follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #589
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyTypeR View Post
I'm planning a DS build for 2021. I went about two dozen pages deep into this thread and yielded not a whole lot of helpful information when it comes to upgrades to yield measurable gains.

What's the deal with shocks/struts? The two obvious options are Koni Yellows (I'm aware about the washer needed) or Bilsteins (B6 or B8). What are you guys doing here?

There's also the one bar mod. I believe the consensus leans towards a thicc front bar but does anybody do differently? I run in Ontario so our courses are often smaller and slower. I'm considering not touching my bars.

Lastly, intake & exhaust. I don't see much of a point in either... Exhaust can yield some weight loss but it's likely as negligible as the "power" increase from an air filter or cat-back.

I'm more interested in making the right strut choice. Furthermore, would Koni Yellows (for DS) work with appropriate lowering springs when comes the time for me to go STX build?

I'm 100% confident in my driver mod. I'm looking for mechanical advantages that give me measurable results.
Not to rain on your parade here but a DS build is a huge investment for a car that's not classed well and could be completely dwarfed by the GR86 in 2022. I'd be hesitant to go all in on DS until the future is more clear.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #590
DonkeyTypeR
That SAAB guy...

Drives: 2018 BRZ; 2002 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Not to rain on your parade here but a DS build is a huge investment for a car that's not classed well and could be completely dwarfed by the GR86 in 2022. I'd be hesitant to go all in on DS until the future is more clear.
That's a fair statement. The nice think about a carefully planned DS build is that I can stay in a competitive GT4 class at Ontario Time Attack.

That said, do you believe an STX build is a preferable option to a DS build? Or would you go full retard straight to DSP?
DonkeyTypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #591
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
That said, do you believe an STX build is a preferable option to a DS build? Or would you go full retard straight to DSP?
All those classes may be impacted by the GR86.
How soon til we see one, see how much it weighs?

Limited prep DSP doesn't sound like much fun.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #592
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
That's a fair statement. The nice think about a carefully planned DS build is that I can stay in a competitive GT4 class at Ontario Time Attack.

The cost of an entry level STX build can be just $1,000-$2,000 more than DS and be instantly competitive. It really depends on if you're looking to compete or if you're looking to learn. A DS / SSC twin is definitely one of the best cars to improve your driving in.

I have no desire to ever be in DSP so can't speak to that.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #593
DonkeyTypeR
That SAAB guy...

Quote:
The cost of an entry level STX build can be just $1,000-$2,000 more than DS and be instantly competitive. It really depends on if you're looking to compete or if you're looking to learn. A DS / SSC twin is definitely one of the best cars to improve your driving in.

I have no desire to ever be in DSP so can't speak to that.

I've decided that, considering my car has less than 30'000km, Koni Yellows will provide me a very small improvement over my existing stock setup.
I will give DS a shot next year, I will max out OE alignment (camber) with the OE crash bolts and I'll run on RE71Rs. I'll see how I fair against the competition and will make a decision regarding suspension at the end of next year.

That said, what are higher end options for performance struts?
Old 09-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #594
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've decided that, considering my car has less than 30'000km, Koni Yellows will provide me a very small improvement over my existing stock setup.
I will give DS a shot next year, I will max out OE alignment (camber) with the OE crash bolts and I'll run on RE71Rs. I'll see how I fair against the competition and will make a decision regarding suspension at the end of next year.

MCS is semi-plug and play, revalved Yellows or Bilsteins for less money then that (don't pay more than $250/corner imho). You'll have to do custom fabwork I think to get any other damper into Street spec. Or maybe MCS could sell you the perches that are compatible with another threaded damper, but not sure if anything would be 'better' then just going with the MCS in the first place, maybe sticking an adjuster valve/shaft on Bilstein from a BC could be cheaper then MCS but that's some frankenstein stuff, I'd only have one or two people I'd ask if they could do that. And it's probably not any better then just revalving a yellow.

https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...ca-stock-class

https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...brz-scion-fr-s
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #595
Roadphantom

Drives: FR-S - STX
Quote:

