follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FWIW, Tire Rack gives 16" steelies as a Winter wheel/tire option only for non-PP '17 BRZ. For Performance Package it only gives 17" and 18" options.

https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...odClar=Limited

I'm 90% about to buy a '17 PP BRZ, if I do probably get 17x7 wheels and 205/50-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s for it.

Last edited by ZDan; 12-07-2017 at 10:07 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #16
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Jordanwolf: it's not just higher sidewall (of more flex). It's also about winter tires having softer rubber compound and those many extra small thread grooves, which while providing that extra grip on ice/snow, also move around much more, resulting in that non-sharp steering with lag. Grip is there, but car's direction change reactions are dulled. Given importance of grip in winter, while it may be less pleasant to feel, but in my eyes reasonable compromise/trade.
I hate it . The difference in driving is so apparent to me I have reverted to grandma driving, but it is a worth compromise so I don't kill myself when I have to head to cottage country.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm running 17x6.5+50 steelies with Altimax Artic tires. They sit in the fender a little far for my tastes so i run them with 25mm spacers.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I hate it . The difference in driving is so apparent to me I have reverted to grandma driving, but it is a worth compromise so I don't kill myself when I have to head to cottage country.
I think it can be somewhat entertaining, depending on how you look at it. The car behaves much the same as with higher grip tires, just at a far lower threshold. Can make driving closer to the speed limit a little more fun...lol. It's kind of like hopping into an older sportscar from the 60's/70's with tall, skinny tires.
JazzleSAURUS (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #19
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
FWIW, Tire Rack gives 16" steelies as a Winter wheel/tire option only for non-PP '17 BRZ. For Performance Package it only gives 17" and 18" options.

https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...odClar=Limited

I'm 90% about to buy a '17 PP BRZ, if I do probably get 17x7 wheels and 205/50-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s for it.
Pirelli's are usually a bit pricey for what you get IMO. What are you looking for out your winters?

The arctics dig better, the Xice3 does better in nasty icy stuff, and they both cost less. My top three winter tires right now are the new Altimax Arctic 12's, Nokian Hakka R2, or Michelin XIce3, in that order from most dig-happy tire, to best balance, to best ice tire. (Sans studs.)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I think it can be somewhat entertaining, depending on how you look at it. The car behaves much the same as with higher grip tires, just at a far lower threshold. Can make driving closer to the speed limit a little more fun...lol. It's kind of like hopping into an older sportscar from the 60's/70's with tall, skinny tires.
I feel so much more like I am one with the car with the smaller side wall and summer rubber, that stiff feeling you know. I have even been contemplating going 35% or 40% (depending on width of course) regardless of the ride quality, because it's not like it will be exponentially worse.... I hope
Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I feel so much more like I am one with the car with the smaller side wall and summer rubber, that stiff feeling you know. I have even been contemplating going 35% or 40% (depending on width of course) regardless of the ride quality, because it's not like it will be exponentially worse.... I hope
My opinion, in the winter I'll give some of that up to get my bumper and under carriage a bit higher and out of harms way. During winter I'm less concerned about feeling one with the car, and more concerned about trying to avoid becoming one with all the potholes everywhere...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-08-2017), yelsew (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #22
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
My opinion, in the winter I'll give some of that up to get my bumper and under carriage a bit higher and out of harms way. During winter I'm less concerned about feeling one with the car, and more concerned about trying to avoid becoming one with all the potholes everywhere...
Well of course, I meant for summer to reduce the side wall to either 35 or 40 on my next set of rubber, which will be paired with some new wheels as well.

I'm just trying to stay alive in winter lol
Old 12-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #23
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Pirelli's are usually a bit pricey for what you get IMO. What are you looking for out your winters?
To be able to drive on plowed roads in RI/Mass through the Winter, while maintaining some handling precision. I was only looking at the "Performance Winter/Snow" category tires.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #24
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Jordanwolf: you can get slight/some of that stiffness back with extra air pressure, lowering sidewall, slight stretching .. but don't. Imho 2/3rds of that squirming/moving around is from tire's rubber type/thread pattern. So you won't get much out of your tries, except compromising grip, pricier tires, worse bad roads compliance. Just grit the teeths and get as given that (good) winter tires will feel different . Also imho ability to drive with ease on iced/unplown snow roads/steep driveways/uphills, overtaking crawling with spinning tires and out of control AWD SUVs (simply because they are still on summers or on some worse all seasons) is fun in itself. So is some drift fun on ice/snow. Just give up and live with that for 4-3 months till spring. Tries to get back specific feel will compromise what's more important.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (12-08-2017), Tcoat (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #25
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Jordanwolf: you can get slight/some of that stiffness back with extra air pressure, lowering sidewall, slight stretching .. but don't. Imho 2/3rds of that squirming/moving around is from tire's rubber type/thread pattern. So you won't get much out of your tries, except compromising grip, pricier tires, worse bad roads compliance. Just grit the teeths and get as given that (good) winter tires will feel different . Also imho ability to drive with ease on iced/unplown snow roads/steep driveways/uphills, overtaking crawling with spinning tires and out of control AWD SUVs (simply because they are still on summers or on some worse all seasons) is fun in itself. So is some drift fun on ice/snow. Just give up and live with that for 4-3 months till spring. Tries to get back specific feel will compromise what's more important.
I am eagerly waiting for a decent snowfall for some parking lot hooning lol
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #26
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Will any 16 inch wheels fit over the PP brakes? I was of the impression they require 17 inch at least...
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #27
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Will any 16 inch wheels fit over the PP brakes? I was of the impression they require 17 inch at least...
FWIW, tirerack.com doesn't list anything narrower than 17s. Doesn't mean you can't find anything, tho, I guess
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #28
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
To be able to drive on plowed roads in RI/Mass through the Winter, while maintaining some handling precision. I was only looking at the "Performance Winter/Snow" category tires.
If you're going for plowed roads and aren't worried about going out if it's bad, the XIce3 is a champ.

Tags
tires, tires and wheels, tires help, winter