that when the Quickset unit is properly seated on the OBDC connector the bottom of the unit is pointing slightly towards the door instead of straight down, so with the car in the OFF position try mating the connectors to get the feel of when they're properly mated, then delete the car from the software and try again.