follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #2115
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
There is so many variables to gas mileage that it really is not comparable. Tires and outside temperature are the two biggest.
There seem to be two general groups of Edelbrock experiences with fuel economy. Some like me seem to use a lot of fuel but others are happy with the increase in fuel consumption. Obviously the extra horsepower is coming from extra fuel consumption.

I admit to dipping deep into the throttle quite frequently but then I also cruise along in fifth gear in the city at 30-35 mph.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #2116
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
There seem to be two general groups of Edelbrock experiences with fuel economy. Some like me seem to use a lot of fuel but others are happy with the increase in fuel consumption. Obviously the extra horsepower is coming from extra fuel consumption.

I admit to dipping deep into the throttle quite frequently but then I also cruise along in fifth gear in the city at 30-35 mph.
I'm in the camp with bad fuel economy. Anecdotally, it seems like it's mainly 2013 models that have this issue when I compare user listed info and people on the forum who have mentioned poor fuel economy.

I was getting 18-20mpg on the CARB tune. After moving to the delicious tune, first tank of gas got me 22mpg.

I agree with your point on how crazy it is to see larger engines consume less gas. My 6 cylinder outback averages better fuel economy than my BRZ. At this point I've had to just accept this is what my BRZ will return with FI attached.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #2117
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
I'm in the camp with bad fuel economy. Anecdotally, it seems like it's mainly 2013 models that have this issue when I compare user listed info and people on the forum who have mentioned poor fuel economy.

I was getting 18-20mpg on the CARB tune. After moving to the delicious tune, first tank of gas got me 22mpg.

I agree with your point on how crazy it is to see larger engines consume less gas. My 6 cylinder outback averages better fuel economy than my BRZ. At this point I've had to just accept this is what my BRZ will return with FI attached.

Are you mostly city miles and heavy on the foot ?

I have a 2013 and still see decent mpg on an aggressive tune and with e-85. Mostly California interstate miles and some windy back roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 AM   #2118
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Are you mostly city miles and heavy on the foot ?

I have a 2013 and still see decent mpg on an aggressive tune and with e-85. Mostly California interstate miles and some windy back roads.

type of miles has been consistent. I don't feel like I'm heavy on the gas, rpms are usually under 4k.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #2119
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It's probably foot related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post

When I first got my car I was averaging about 29mpg..

Then when I tuned it on E85, It went down to 16 or 17mpg. Going back after being used to driving on E85 with the additional power, I got 24mpg on 91.

After getting my license on probation and not being able to drive like that any more, back up to averaging 30 mpg...

You'd be surprised how much just occasionally stepping into it will lower your average MPG...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
Bfranklyn86 (04-03-2017), CSG Mike (04-03-2017), strat61caster (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #2120
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone running the TrackSpec hood louvers with their edelbrock ?

Trying to figure out if it will fit with the little gap we have between it and the hood.

Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #2121
dejahboi

Drives: 13 FRS - Boosted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm averaging 27 mpg and that's on a delicious tune. My commute 45-50 min on the highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
dejahboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #2122
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
New owner here of a 2017 and my EBSC is now going on. I had to share with someone who cares, so this thread is where I went. I only had a couple of hours, and hopefully I will be able to finish it up in the next couple of weekends, but I am all alone on the install.

So it Begins.......

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1491240414
Attached Images

brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-03-2017), CounterSpace Garage (04-03-2017), CSG Mike (04-03-2017), Silverfox (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #2123
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Trying to figure out if it will fit with the little gap we have between it and the hood.

It fits no problem.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #2124
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
New owner here of a 2017 and my EBSC is now going on. I had to share with someone who cares, so this thread is where I went. I only had a couple of hours, and hopefully I will be able to finish it up in the next couple of weekends, but I am all alone on the install.
EBSC? "Edel Brock Super Charger"?

Definitely doable by yourself, but I would try to recruit a friend when lowering the manifold. It's a little heavy but more importantly, incredibly awkward to place and is very susceptible to tearing the manifold gasket if you try to "slide" it into place.

Who's doing your tune? CARB? If so, make sure you have the tune file on-hand so it's ready to flash (besides, the instructions specify you flash it first anyway)

Good luck!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #2125
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

It sure does (it's super tight toward the rear but you gain a TON of airflow through the rest)

There's pictures floating around somewhere...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #2126
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
EBSC? "Edel Brock Super Charger"?

Definitely doable by yourself, but I would try to recruit a friend when lowering the manifold. It's a little heavy but more importantly, incredibly awkward to place and is very susceptible to tearing the manifold gasket if you try to "slide" it into place.

Who's doing your tune? CARB? If so, make sure you have the tune file on-hand so it's ready to flash (besides, the instructions specify you flash it first anyway)

Good luck!
yeah I have a waiting list of friends ready to come over for step. 100 in the manual. I do think it is very cool that the 100th step of installation is lowering the Supercharger into the car.

But, I am aware of the gaskets tearing. I am glad you mentioned it, but it has been my big fear...since a torn manifold gasket seems to cause problems that hard to find. So, its on my mind. And, I would never try to install the SC by myself. Most of my install is from 5am to 8am, that's why I am alone. This way the wife isn't on my butt for being in the garage all day. But there, will be a mini party in my garage when I install the SC.

And, yes so far the install is like a big lego set. I am moving slowly and carefully taking my time, I want to savor the install. Its not often I get to do a project like this on my own car.

Tune is already loaded. I will be running Delicious. In fact I was already running a tune from them, to fit my ACE and FF setup.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (04-04-2017), Silverfox (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #2127
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Edelbrock tune works for the uprated 2017 engine, already?
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #2128
Im_SPEED

Drives: FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
yeah I have a waiting list of friends ready to come over for step. 100 in the manual. I do think it is very cool that the 100th step of installation is lowering the Supercharger into the car.

But, I am aware of the gaskets tearing. I am glad you mentioned it, but it has been my big fear...since a torn manifold gasket seems to cause problems that hard to find. So, its on my mind. And, I would never try to install the SC by myself. Most of my install is from 5am to 8am, that's why I am alone. This way the wife isn't on my butt for being in the garage all day. But there, will be a mini party in my garage when I install the SC.

And, yes so far the install is like a big lego set. I am moving slowly and carefully taking my time, I want to savor the install. Its not often I get to do a project like this on my own car.

Tune is already loaded. I will be running Delicious. In fact I was already running a tune from them, to fit my ACE and FF setup.
I just lubed the crap out of the seals with urea grease just in case
i had to move it around. no tearing!
Im_SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote