follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
I'm a little confused, is the front mount turbo design patented? Sounds like FT86MS is simply making a turbo kit that's affordable and made in Canada to reduce costs to Canadian owners, they don't even advertise on US markets..

Are they copying JDL, HKS, SBD, or Greddy? Because they all look identical.
Zoom in on the picture. The charge pipe straight up says GReddy.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Such a lazy copy they couldn't even remove the GReddy logo from the casting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-10-2021), villainous_frx (09-09-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Such a lazy copy they couldn't even remove the GReddy logo from the casting.

After reading about and experiencing their terrible professionalism first hand, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I'd rather pay hundreds extra in exchange rates, duties, taxes, and brokerage fees than ever deal with those guys again.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #18
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
After reading about and experiencing their terrible professionalism first hand, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I'd rather pay hundreds extra in exchange rates, duties, taxes, and brokerage fees than ever deal with those guys again.
I've had the opposite experience. I've been buying from them 4 years now and nothing but good things to say. Chatted about products on fb for literally hours. I ordered a set of wheels and they ended up being back ordered with no ETA. So I asked if I could switch to another set, one that also happened to be $100 cheaper. When I asked for their Paypal to transfer the difference, they said 'don't worry about it', which is awesome. Just once they didn't have the colour of the part I ordered, so they got in touch with me and asked if it's okay to send out the other colour, which I didn't care about. That would be the only minor thing to happen in 4 years and multiple thousands spent. Also if you do happen to get the genuine kit, it's more likely to be thousands more expensive, not hundreds, although I do agree that genuine products should be purchased to support the manufacturers. But the semi-local support of this kit definitely has me thinking about it.
scottryan (09-14-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #19
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My experience with them has been literally 100% opposite. No communication unless I reach out, they're angry at me for reaching out, flat out lying about time lines until directed pressed...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:12 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I've had the opposite experience. I've been buying from them 4 years now and nothing but good things to say. Chatted about products on fb for literally hours. I ordered a set of wheels and they ended up being back ordered with no ETA. So I asked if I could switch to another set, one that also happened to be $100 cheaper. When I asked for their Paypal to transfer the difference, they said 'don't worry about it', which is awesome. Just once they didn't have the colour of the part I ordered, so they got in touch with me and asked if it's okay to send out the other colour, which I didn't care about. That would be the only minor thing to happen in 4 years and multiple thousands spent. Also if you do happen to get the genuine kit, it's more likely to be thousands more expensive, not hundreds, although I do agree that genuine products should be purchased to support the manufacturers. But the semi-local support of this kit definitely has me thinking about it.
You supporting replicas is about the same as you getting laid off from work, only to be replaced by someone not quite as good as you, but willing to do the same work for a fraction of the pay.

Supporting the copycat only promotes more copycats; when all the innovators go out of business, there will be nothing to copy.

Quite a few products have been discontinued and some replicas being sold as authentic, and more than a handful of companies have gone out of business from the real deal not selling in lieu of a copycat that takes zero R&D, and made in a factory in Asia.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #21
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
You supporting replicas is about the same as you getting laid off from work, only to be replaced by someone not quite as good as you, but willing to do the same work for a fraction of the pay.

Supporting the copycat only promotes more copycats; when all the innovators go out of business, there will be nothing to copy.

Quite a few products have been discontinued and some replicas being sold as authentic, and more than a handful of companies have gone out of business from the real deal not selling in lieu of a copycat that takes zero R&D, and made in a factory in Asia.
Yep I agree with that. Unfortunately buying genuine in Canada is a lot more expensive than buying genuine in the US. There's the higher cost in general due to it being a smaller market, then tax, exchange rate and duties. I'd like to support the manufacturers (and I do) but theoretically speaking I need to also look out for myself.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #22
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Yep I agree with that. Unfortunately buying genuine in Canada is a lot more expensive than buying genuine in the US. There's the higher cost in general due to it being a smaller market, then tax, exchange rate and duties. I'd like to support the manufacturers (and I do) but theoretically speaking I need to also look out for myself.
An authentic GReddy kit was about double the cost of a SBD kit in the US. It's easy to be cheaper when your only expense is copying, not innovating. Duties, taxes, and exchange rates universally apply, whether you're buying the genuine article or a cheap copy, just how you pay duties and registration whether you have a Kia soul, a BRZ/86, or a GT3.

You can rationalize your choice however you want; it doesn't change the choice made.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
An authentic GReddy kit was about double the cost of a SBD kit in the US. It's easy to be cheaper when your only expense is copying, not innovating. Duties, taxes, and exchange rates universally apply, whether you're buying the genuine article or a cheap copy, just how you pay duties and registration whether you have a Kia soul, a BRZ/86, or a GT3.