I ran DS for 3 years mostly on oem 2014 shocks and they are perfectly fine and will most likely provide a lot more compression than a Koni. The front sway bar and crash bolts will make the most difference. You mentioned Ontario, so I am assuming you'll be running mostly on very tight parking lot courses, which means that setup will be more than adequate IMO. Also, at a strictly local level, if you are not traveling to compete in SCCA National Tours etc, I don't think you need to spend that additional fund on fancy shocks because your driving will make most of the difference, not because you had better shocks.
Roadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadphantom For This Useful Post:
DonkeyTypeR (03-13-2021), strat61caster (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #596
DonkeyTypeR
That SAAB guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
I ran DS for 3 years mostly on oem 2014 shocks and they are perfectly fine and will most likely provide a lot more compression than a Koni. The front sway bar and crash bolts will make the most difference. You mentioned Ontario, so I am assuming you'll be running mostly on very tight parking lot courses, which means that setup will be more than adequate IMO. Also, at a strictly local level, if you are not traveling to compete in SCCA National Tours etc, I don't think you need to spend that additional fund on fancy shocks because your driving will make most of the difference, not because you had better shocks.
Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback. Traveling the the States is out of the question but I have every intention of competing at the Canadian Nationals.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #597
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:

If you're on RE71Rs instead of Yokohamas, even in a camber challenged class, you're still an also-ran. There's no point in doing a build at all if you're going to be on the nearly 1s slower tires.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #598
Roadphantom

Drives: FR-S - STX
Quote:
If you're on RE71Rs instead of Yokohamas, even in a camber challenged class, you're still an also-ran. There's no point in doing a build at all if you're going to be on the nearly 1s slower tires.
How popular are the A052 in your region locally? In Eastern Canada at least, I haven't even seen anyone run them mostly because of the large price difference here. Its about $450cdn between RE71R and A052 in 245/40/17 STX size.

Last edited by Roadphantom; 09-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Roadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #599
DonkeyTypeR
That SAAB guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
How popular are the A052 in your region locally? In Eastern Canada at least, I haven't even seen anyone run them mostly because of the large price difference here. Its about $450cdn between RE71R and A052 in 245/40/17 STX size.
At autocross I've seen one guy (in a BRZ) with A502's. He got them 4 weeks ago and melted through them since. He does a lot of time attack. The time attack boys are swearing by the A502s.

[edit: some dudes have unlimited tire budgets, this is not my reality.]

I've bought a pair of OE-sized RE71Rs since Costco currently has a good price. I may have to re-learn how to drive on them because I am very aggressive and use all of the RS4's slip angle. I'll keep my RS4s for daily and lapping and I will swap to RE71Rs for the events that call for them.

Next season is still up in the air due to covid. We had no CASC-Ontario Regionals this year and who knows, the same may be possible next year.

PITL is my autocross home base beer league. This season I have won my class and if I win my class at the last event I will be entered into the shootout! That said, I've been placing very well in raw times at this club, usually in the top 20 (out of +100 cars). I managed a 15th overall at event #7 so I am very happy with my driving. If CASC-OR is a no go for 2021, I can run the Bridgestones at PITL and I can compare my overall finishes based on this year's results; If the better tire gets me into the top 10 then I'm on the right path.

So 2021:
  • Stock everything
  • RE71Rs

It's too easy to get caught up and want to spend a bunch of money on parts that may only give me 1 second. Tires only it is!
Also, I own a Saab and that will probably require money to keep going.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #600
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think that is true at all.

Look at the Toledo Tour this past weekend. There were 9 cars in DS, 9 cars listed on Bridgestone. There were 10 cars in CS. One of those cars was on Yoks. He is an ex-national champion and he finished 3rd.

Looking at Bristol from 2 weeks ago, CS was won on Yoks, but I think it was the only street class winner on Yoks.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-21-2020)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #601
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So it seems that the 2021 rules have removed the BRZ Performance Pack from CS and dropped it to DS with the base models. The tS stays in CS.

Thoughts? Does this mean base models can upgrade to PP shocks, and brakes?
Old 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #602
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
So it seems that the 2021 rules have removed the BRZ Performance Pack from CS and dropped it to DS with the base models. The tS stays in CS.

Thoughts? Does this mean base models can upgrade to PP shocks, and brakes?

I'm actually kinda pissed with the change

I'm not sure about your regions specifically, but in ours, CS is slower than DS by a good 1-2 seconds. Even the ND Miata with an experienced driver.

DS has the Civic Type R, which is top dog in DS right now. 265 tires, 300HP. The Veloster N is another big player now too.

At our last event, the CTRs were getting a 41.8, Veloster low 42's. Top in CS? 43.8 ND Miata. Me in 175 run RE's... 45.1

Even with new tires, I think I'd be in the high 43's at best with the ND. There's a full 2 second difference on a ~45 second course with a CTR and twin.

The CTR is just 0.2-0.3 off AS times with hella good drivers. I think it's really a BS car at most. If anything, the BRZ both PP and non should be in CS with similar cars even though the PAX is worse than DS.

End rant on the CTRs. Our region now has 8 running this upcoming year. DS simply isn't the car for the twins at all now.
cmiovino is offline   Reply With Quote