You can rationalize your choice however you want; it doesn't change the choice made.
I had a long post typed up and lost it.

Mike, you have no right to try and make him feel guilty.

There's a couple of business models here. Greddy develops the products and YOU pay for that R&D and quality. It works. Greddy knows it will be copied and soon as it hits the market.hey rely on their name, quality and skill.

The other is copy their shit and sell at crappy margins...

Buyers have never had as many choices as they do today. I doubt anyone here has a house full of products that are all US made. What about your tool boxes?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (12-02-2021), scottryan (09-15-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #24
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I had a long post typed up and lost it.

Mike, you have no right to try and make him feel guilty.

There's a couple of business models here. Greddy develops the products and YOU pay for that R&D and quality. It works. Greddy knows it will be copied and soon as it hits the market.hey rely on their name, quality and skill.

The other is copy their shit and sell at crappy margins...

Buyers have never had as many choices as they do today. I doubt anyone here has a house full of products that are all US made. What about your tool boxes?
Actually, the copies have far larger margins. The a non-replica turbocharger will often cost more than the *entire* replica turbo kit.

The vast majority of my tools are used craftsman drop forged in the USA; the china made stuff breaks and while sure, there's a lifetime warranty, my time time wasted is far more valuable than the few bucks saved. I go out of my way to stop by garage sales to hunt down older tools. Anything critical, I buy snap-on. In the case I need harbor freight fill-ins, I typically have multiples because they can and will fail.

But, again, this is not about part origin, but about giving the innovator credit, because they simply lack the resources to go after someone copying their product for zero payout.

GReddy lacks the resources to burn to shut down copies; they're a small company in Irvine. 7BN net worth Edelbrock will spend whatever it takes to make sure there's no counterfeits or replicas.

If you don't get it, that's fine. Some folks will always vote for themselves, while others will vote to keep innovation alive.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #25
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Oh Mike wasn't making me feel bad. I was just speaking theoretically. All the parts on my car are genuine, from Enkei, DAMD, Artisan Spirits, Perrin, Radium, WC Lathe Works, Intec, Corsa, Verus, Whiteline... to name a few! I definitely don't *want* to buy a copied item. I was just speaking theoretically on how one would be very inclined to do it if there's a massive financial incentive.
CSG Mike (09-11-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #26
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually, the copies have far larger margins. The a non-replica turbocharger will often cost more than the *entire* replica turbo kit.

The vast majority of my tools are used craftsman drop forged in the USA; the china made stuff breaks and while sure, there's a lifetime warranty, my time time wasted is far more valuable than the few bucks saved. I go out of my way to stop by garage sales to hunt down older tools. Anything critical, I buy snap-on. In the case I need harbor freight fill-ins, I typically have multiples because they can and will fail.

But, again, this is not about part origin, but about giving the innovator credit, because they simply lack the resources to go after someone copying their product for zero payout.

GReddy lacks the resources to burn to shut down copies; they're a small company in Irvine. 7BN net worth Edelbrock will spend whatever it takes to make sure there's no counterfeits or replicas.

If you don't get it, that's fine. Some folks will always vote for themselves, while others will vote to keep innovation alive.

They do everything in mass. You're not buying one of these at a time and (or even 10) There margins are lower. I've been buying products from all over the world for 20+ years. We import from Germany, USA, Argentina, China, etc. That's the world we live in. Things are starting to shift though and manufacturers are looking for new locations. Consumers are starting to dislike the "Made in China" tag. Rest assured, production won't be coming back to NA anytime soon unless people are willing to work for $5/Hr.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/princeg...h=5f5df33ec2f2

https://www.financialexpress.com/opi...world/2240670/

I'm not defending this I'm just stating facts. This is the way the world works. ALL manufactures know this. It's not a secret, Mike.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
FT86Z (08-20-2023), scottryan (09-15-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #27
bucketfoot

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I fully agree on not buying knock-offs, but Mike please tell me how buying used is any better? You are cannibalizing a sale from the original manufacturer either way.

In your example, I understand that the real Craftsman no longer exists today, but if they did your buying used tools instead of new (just because they are cheaper) isn't really any better... is it?
scottryan (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
I fully agree on not buying knock-offs, but Mike please tell me how buying used is any better? You are cannibalizing a sale from the original manufacturer either way.

In your example, I understand that the real Craftsman no longer exists today, but if they did your buying used tools instead of new (just because they are cheaper) isn't really any better... is it?
Craftsman is already a dead brand. It doesn't benefit a dead brand for me to purchase a product that doesn't exist either.

Tags
brz, ft86ms, motorsports, turbo